Fans leaving the sport - The State of the Game?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Fans leaving the sport

Post by Big Dai »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:09 pm I think Ugo Monye had a good point on the BBC Rugby Pod that referees are being hung out to dry for correctly enforcing laws while the lawmakers who created these laws stay silent. His argument was the hierarchy need to take responsibility while supporting their refs. He suggested something along the lines of (not an exact quote) that …..we fully support ref x in his decision at x minute at x game. He correctly employed the laws and we support him fully. We note however that the outcome of this incident raises wider issues so will be engaging with all stakeholders to see if a further law change or clarification is required….

I tend to agree with him.
+1
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:31 am Generally, I suspect (and judging by the returnees here, or, should I say non-leavers) the cold light of the following day leaves the rugby addict wanting more.
I suspect this is the truth in it. Sky Sports has doubled down on the drama and controversy of refereeing decisions in the Premier League for years. It plays into the 'clash of the titans' narrative they attach to most games.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

How many sell outs have we had this season.

The unsold hospitality seats are telling too.

The balancing of the sanctions for technical transgressions, accidental "foul play" are getting the same sanctions as deliberate foul plat are not good for the game is not good for the game as a spectacle.

The loss of the games against Wasps and Worcester hasn't helped the season as a whole. Local games where large numbers of away fans would have attended.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pm The game has changed and with it the audience.
Nobody else seems to be supporting that view. Quite the contrary. Any evidence?
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pmMuch has been spoken about "allowing a flowing game" and I believe laws are being ignored to create a better spectacle for the audience.
Are you saying they have failed to create a better spectacle, that their idea of a better spectacle is wrong or that they shouldn't try to create a better spectacle? Genuine question. I think it makes sense to try (why wouldn't you) but a balance between attack/defence is important. And certainly I think the Prem has been a great spectacle the last 3+ years (helps that we are winning of course).
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pmI've "gone on" about offside and forward passes being ignored as well as the perennial whinge about squint put ins and throws.
Pretty difficult to for refs to be spot on with these though isn't as there is no forensic/scientific way of seeing. And I think tackling and the breakdown has become more of a thing.
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pmThe game is not what it was. Values are different. (Have slipped) but I still watch......begrudgingly!
That was kind of the point of my OP. For all the moans I don't believe many fans are leaving the sport.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:36 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:09 pm I think Ugo Monye had a good point on the BBC Rugby Pod that referees are being hung out to dry for correctly enforcing laws while the lawmakers who created these laws stay silent. His argument was the hierarchy need to take responsibility while supporting their refs. He suggested something along the lines of (not an exact quote) that …..we fully support ref x in his decision at x minute at x game. He correctly employed the laws and we support him fully. We note however that the outcome of this incident raises wider issues so will be engaging with all stakeholders to see if a further law change or clarification is required….

+1
Woodburn's disciplinary report is out. The referee's report cited that Woodburn was both off his feet and in at the side, two of those laws that "never get policed".

I think some pundits have made themselves look very silly.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ourla wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:58 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pm The game has changed and with it the audience.
Nobody else seems to be supporting that view. Quite the contrary. Any evidence?

You don't watch enough videos of old games. Evidence a plenty. Audiences at the game instead of dissecting move by move on the telly......evidence? Am I in court
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pmMuch has been spoken about "allowing a flowing game" and I believe laws are being ignored to create a better spectacle for the audience.
Are you saying they have failed to create a better spectacle, that their idea of a better spectacle is wrong or that they shouldn't try to create a better spectacle? Genuine question. I think it makes sense to try (why wouldn't you) but a balance between attack/defence is important. And certainly I think the Prem has been a great spectacle the last 3+ years (helps that we are winning of course).

For me they have emphasised some laws whilst ignoring others. A back to basics and an end to tampering would suit me. If a pass is forward it's forward.
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pmI've "gone on" about offside and forward passes being ignored as well as the perennial whinge about squint put ins and throws.
Pretty difficult to for refs to be spot on with these though isn't as there is no forensic/scientific way of seeing. And I think tackling and the breakdown has become more of a thing.

Difficult to spot an early attempt to charge down? Get real. This "get back" nonsense should be replaced by "penalty."

Difficult to spot a squint put in? A scrum should be a competition for the ball....not the means to win a penalty.
Big Dai wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:31 pmThe game is not what it was. Values are different. (Have slipped) but I still watch......begrudgingly!
That was kind of the point of my OP. For all the moans I don't believe many fans are leaving the sport.

They probably aren't. But things HAVE changed and the thought has crossed my mind.

Harrumph!!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:23 pm Harrumph!!
Love you man :smt003 :smt003
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

State of the game

Post by mightymouse »

I know there are all sorts of threads that encompass some of this including the demise of the 2 clubs (Wasps and Worcester) and fan numbers etc but this is more about the total game and how do people se the future of :

1) Grass Roots
2) Championship
3) Premiership
4 International game
5) TV money
6) Fan base
7) Women’s game
8) Youth game
9) ring fencing and relegation
10) player safely

I see that all of the above are interlinked and each area cannot be isolated and operated in a silo. Only the RFU and ultimately the IRB can work out the future plan, but are they capable?

I’ll kick off with this article .. mainly about the Championship that I found interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... -promotion
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:51 pm

+1
Woodburn's disciplinary report is out. The referee's report cited that Woodburn was both off his feet and in at the side, two of those laws that never get policed.

True on both counts.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:35 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:51 pm

+1
Woodburn's disciplinary report is out. The referee's report cited that Woodburn was both off his feet and in at the side, two of those laws that never get policed.

True on both counts.
Apologies, I should have included " " in my original post about laws that "never get policed". :smt003 Obviously these two are regularly penalised.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Fans leaving the sport - The State of the Game?

Post by tigerburnie »

Some people are missing one glaring problem attached to going to a sports match, or anything "non essential" just now, people are struggling to pay bills. There will be a lot of folk unable to afford to go out just now, whether they'd like to or not.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Fans leaving the sport - The State of the Game?

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:52 pm Some people are missing one glaring problem attached to going to a sports match, or anything "non essential" just now, people are struggling to pay bills. There will be a lot of folk unable to afford to go out just now, whether they'd like to or not.
The reason me and Mrs G are stuck, paying off house repairs quickly as well as not having a dog sitter. cost of a visit to Tigers for us, including petrol, parking, ticket, anything between £60-100. Just haven't got it, although we plan to catch the odd game after Oct this year. TBH it's easier to walk the dogs round to the Sportsway and watch the rather good Burntwood 1st XV for free.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

mol2 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:44 pm How many sell outs have we had this season.

The unsold hospitality seats are telling too.

The balancing of the sanctions for technical transgressions, accidental "foul play" are getting the same sanctions as deliberate foul plat are not good for the game is not good for the game as a spectacle.

The loss of the games against Wasps and Worcester hasn't helped the season as a whole. Local games where large numbers of away fans would have attended.
We hardly ever sell out, however we have consistently had crowds of over 20k which is better than any other club. Hospitality is often sold out. It only looks bad because all the seats are together and for various reasons people dont turn up. If you were to put all the season ticket holders together you would find huge gaps at any given game so I dont think you can draw any conclusion from apparent empty seats.