Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Play Off Semi-final - Sale - 14th May 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by chris111 »

fentiger wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:14 pm
Knightonian wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:09 pm
fentiger wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:51 pm
Our centres are better without Manu!
Wouldn't swap fly-halves! Never thought a few months back that I would say that!
Nor me in fact I don’t see many I would swap and that also includes Manu
I know I’ll be blasted for saying it, but taking a dispassionate view of it I’d have to pick the two Currys over Hanro and Tommy, and Schonbert over Dan. If he was fully fit, playing as he was last season, George Ford would just edge the 10 shirt for me - but as it stands think Pollard just edges it.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Yep I’d take T Curry and JLDP over Reffell and Henderson. Could make a good argument for the other Curry too but still would be max of 3/4 players in our XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Just noticed on the team sheet, it will be Tommy Turnover's 100th game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

chris111 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:49 pm
Knightonian wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Nor me in fact I don’t see many I would swap and that also includes Manu
I know I’ll be blasted for saying it, but taking a dispassionate view of it I’d have to pick the two Currys over Hanro and Tommy, and Schonbert over Dan. If he was fully fit, playing as he was last season, George Ford would just edge the 10 shirt for me - but as it stands think Pollard just edges it.
Schonert not fit to lace Dan’s boots
A2O
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:08 pm
Thought my post might provoke some strong counter arguments! Would be interested in hearing if there are other positions you feel Sale do have an edge, though. Alternatively, if you’d stick with an all-Tigers line up, I guess the question to ask is how Sale managed to finish 10 points up in the table this season….
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

chris111 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:35 pm

Thought my post might provoke some strong counter arguments! Would be interested in hearing if there are other positions you feel Sale do have an edge, though. Alternatively, if you’d stick with an all-Tigers line up, I guess the question to ask is how Sale managed to finish 10 points up in the table this season….
They finished 10 points up because they didn’t have the heart ripped out of their coaching set up and weren’t majorly affected by six nations call ups.
A2O
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:46 pm
They finished 10 points up because they didn’t have the heart ripped out of their coaching set up and weren’t majorly affected by six nations call ups.
I don't think that was the reason, the start of the season when Borthwick and Sinfield were still here is when we lost ground from the top 2. I think there is even an argument to be made that had they stayed and Wiggy not taken over we might not be in the playoffs, but of course that is all what ifs and conjecture.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wigworth wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:00 pm

I don't think that was the reason, the start of the season when Borthwick and Sinfield were still here is when we lost ground from the top 2. I think there is even an argument to be made that had they stayed and Wiggy not taken over we might not be in the playoffs, but of course that is all what ifs and conjecture.
The effect of Borthwick and Sinfield going isn't conjecture, players have confirmed how devastating it was.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It was deviating but same time we wasn’t exactly performing with them either
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

jgriffin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:02 pm
wigworth wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:00 pm
The effect of Borthwick and Sinfield going isn't conjecture, players have confirmed how devastating it was.
And yet are playing better than at any point when Borthwick and Sinfield were here at the start of the season, we played our worst rugby at the start of the season under Borthwick. I don't doubt it had an emotional toll on the players, I have read the pieces, but to say we were behind the top 2 just because the coaching staff left is disingenuous to how the season actually played out, we were behind from the very get go not some aberration that occurred after they left.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The start of our season was pretty inept & wasn't great until Danny Wilson got involved.

The jury is very much out on all of the England Coaching Set Up.(after the domestic season is put to bed)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The balance of more away games in the first half of the season gave the league a bad look….expect to win your home games and look where Tigers have finished. Could have been a different story if they were not ravaged with 5 in play injuries at Sale followed by a Newcastle side who wanted to play quick flowing rugby.
Whoever has done what, the whole group have pulled together and fought for each other and the shirt.
Looking forward to Sunday!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

The mid-season disruption certainly had an impact - but the reality was that Tigers had not looked like repeating their title win in the first couple of months of the season.

Going back to where this discussion started, which was debating the match ups across the Tigers-Sale teams, I don’t think Sale get enough credit from many posters here. They’ve been in the top 2 all season, I think, and are deservedly favourites for Sunday. I had suggested 3-4 Sale players who would get my selection over some undoubtedly fine Tigers…. and given results across the season that would suggest that I didn’t manage to completely remove my red, white and green tinted glasses!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Two very well matched squads and at a neutral venue nothing to choose, home advantage just gives Sale the edge.

Other semi I just have a sneaky feeling that Saints back row and speedy backs will make the difference on a fast track.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:21 pm Two very well matched squads and at a neutral venue nothing to choose, home advantage just gives Sale the edge.

Other semi I just have a sneaky feeling that Saints back row and speedy backs will make the difference on a fast track.
Sarries will beat Stains by at least 12 points
A2O