Super User
Super User

Re: Play Off Semi-final - Sale - 14th May 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Pellsey wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:08 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:07 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:05 pm

Yup, he needs the gametime.
I don't understand why he was frozen out, was in good form then just vanished, really strange
I guess it corralated with Pollard's return to form?
not really even when Pollard returned and started to shine Atkinson was still getting lots of game time and playing well and then he just disappeared
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Some good things, Kelly excellent and our defence solid. Good attacking intent but less so the execution. Watson woefully underused.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

That ended in disappointing fashion - but kudos to Sale. We won the final last year by ‘out-Sarrieing Sarries’ - but Sale just ‘out-Tigered us! Fierce up front, and controlled kicking game from 9, 10, 12.

Lots of positives to look forward to next season - hopefully McKellar can sprinkle some stardust and give us an added dimension. Feel like Tigers are 90% there - we just need that craft/guile to turn to when we are matched for ‘grunt’,
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

After a valiant 64 minutes a combination of poor skill execution and bad judgement gifted this game to Sale.

I hope Sale beat the Saracens, but sadly I cannot see it happening.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Criticism on players is natural, but unwarranted today I thought. No one had a bad game. The players fought for everything. Yes the two missed touch’s were key factors, but you can’t begrudge Charlie and Jack for not going for broke. If they had kicked a safe kick that was 10-15m out, people would be saying why not go for close to the 5m? Yes there are better times to go for it, but you can’t fault that attitude.

Sale were just a touch ahead today. They deserve their win - and I’ll be supporting them at Twickenham.

I’m immensely proud of the players and stuff and everyone. The fight they have had this season is second to none. I hope they have a good celebration of a class second second half to the season. Enjoy their break and come back with the fire to hit next season running.

Always a proud Tigers fan - none more so today.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do think the bye weeks :censored: both sale and us a bit
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:16 pm Criticism on players is natural, but unwarranted today I thought. No one had a bad game. The players fought for everything. Yes the two missed touch’s were key factors, but you can’t begrudge Charlie and Jack for not going for broke. If they had kicked a safe kick that was 10-15m out, people would be saying why not go for close to the 5m? Yes there are better times to go for it, but you can’t fault that attitude.

Sale were just a touch ahead today. They deserve their win - and I’ll be supporting them at Twickenham.

I’m immensely proud of the players and stuff and everyone. The fight they have had this season is second to none. I hope they have a good celebration of a class second second half to the season. Enjoy their break and come back with the fire to hit next season running.

We’ll said. Also think we’ll have more firepower next season with OHC, Shilcock, Bassett and Kata.
A2O
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:24 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:16 pm Criticism on players is natural, but unwarranted today I thought. No one had a bad game. The players fought for everything. Yes the two missed touch’s were key factors, but you can’t begrudge Charlie and Jack for not going for broke. If they had kicked a safe kick that was 10-15m out, people would be saying why not go for close to the 5m? Yes there are better times to go for it, but you can’t fault that attitude.

We’ll said. Also think we’ll have more firepower next season with OHC, Shilcock, Bassett and Kata.
we just need to develop a plan to use them, our backs are capable of being far more attacking than we currently set up to be
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Hope our new Head Coach can finally give us what we so badly need and what has been missing for far to long. An effective attack through the backs.

Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:26 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:24 pm

we just need to develop a plan to use them, our backs are capable of being far more attacking than we currently set up to be
Our attacking play has improved over the course of the season and is probably ahead of where it was at the end of last season.

Losing Pollard before the game was a huge blow. George Ford was the difference between the two teams, he would have had a much tougher task up against Pollard that's for sure.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Disappointing, but in the whole scheme of things taking into account what the RFU did to us, not a bad season.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Proud of the season all things considered - Sale deserved the win today and I am not sure Pollard would have made enough difference - had Sale been as clinical in the 5 as they should have been the gap was going to be 20+ points.

Thought Julian Montoya didn't 'read the room' quick enough today and got on the wrong side of Barnes. Also clearly got on the wrong side of Foley as a result. Not sure with the mitigation Cole shouldn't have just been a penalty (seen far worse get nothing - like the first few minutes at Sarries for example).

Ah well, not much to complain about this season - looking forward to the next!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Oh well. Bummer that we lost but to be in a semi after the season we've had was great.

Roll on next season!

COYT!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

I agree with the comments regarding our season - the coaching team and the players have been excellent given the RFU “curve ball” that came our way and to get into the play offs and fight hard against an excellent Sale team is kudos to their effort.

Ford was a significant difference today - didn’t put a foot wrong and was often imperious. Pollard could have made the difference for us as he has been in fine form. Jimmy stepped in but was far from error free.

I do worry about JVP and Steward as others have said on this and other posts. Neither have been the same player in the 2nd half of the season. Still good but not the levels we saw last season. They are some of the precious stones in our Crown Jewels (forgive the pun) that are our future.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me in some ways it was Reffell’s best game for the club. I’ve never rated him as highly as others and been critical about him against a big pack like Sale or South Africa. But he was the best flanker on the pitch, head and shoulders above both Curry twins. Some quality tackles and turnovers. Also saw more ball in hand too.