LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

iceman_19 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:06 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:02 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/165 ... bPTfg&s=19

Gutted, Tom West to Saracens.... just been confirmed...
Strange recently I saw either an LE2 or rolling maul tweet that suggested we had re signed him :smt017
Yeah, what can I say, we got that wrong sadly.

First time, but hurts a lot and we’re as surprised as everyone else!
Bit like the Moroni staying too!

LH looking a bit thin on the ground for next season. Cronin has been solid but has suffered with his injury problems. Whitcombe a work in progress still and Van Wyk has never been convincing in the premiership.

We desperately need a new LH. One can dream of Slipper. Nicky Smith would be a quality addition too.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tom West to Sarries

Post by Nofrontteeth »

So he's to leave a Club about to win the Prem for the likely team to be the lossers in that Prem Final 🤔 :smt017

That said he's showed his class in the short time with Tigers and wish him well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:42 pm

Strange recently I saw either an LE2 or rolling maul tweet that suggested we had re signed him :smt017

LH looking a bit thin on the ground for next season. Cronin has been solid but has suffered with his injury problems. Whitcombe a work in progress still and Van Wyk has never been convincing in the premiership.

We desperately need a new LH. One can dream of Slipper. Nicky Smith would be a quality addition too.
I wold disagree about Van Wyk, I think he has been consistent without ever being dominant. Even before West arrival he was third choice with everyone fit, so imo that is what you would look for
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:59 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:57 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:56 pm

https://twitter.com/BristolBears/status ... djxOQ&s=19

Genge confirmed in the Bristol squad next season
Slightly off topic but that Bristol squad looks very unbalanced IMO
Has been for years, Lam hasn’t worked out you need the ball to win anything
100%

A bit like Tigers in The Bad Years.

It's baffling that it's obvious to everyone apart from Bristol themselves :smt017
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

It’s a bit different to Moroni staying. At the time we reported that “things were progressing well”, that was true - both parties were on the same page and getting closer on numbers.

Then Watson became available on the (relative) cheap, and that changed the picture. We essentially picked Watson over Moroni.

On this one, it seems we were just wrong.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m not usually one to have a go at the club, but in a case like this they should of at least been reactive to the Saracens story, if not proactive in beating Saracens to the announcement.
I’m not usually that bothered about info on players not staying, but feel the club has seriously misjudged this one.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

iceman_19 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:02 pm

It’s a bit different to Moroni staying. At the time we reported that “things were progressing well”, that was true - both parties were on the same page and getting closer on numbers.

Then Watson became available on the (relative) cheap, and that changed the picture. We essentially picked Watson over Moroni.

I’m sure you only went on the information provided to you. Any media outlet is only as good as it’s sources
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm

I’m sure you only went on the information provided to you. Any media outlet is only as good as it’s sources
Thanks RG. We’re usually very cautious and only say anything if it’s backed by multiple (usually reliable) sources! Just as shocked and annoyed as anyone on this.

Slipper or Smith would be outstanding, though.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:04 pm I’m not usually one to have a go at the club, but in a case like this they should of at least been reactive to the Saracens story, if not proactive in beating Saracens to the announcement.
I’m not usually that bothered about info on players not staying, but feel the club has seriously misjudged this one.
It does seem odd that we have not had a goodbye and thank you announcement (unless there is a bigger set of announcements already prepared and this was going to be part of them).
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

iceman_19 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Thanks RG. We’re usually very cautious and only say anything if it’s backed by multiple (usually reliable) sources! Just as shocked and annoyed as anyone on this.

Slipper or Smith would be outstanding, though.
Nice to see other clubs getting in on the 'release the news the day after the podcast' game. :smt003 :smt003
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Is it possible that our new head coach has someone that he wants to bring in so we are unable to keep West ?
A2O
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

With Nephi and West leaving, I feel we need more at LH. I'm not convinced that Cronin > Whitcome > van Wyk is enough to compete at the very top.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would be very surprised if we hadn’t already signed another prop.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Did anyone chat to Van Wyk at the awards evening last night about his contract status?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would be very surprised if we hadn’t already signed another prop.
A2O