LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by ABClub »

James Slipper is out of contract, knows McKellar from Brumbies and Oz, at the age where he may consider a move away. Plus we need LH depth. That'd be the obvious with a McKellar connection.

Ollie Sapsford would add depth across centre and wing but particularly another solid 13 option. If we could afford Matt Proctor I'd probably prefer the former Saints man there but Sapsford is a good player.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Chobbsy »

ABClub wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:48 pm James Slipper is out of contract, knows McKellar from Brumbies and Oz, at the age where he may consider a move away. Plus we need LH depth. That'd be the obvious with a McKellar connection.

Ollie Sapsford would add depth across centre and wing but particularly another solid 13 option. If we could afford Matt Proctor I'd probably prefer the former Saints man there but Sapsford is a good player.
I would prefer Matt's brother Billy a real class act
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Slipper would be a very useful signing, can cover TH in an emergency as well.

I doubt we'd be interested in either Proctor brother as they'd both be expensive. Matt was allegedly on a fair wedge at Saints.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:54 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:48 pm James Slipper is out of contract, knows McKellar from Brumbies and Oz, at the age where he may consider a move away. Plus we need LH depth. That'd be the obvious with a McKellar connection.

I would prefer Matt's brother Billy a real class act
Agreed though I doubt he's leaving NZ just yet.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:53 am Mods feel free to delete but:

Who is your fantasy signing to fit in this squad? For me it would be a certain stocky little French #9.
If not Dupont, Cheslin Kolbe please - what a player.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

They would be good additions ABC.

Anyone know of any decent backrowers that McKellar might fancy bringing along?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:08 pm I hope they won’t mind me putting this here, but a fascinating chat/interview with Dan McKellar. The more I hear the more I think he will be a fantastic fit at Tigers. Looking forwards to seeing how the lads perform at the back end of the season, but feels like we are in a good place heading into next.

https://twitter.com/haribaldijones/stat ... b-r2NTDTpQ
RTR - thanks for posting this, it's a great listen and everything about McKellar screams Tigers ! He's already got the bug it seems.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:05 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:08 pm I hope they won’t mind me putting this here, but a fascinating chat/interview with Dan McKellar. The more I hear the more I think he will be a fantastic fit at Tigers. Looking forwards to seeing how the lads perform at the back end of the season, but feels like we are in a good place heading into next.

RTR - thanks for posting this, it's a great listen and everything about McKellar screams Tigers ! He's already got the bug it seems.
No problem! Great to hear how he is already invested heavily in the team and the club as a whole! I love how he is already saying "we"!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:17 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:05 pm

No problem! Great to hear how he is already invested heavily in the team and the club as a whole! I love how he is already saying "we"!!
.....and he's already experienced the MW Welford Road factor...and loved it !
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I also found it interesting how he name checked a few players who he thought would make good coaches - including one of our own, Lachlan McCaffrey.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Increases Cam Hendersons chances of going to the WC - https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1178227730?-1 ... t_news#out.

Wonder if we will monitor the progress and get someone in as short term cover given the injuries to Green and Chessum and Synman departing? May leave us with limited cover if Martin also selected
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

happywomble wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 am Increases Cam Hendersons chances of going to the WC - https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1178227730?-1 ... t_news#out.

Wonder if we will monitor the progress and get someone in as short term cover given the injuries to Green and Chessum and Synman departing? May leave us with limited cover if Martin also selected
If we assume that (forget about injuries)....Chessum (O), Henderson & Martin are away with the World Cup, Snyman is leaving, we're left with Wells & Green, with Manz and Chessum (L) probably featuring during the Cup competition at the start of the season. An international lock would be hard to find, unless there's someone who isn't selected for the RWC who is available, or a DK pick from Aus. World Cup years are never kind to clubs like Tigers, given the amount of players that will no doubt be selected - if you think potentially Cole, Cronin, Heyes, Montoya, Chessum, Martin, Henderson, Reffell, Wiese, Youngs, JVP, Pollard, Kelly, Scott, Hassell-Collins, Steward....that leaves us down to the bones in many areas. Obviously there's opportunity there for others but when you look at other clubs, eg: Gloucester - how many will they lose ? Rees-Zammit, Harris, Alemano, Mercer....is that it ?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:09 am
happywomble wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 am Increases Cam Hendersons chances of going to the WC - https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1178227730?-1 ... t_news#out.

If we assume that (forget about injuries)....Chessum (O), Henderson & Martin are away with the World Cup, Snyman is leaving, we're left with Wells & Green, with Manz and Chessum (L) probably featuring during the Cup competition at the start of the season. An international lock would be hard to find, unless there's someone who isn't selected for the RWC who is available, or a DK pick from Aus. World Cup years are never kind to clubs like Tigers, given the amount of players that will no doubt be selected - if you think potentially Cole, Cronin, Heyes, Montoya, Chessum, Martin, Henderson, Reffell, Wiese, Youngs, JVP, Pollard, Kelly, Scott, Hassell-Collins, Steward....that leaves us down to the bones in many areas. Obviously there's opportunity there for others but when you look at other clubs, eg: Gloucester - how many will they lose ? Rees-Zammit, Harris, Alemano, Mercer....is that it ?
Chessum (O) is not going to be fit till the start of next season, so won’t go to RWC, but I do agree that in all probability Martin and Henderson will go.
I know your list of players going to the World Cup is a potential list but IMHO it won’t be quite as bad.

For me, counting Watson as we don’t know what is happening yet , you’ve got :

Certainties- Montoya, Cole/Heyes, Reffell, Wiese, JVP, Pollard, Watson and Steward.
Possibles - Dolly, Cole/Heyes, Martin, Henderson, Youngs, Kelly, Porter, OHC.

I would be really surprised if any one outside that list made it, and doubt we would loose both Kelly and Porter, it would be either or
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:09 am

There's no chance Cronin will get called up. Ireland don't select foreign based players unless they are Johnny Sexton.

I'd expect two new props to come in to add depth. If Wells and Green are projected to be fit in time then we should be ok and Ollie Chessum will be fit by the start of next season as the chat has been that he should be ok to start training before the world cup and if he goes then Martin may not. If both go then Chessum Jnr and Tom Manz plus Wells and Green are four good options with Liebenburg an emergency cover option or Carmichael is also in the development squad.

The revamped cup competition is being played over the majority of the world cup period so that helps disruption as well.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I'd see how it goes.

O.Chessum
Martin
Henderson
Wells
T.Manz
L.Chessum
R.Carmichael

All confirmed I think for next season (Green to, but rumours he may retire so lets not count him)

Also:
Liebenberg
Hatherall
Carnduff

All cover lock to some extent.

When the prem starts,

We're likely to have
Henderson
Wells
T.Manz
L.Chessum

As our primary choices, and that is saying that O.Chessum is either with England OR still injured, so there's a 50:50 chance we'll have him.

Ok this does assume Scotland are knocked out at the group stages, but with Ireland and South Africa in their group I won't be betting on Henderson being in the knockouts.

Personally I think there's enough there from what I've seen of Tom & Lewis.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.