LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=ay2oh post_id=854121 time=1682520759 user_id=6190]
Would be very surprised if we hadn’t already signed another prop.
[/quote]

Let's hope so - it might help soften the blow of not re-signing a good player and losing him to a significant rival.
Last edited by MurphysLaw on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rob Evans, Wales prop been released by Dragons another possibility maybe?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:42 pm
iceman_19 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:06 pm

Strange recently I saw either an LE2 or rolling maul tweet that suggested we had re signed him :smt017
Yeah, what can I say, we got that wrong sadly.

First time, but hurts a lot and we’re as surprised as everyone else!
Bit like the Moroni staying too!

LH looking a bit thin on the ground for next season. Cronin has been solid but has suffered with his injury problems. Whitcombe a work in progress still and Van Wyk has never been convincing in the premiership.

We desperately need a new LH. One can dream of Slipper. Nicky Smith would be a quality addition too.
Even when 'fit', Cronin doesn't look fit. Great scrummager, but always looks ready to break down. Hopefully a good pre-season will get him ready.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

With Cronin I would compare him to Mako, who always looks like he going to pass out.

He isn’t the chiselled modern prop, but I also think he has been unlucky with injuries, his knock in Clermont was a freak injury picking it up when scoring, and against Exeter shoulder to the ribs which popped something.

Hopefully his luck will even up
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:02 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/165 ... bPTfg&s=19

Gutted, Tom West to Saracens.... just been confirmed...
Just catching up with the news. That is a great shame as he's been impressive.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:12 pm Rob Evans, Wales prop been released by Dragons another possibility maybe?
Had a lot of injuries recently, one of the best passers of a ball I have seen.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:10 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:52 pm Would be very surprised if we hadn’t already signed another prop.
Let's hope so - it might help soften the blow of not re-signing a good player and losing him to a significant rival.
The deal with Sarries might have been done before he signed for us. It would explain why a very good loosehead was set for a deal with Ealing in the Championship despite being an easy second choice at most Prem clubs and easy first choice at Falcons or Saints. We had injuries and so brought him in for a short term deal knowing we'd not be able to keep him on.

Tykger, I know body shape wise Cronin is a bit of a throw back but he's been very good around the park for us and solid at scrum time. No Ellis but then he was always going to be irreplaceable and Cronin won't be on a comparable wage. Been a decent signing for us.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Big shame to lose Tom West. Cronin is great. Van Wyk is a 3rd / 4th choice and Whitcombe seems not to be fully trusted by management tho he’s always looked decent to me. Either way with one or 2 injuries, we could end up having to start with Van Wyk.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:15 pm
MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:10 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:52 pm Would be very surprised if we hadn’t already signed another prop.
The deal with Sarries might have been done before he signed for us. It would explain why a very good loosehead was set for a deal with Ealing in the Championship despite being an easy second choice at most Prem clubs and easy first choice at Falcons or Saints. We had injuries and so brought him in for a short term deal knowing we'd not be able to keep him on.

Tykger, I know body shape wise Cronin is a bit of a throw back but he's been very good around the park for us and solid at scrum time. No Ellis but then he was always going to be irreplaceable and Cronin won't be on a comparable wage. Been a decent signing for us.
I take your point, and that of Rugbygramps. Cronin deserves praise and gratitude, he came and delivered when we needed him. Just think a few months with AW would be useful.....( We'd all benefit from that though!)
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:12 pm Rob Evans, Wales prop been released by Dragons another possibility maybe?
That would be quite a decent option.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It’s a shame that West isn’t staying with us but far from the end of the world. Moroni still keeps coming up as well…..he’s gone ! We don’t see the full picture, the family situation, schools maybe if they’ve got kids etc, it’s not all about money I don’t think as there are other considerations. I’m sure we’re in the market for someone else and we move on.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 pm It’s a shame that West isn’t staying with us but far from the end of the world. Moroni still keeps coming up as well…..he’s gone ! We don’t see the full picture, the family situation, schools maybe if they’ve got kids etc, it’s not all about money I don’t think as there are other considerations. I’m sure we’re in the market for someone else and we move on.
Quite so, salary cap aside. I also imagine our new head coach has some pretty clear ideas about front row players given his background!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Possibly a big vote of faith in Lewis Chessum & Tom Manz if we don't bring someone in.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:04 pm I’m not usually one to have a go at the club, but in a case like this they should of at least been reactive to the Saracens story, if not proactive in beating Saracens to the announcement.
I’m not usually that bothered about info on players not staying, but feel the club has seriously misjudged this one.
You are missing a massively important point - the player has the final say and we wont know why he chose North London over Leicester - but it is HIS choice - the club only plays a part in the whole thing.
Too quick to blame the club
Less is more....