LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Leatigaga - ?
Taufete’e - FTT
Snyman - ?
Green - ?
Jansen - Hatherall
Wigglesworth- Whiteley
Burns - Atkinson
Gopperth - ?
Nadolo - OHC
Ashton - Bassett
Saumaki -
Murimurivalu - Brown
Hegarty - Shilcock

Definitely room for a couple of additions still, prop, lock, still think we’re a back row player light, centre and wing. Perhaps some as yet undeclared signings already in the bag, or else salary cap kept back for McKellar to bring some players over with him, or maybe the odd RWC bolter?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by ay2oh »

We have signed Solomone Kata apparently who can play 11, 12, 13 and 14.
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Whilst Watson isn’t on the list I’d still be surprised if I saw him next season in a Tigers shirt. At a minimum I’ll expect to see:

Centre: Kata
LH: ???
Lock: ???
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 am Also looks like Van Wyk may be staying too.
I think it's a good call if so, particularly given we couldn't hold on to West. Post RWC there might be some other deals to be had, but I think in the current climate he's a reasonable back up to Cronin alongside the lesser spotted Whitcombe.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:44 am Whilst Watson isn’t on the list I’d still be surprised if I saw him next season in a Tigers shirt. At a minimum I’ll expect to see:

Centre: Kata
LH: ???
Lock: ???
Could Will Spencer be a lock option - depending on what else is on the table for him - filling the Snyman role? Age and expectation - alongside Wells - wise he'd be a good foil to what is becoming a very young selection of locks.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:37 am Leatigaga - ?
Taufete’e - FTT
Snyman - ?
Green - ?
Jansen - Hatherall
Wigglesworth- Whiteley
Burns - Atkinson
Gopperth - ?
Nadolo - OHC
Ashton - Bassett
Saumaki -
Murimurivalu - Brown
Hegarty - Shilcock

Definitely room for a couple of additions still, prop, lock, still think we’re a back row player light, centre and wing. Perhaps some as yet undeclared signings already in the bag, or else salary cap kept back for McKellar to bring some players over with him, or maybe the odd RWC bolter?
I don't see us replacing Saumaki if we get Watson to stay.... think he's basically replaced by Simmons and Browning stepping up.

Gopperth I think maybe where Kata is coming in.

Hatherell I see replacing Green more with Martin moving to lock, as Hatherell will be in around the 23 more. Question is do we back Ilione to fill the Jansen spot? Or need more cover.

Again with Snyman, I wonder if the emergence of Lewis Chessum, Tom Manz & Rob Carmichael means we are going to give them a run and see if we need to fill that.

With it being a world cup year I wouldn't be adverse to us keeping a bit of cap free for any emerging stars.

Think we'll announce a couple more soon with the academy promotions but don't see it being a big list.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

If Browning is to stay, I think he has got a serious amount of stepping up to do, especially in defence. In this regard, he reminds me of Olowafela.

I think at lock, we are ok, especially with the youngsters coming through (Chessum, Carmicheal). In the backs, we should also be fine, IMHO.

At prop, I think we could do with a couple more reinforcements with decent scrummaging abilities. Back row.. maybe...
Last edited by Pellsey on Fri May 05, 2023 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:43 am We have signed Solomone Kata apparently who can play 11, 12, 13 and 14.
Already mentioned about 6 pages back. Confirmed by him but not either club
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

FVW is a good quality 3rd choice loosehead, behind Cronin and Whitcombe, he has plenty of premiership experience should he need to step up. McKellar front row knowledge may help.

Last bits I saw about Watson were the RFU trying to get involved with a contract. It might be that the best he can get is a post World Cup contract for Tigers and then to look elsewhere.
As good as he is there isn’t a shortage of quality back 3 players that clubs need to spend large amounts
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

After the previous years of churn, it is nice to see a relatively small leavers list this year with some of those down to retirment (I assume Gopperth is retiring but he could have another year in him). The mid season leavers were mainly surplus to requirements and allowed some wiggle room over the year and so also seems good business.

It is a nice change to see the core of the side from the last couple of years still with us and still building.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

The Watson situation is a real shame, I'm sure we want to keep him but obviously he wants to move closer to family.

With the World Cup which club would want to shell out for him when he will be missing until November and then away again in the six nations. He fully deserves a big contract and he's up there with some of the best players in the world IMO.

Sad state of affairs again in the game where are best talent are able to demand market rate and our clubs cant afford to pay it!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:33 am After the previous years of churn, it is nice to see a relatively small leavers list this year with some of those down to retirment (I assume Gopperth is retiring but he could have another year in him). The mid season leavers were mainly surplus to requirements and allowed some wiggle room over the year and so also seems good business.

It is a nice change to see the core of the side from the last couple of years still with us and still building.
I actually doubt Gopperth's retiring, think he'll be joining a Wasps team in the Championship.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:57 am
GB72 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:33 am After the previous years of churn, it is nice to see a relatively small leavers list this year with some of those down to retirment (I assume Gopperth is retiring but he could have another year in him). The mid season leavers were mainly surplus to requirements and allowed some wiggle room over the year and so also seems good business.

I actually doubt Gopperth's retiring, think he'll be joining a Wasps team in the Championship.
Agreed player/coach role possibly
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:57 am

That was my other thought.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:24 am Browning not on the list either?
I assumed FVW would be on that list also, must’ve been a longer deal than first thought.
He could well have signed a two year deal last time though.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!