Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:03 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:52 pm Solomone Kata was crocked badly against us and had just come back from long term injury. Guess Exeter think he is to high risk to retain? Hope he is cheap if its true we signed him
So he plays 12,13 & wing

We have

Kelly, Porter, Scott, Potter, Hassell-Collins, Bassett etc all in his positions. No way we'd be hiring him on a starters wage. Plus if he's not required week in week out it probably reduces his liklihood of injuries.

Seems like a decent moneyball signing if him & Bryne come at the right price.
But if you look at the injuries we have had in the last year or two in the centres, it could make sense, obviously assuming he doesn't get injured too often himself!!! Furthermore, he is a "power-player", which is something we currently don't really have in the backs. I am not including Saumaki and Kini, whom I believe will be off.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:24 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:43 pm Bryne & Kata would be ideal signing to round off the back 3 options for us with Kata providing centre cover too which we need though Cokanasiga may also be stepping up a bit IMO.
Bryne???
Sorry for the typo, Adam Byrne from Connacht, see page 184 of this thread

Former Ireland & Leinster winger, moved to Connacht, now confirmed off from there, been also linked to Chicago in the MLR (see the end of page 189 in the thread)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:14 am
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:24 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:43 pm Bryne & Kata would be ideal signing to round off the back 3 options for us with Kata providing centre cover too which we need though Cokanasiga may also be stepping up a bit IMO.
Bryne???
Sorry for the typo, Adam Byrne from Connacht, see page 184 of this thread

Former Ireland & Leinster winger, moved to Connacht, now confirmed off from there, been also linked to Chicago in the MLR (see the end of page 189 in the thread)

Thank you :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:52 pm Solomone Kata was crocked badly against us and had just come back from long term injury. Guess Exeter think he is to high risk to retain? Hope he is cheap if its true we signed him
Plenty of time before October for him to get fit, especially if it means he misses out on RWC duties. Though I’m not sure if he’d be playing for Tonga anyway.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Apparently his breakdown across the backline is:

11 - 15%
12 - 38%
13 - 12%
14 - 35%

Think he’d be a great addition, good versatility and we’ve missed some physicality in the backs. Employed on the right wing for the Brumbies which would fit our backline nicely.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Just looked at his reel on YouTube and looks a bit of a beast.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Exeter fan saying he spoke to Kata yesterday.
He's coming to us and will be fit in 12 weeks

Def think he will be a winger for us more than centre though
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm not completely sold on Kata, he's obviously a physical specimen but he seems to have bounced around Super Rugby a bit and then had an injury ravaged season with Exeter. That said you could have said the same for Veainu and even Nadolo at points in their careers so hopefully he will come good for us.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:00 pm I'm not completely sold on Kata, he's obviously a physical specimen but he seems to have bounced around Super Rugby a bit and then had an injury ravaged season with Exeter. That said you could have said the same for Veainu and even Nadolo at points in their careers so hopefully he will come good for us.
He played 23 games this season
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:02 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:00 pm I'm not completely sold on Kata, he's obviously a physical specimen but he seems to have bounced around Super Rugby a bit and then had an injury ravaged season with Exeter. That said you could have said the same for Veainu and even Nadolo at points in their careers so hopefully he will come good for us.
The Exeter website said 17, I'm happy to concede that maybe ravaged was a bit of hyperbole though
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:10 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:02 pm
The Exeter website said 17, I'm happy to concede that maybe ravaged was a bit of hyperbole though
I’m factoring internationals TBF
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would be delighted with signing Kata, really explosive player who would add something different to the squad.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:57 pm Def think he will be a winger for us more than centre though
Either way, he will give us the power we need in the backs. OHC and Kata on the wings would be quite a pair!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

loretta wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:05 am
Plenty of time before October for him to get fit, especially if it means he misses out on RWC duties. Though I’m not sure if he’d be playing for Tonga anyway.
Even with the impressive list of newly qualified Tongans I'd expect Kata to be in the squad at the very least.

Former All Blacks Moala and Fekitoa are likely to be the first choice centre partnership with Piutau and Folau occupying two of the back three. That leaves the second wing spot (Tima Fainga'anuku or Kata likely options with Anzelo Tuitavaki and Fetuli Paea also thereabouts) and reserve centres (Kata, Afusipa Tamoepeau and Fetuli Paea all in the running). So even if Kata misses out on the left wing spot he occupied for Tonga recently I'd expect him to be a handy bench option and almost certainly in the squad.

It could be a really impressive Tonga side. On top of those outside backs they've also got newly qualified forwards in Adam Coleman, Lopeti Timani and Vaea Fifita. Zane Kapeli is of course a terrific back row. As is the Crusaders Sione Talitui.

Saumaki will struggle to make the 33-man squad that goes to France for instance. In the past that wouldn't have been the case for someone with his attacking talent.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Jack Maunder is leaving Chiefs. Is he worth a look as the additional 9 to cover international callups?