LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grumpy of Crumbie

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

No mention of Harry Potter?
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:33 pm No mention of Harry Potter?
Extended last year so he's definitely around next year
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

GB72 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:33 am After the previous years of churn, it is nice to see a relatively small leavers list this year
In Dan McKellar's podcast interview that was posted on here this week, he talked about how he subscribes to Ben Darwin's cohesion theory (having a settled team, familiar with one another is a big influence on success). So, we might expect that his focus will be on keeping this core group of championship-winning players together.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

In the article on the website/app it says full squad announcements will be made before pre season commences in July.
From that it may be that we will not get any further news on incoming players till after the season is over
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Forgot Kata. Yes, decent pickup for the power midfield option. Perhaps no need to add further there.
12. Kelly, Cockanasiga, Woodward
13. Porter, Scott, Kata, Cusick

I suppose with Martin playing more at lock, plus the emergence of Chessum/Carmichael/Carnduff on the horizon, it may be less of a pressing need, but still maybe a short term deal for someone whilst we are stripped of our internationals (plus Chessum’s injury), maybe a senior player winding down to help the raft of young locks we have.

Still think with Wiesse, Reffell getting called every international window, another 8 to replace Jansen would be advisable.
6. Liebenberg, Hatherall, (Chessum, Martin, Manz)
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Illone
8. Wiese, new 8?, (Cracknell/Liebenberg)

Then just wing to fill really I suppose.
OHC, Bassett, Potter, Simmons. Then you have Kata and Porter who can play there, plus Browning by the looks of it. If Watson stays, I’d be happy to leave well alone, but to lose Nadolo, Ashton, Watson, Saumaki and Murimurivalu would leave us a little light.

Agree with the comments above, another prop would be the bare minimum, maybe two, depending on how close Hoyt is viewed, and how much we’ll lose Cole & Heyes.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

chipnchase wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:51 am The Watson situation is a real shame, I'm sure we want to keep him but obviously he wants to move closer to family.

With the World Cup which club would want to shell out for him when he will be missing until November and then away again in the six nations. He fully deserves a big contract and he's up there with some of the best players in the world IMO.

Sad state of affairs again in the game where are best talent are able to demand market rate and our clubs cant afford to pay it!
He did comment on feeling a bit out of place and away from friends and family in Leicester, but he also said he was looking at France which is a tad further still. We’ll see…..
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:44 pm
Still think with Wiesse, Reffell getting called every international window, another 8 to replace Jansen would be advisable.
I think Hatherall has also played 8 quite a bit, so he could fill in there too if needed. I think we are ok in the back row.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Pellsey wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:51 pm
I think Hatherall has also played 8 quite a bit, so he could fill in there too if needed. I think we are ok in the back row.
Still only 6 players for 3 high attrition positions, taking into account 2 are regulars for their country, little too shallow on numbers for my liking. Allowing for the immediate cover Chessum/Martin are also likely starters at lock already.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

With Green announced as leaving I wonder if Sam Carter might be a target? He's leaving Ulster, knows McKellar from the Brumbies, is a good set-piece lock but won't cost a fortune at this stage of his career.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:28 pm
Pellsey wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:51 pm
Still only 6 players for 3 high attrition positions, taking into account 2 are regulars for their country, little too shallow on numbers for my liking. Allowing for the immediate cover Chessum/Martin are also likely starters at lock already.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us add an extra body. Possibly a Jansen style punt on the cheap. Weise being available during 6N time is a boost. We've got young talent coming through.

We've got a few locks on the books and at least three that can drop in at blindside should we need them to. With Green leaving/possibly retiring I do think we are either going to need the younger guys or perhaps be open for recruitment.

The new revamped cup comp is taking place during the world cup period which should reduce the impact of international call ups.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:02 pm With Green announced as leaving I wonder if Sam Carter might be a target? He's leaving Ulster, knows McKellar from the Brumbies, is a good set-piece lock but won't cost a fortune at this stage of his career.
He's managed 19 games (11 starts). Might still have something in the tank. Depends how highly we rate the young guys but on the flip side Wells is currently the oldest lock at the club by a distance and he isn't even 30.

A veteran lock on a one year deal and a project backrow would do the job nicely.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Shame to see Calum Green leaving. Always thought that he's underrated. Very consistent performer for us.

I think we're very light in the front and second row. I'm wondering if FVW was due to leave but having been gazumped for Tom West, maybe we've extended his contract so we've at least got some cover.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Don’t think it’s a case of Green leaving suspect he’s retiring. Regarding Van Wyk suspect he’s still under contract.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:05 pm Don’t think it’s a case of Green leaving suspect he’s retiring. Regarding Van Wyk suspect he’s still under contract.
Right on both counts I feel. As I’ve posted elsewhere Van Wyk is a decent 2/3rd choice prop and cost has to be a factor. The coaches also must see some leadership qualities in him as he captained the side against Saints in both games
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:42 pm Shame to see Calum Green leaving. Always thought that he's underrated. Very consistent performer for us.

I think we're very light in the front and second row. I'm wondering if FVW was due to leave but having been gazumped for Tom West, maybe we've extended his contract so we've at least got some cover.
We've been spoilt by having both Cronin and West. Cronin, Whitcombe, van Wyk and Richardson is what we started this season with and it looks like what we'll start next season with. I think we might see another prop join but given we've got two THs in England contention it's probably more likely to be on that side of the scrum. Shame we couldn't get Alo in (he's gone to Ealing), he'd have been a good impact sub.