Anthony Watson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anthony Watson

Post by Ian Cant »

Thought this might be worth it’s own headlines.Hope some of the media are right ( some say no help from RFU) that Tigers now looking to keep Anthony Watson with his salary until after the World Cup funded by the RFU! Maybe that’s what Andrea Pinchen insisted on for Harrison leaving to become England’s Scrum coach!
For now though I really do hope he’s fit for Sunday.
We will need him v Sale.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Anthony Watson

Post by trendylfj »

Great news if true that he MAY be staying but I will repeat what I said when it was rumoured that Sarries were getting him on the same deal - RFU funding until after the world cup - it almost seems like inventing a way to get around the cap issues by the RFU and the start of central contracts
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If the RFU covered his insurance costs and paid him match fees during the world cup that would be the same as every other player and effectively keep him employed until a club contract could start at the finish of the world cup.

He's likely to play every game plus at least one friendly so even if we went out at the group stage that's thee group games and one friendly, £80k? Likely to be more than that. Hardly living hand mouth.

Be great to keep him for another season or two. Would be a surprise though as he was quite open about looking for a move back down south for family reasons.
eastyorkstiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by eastyorkstiger »

maybe dosent fancy a plastic club??
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Didn't like it when rumoured at Sarries, don't like it now.
Why him? What does that say to other players...
It's not like he's Jona Lomu! Just let him go to France if he wants, then pick him anyway. The French can't employ all the rugby players in the world.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

It would be great to keep Anthony Watson for another season or two.

As for the idea of the RFU funding his salary above and beyond the usual stuff one gets when away with England, if true it’s completely bonkers. The RFU trying to get around the ill thought out consequences of their own rules. And completely ignoring all the other players struggling to get decent contracts based on decisions they and the PRU have made.

Just change the god damn rules!
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

I actually talked with him at the awards evening, I did ask him if he reads the press coverage of him leaving, when he said he didn’t bother I stated that he was reportedly looking to get back down south as he’s missed his family around, he did admit that was true but said it wasn’t that big of an issue, he went on to say he likes it at Tigers & talks were still ongoing, BYW he was sat next to Wiggy whilst we were talking, here’s hoping he will stay with us.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Pmvl wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:59 am I actually talked with him at the awards evening, I did ask him if he reads the press coverage of him leaving, when he said he didn’t bother I stated that he was reportedly looking to get back down south as he’s missed his family around, he did admit that was true but said it wasn’t that big of an issue, he went on to say he likes it at Tigers & talks were still ongoing, BYW he was sat next to Wiggy whilst we were talking, here’s hoping he will stay with us.
I hope he stays, too. I also hope that, as he was sitting where he was, he wasn't just being tactful.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Given the announcements of leavers list etc, and how the statement discussed who's signed what when, I think it was obvious we are still negotiating.

Wigglesworth stating it outright though in an interview to me suggests that he's probably at least leaning towards him signing as I can't imagine the club really getting drawn on it unless they had some confidence that they can get it over the line.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If the RFU pay him or other players, will their salary come out of the cap?

The clubs have to stay within the cap so if the RFU boost their salaries, that might save the club some money but have a big impact on the cap available to spend on other salaries.

If it’s outside the cap, other sides will feel it’s unfair.