LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:03 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:42 pm Shame to see Calum Green leaving. Always thought that he's underrated. Very consistent performer for us.

I think we're very light in the front and second row. I'm wondering if FVW was due to leave but having been gazumped for Tom West, maybe we've extended his contract so we've at least got some cover.
We've been spoilt by having both Cronin and West. Cronin, Whitcombe, van Wyk and Richardson is what we started this season with and it looks like what we'll start next season with. I think we might see another prop join but given we've got two THs in England contention it's probably more likely to be on that side of the scrum. Shame we couldn't get Alo in (he's gone to Ealing), he'd have been a good impact sub.
Tbf we also had Leatigaga in the scrum on both sides at the start of the season.

For me with Hurd, Whitcombe & Richardson all stepping forward, I don't think we need a first or 2nd choice, but we could do with at least one more.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:09 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:03 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:42 pm Shame to see Calum Green leaving. Always thought that he's underrated. Very consistent performer for us.

I think we're very light in the front and second row. I'm wondering if FVW was due to leave but having been gazumped for Tom West, maybe we've extended his contract so we've at least got some cover.
We've been spoilt by having both Cronin and West. Cronin, Whitcombe, van Wyk and Richardson is what we started this season with and it looks like what we'll start next season with. I think we might see another prop join but given we've got two THs in England contention it's probably more likely to be on that side of the scrum. Shame we couldn't get Alo in (he's gone to Ealing), he'd have been a good impact sub.
Tbf we also had Leatigaga in the scrum on both sides at the start of the season.

For me with Hurd, Whitcombe & Richardson all stepping forward, I don't think we need a first or 2nd choice, but we could do with at least one more.
Yeah that's what I was saying. Get a TH that can either be an impact sub or an experienced veteran who wouldn't mind playing a season or two down the pecking order whilst helping developing Hurd, Heyes and Hoyt.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Green will be missed.... Vastly underrated
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Green will be missed not sold on Sam Carter suggestion unless he just hated NI
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Might Kata be being lined-up if Watson succeeds in securing a contract elsewhere?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nah Kata is done deal
Looking at leavers he’s more likely imo Saumaki replacement

Shillcock def seems lined up for 10 cover now Gopperth is going.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:23 pm Green will be missed.... Vastly underrated
A proper nuts & bolts player, our scrum & lineout always better when he was playing, a possible future coach?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Wells and Green were very much first picks at the start of the year.

Then O.Chessum established himself as arguably the form lock in the country.

Then Martin and Henderson emerged as a formidable partnership.

And then L.Chessum tore it up for the U20s and showed what's coming next!

The picture has changed a lot in the second row. Sad to see our best lineout technician leave, but we've now got a very exciting young crop of players.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:21 am Wells and Green were very much first picks at the start of the year.

Then O.Chessum established himself as arguably the form lock in the country.

Then Martin and Henderson emerged as a formidable partnership.

And then L.Chessum tore it up for the U20s and showed what's coming next!

The picture has changed a lot in the second row. Sad to see our best lineout technician leave, but we've now got a very exciting young crop of players.
And that’s the point a great servant for the club but we have managed to have our best run of form for some time , playing winning entertaining rugby without him. We have to look at the riches we have for the future not what we once had
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:44 am Nah Kata is done deal
Looking at leavers he’s more likely imo Saumaki replacement

Shillcock def seems lined up for 10 cover now Gopperth is going.
I think Kata as 12 covers Gopperth as 12

Like you say Shillcock covers him at 10

Plus Kata can do the power role on the wing, while players like Simmons coming through also giving depth on the wing
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would have thought that Kata salary would be as much as Saumaki and Kini combined.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why?

He was on a 1 year deal with Exeter who I don’t think renewed it

Saumaki was signed he was a top try scorer in Japan would be amazed if Kata was on more than Saumaki
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:23 am Would have thought that Kata salary would be as much as Saumaki and Kini combined.
Kata doesn't really have a big name or playing record with which to inflate his salary. He's 28 and has 50 top level games in rugby union (and only if you include internationals). I think he'll be a good signing for us but he's not going to be a big earner. Kini signed with a lot of caps to his name and a large number of games in France under his belt. Saumaki was a punt.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kata can do in a Tigers shirt next season.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I too liked Callum Green. At least he has last year’s winners’ medal and the memory of outplaying Itoje.
All the players leaving have been very good for us.
As for Ashton: now a Tigers’ Legend.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Can anyone provide an update on Tom Manz? He’s come up a lot in conversation about next year, but the last time I remember him playing was the Connacht away trip. He didn’t seem to be involved in the Premiership Rugby Cup and Saints friendlies?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.