LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by ay2oh »

Hope so as West has been outstanding since he joined us.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 am Interesting he’s signed for the Tah’s as injury dispensation, with Tigers confirming he was out of contract at the end of the season he’ll ultimately be on trial down under in the hope of securing his next contract. Can’t imagine there wouldn’t be interest from France, but announcement suggest he wants to be closer to home.

With Lewis Boyce signing for Ealing, you’d hope West has a get out option to stay with us!
Hand of Nadolo maybe.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’d forgot about Boyce going to Ealing. Be very surprised if they were planning to have both West and Boyce on the books next year. Two props that have been in and around the England setup in the last few years, Boyce 18/19, West 21/22, both playing championship rugby at the same club, that’s a hell of a bench option at that level.
Sure I’d also seen it somewhere that West had a release clause. West only signed in December for Ealing for remainder of this year and next season, but joined us as early as January. Suspect that was always an extended trial made possible by the injury dispensation. Would be stunned if we didn’t now sign him up for longer given his performances.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:36 am Hope so as West has been outstanding since he joined us.
I think it was announced as an intention to join Ealing rather than a signing. Possibly wrong though.

I do agree though, his performances have been such that it is toss up between him and Cronin who has been one of our best signings.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:45 am I’d forgot about Boyce going to Ealing. Be very surprised if they were planning to have both West and Boyce on the books next year. Two props that have been in and around the England setup in the last few years, Boyce 18/19, West 21/22, both playing championship rugby at the same club, that’s a hell of a bench option at that level.
Sure I’d also seen it somewhere that West had a release clause. West only signed in December for Ealing for remainder of this year and next season, but joined us as early as January. Suspect that was always an extended trial made possible by the injury dispensation. Would be stunned if we didn’t now sign him up for longer given his performances.
As far as I recall he was strongly linked to Ealing... Nothing was ever confirmed.

Also I think most were saying if he'd signed, he'd probably have had a release clause into the prem in there.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Posted this before, but had a few more leavers announced so my updated list.

Jansen - Leaving end of the season
Ashton - retiring end of thr season

Left mid season: Nadolo, Hegarty, Burns, Shelley, Leatigaga, Horton (short term only) & Cowan-Dickie

Below is a list of who in the Senior squad I think may be out of contract
I think likely out of contract
I think possibly out of contract
Have left all the other on who signed or last extended in the 20/21 season and will explain why I think their contract is not up.

Last extended/signed 22/23 season
Tom West - 19/01/23 (remainder of season)
Joe Taufete'e - 12/08/22 signed

Last extended/signed 21/22 season
Jimmy Gopperth - 12/05/22 signed
Kini Murimurivalu - 12/05/22 re-signed
Anthony Watson - 12/05/22 signed
Calum Green - 01/02/22 re-signed
Hosea Saumaki - 30/07/21 signed

Last extended/signed 20/21 season
Eli Snyman - 08/03/21 signed
Francois Van Wyk - 08/03/21 signed

So of those, I think West is top priority to get over the line.

Taufete'e I expect will leave, Dolly back fit and with Theobald-Thomas & Vanes I think we have cover.

Gopperth is a 1+1 deal so probably will be activated our end. Only if he wants to front up a Wasps team in the Championship will he go IMO.

Murimurivalu, expecting him to probably leave, especially with us signing Brown. He may stay if other wingers leave could be kept as a power wing option

Watson, seems like he's wanting to go to family in Surrey or to France so hopefully he'll go to France rather than a competitior

Calum Green, think he's likely contracted for next season, but all the rumours I'm hearing is that his injury may mean Ashton won't be alone in retiring this season.

Saumaki, I just can't see us keeping him, won't be super cheap and think there are better options for us. Likes of Simmons are cheaper so we'll see.

Snyman, with Martin moving up to Lock, Henderson stepping up to a starting lock standard, not much room for him I thought, but the Green rumours are a possible lifeline for him next season.

Van Wyk, probably off, but could stay if he wants to stay on 4th choice sort of money, but doubt he will. Last few games for us he's done better, but with Whitcombe, West & Cronin ahead and none likely to be at the World cup, I doubt we can afford him
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think you're about right.

Snyman I think is a keeper unless he wants to go. With the possible loss of Green, Chessum's injury I think keeping him as one of three core frontline locks at the start of next season is important, with Martin - like Chessum - providing the lock/flanker versatility. It takes the pressure of Lewis Chessum and Carmichael too.

Gopperth I think has been showing his value for most of the season and in particular the last 2-3 months. Unless his legs suddenly go, I think he's a 40 year old we need next season.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The Rolling Maul account has posted a 'hot sauce' image next to West which implies that the guys feel that there's a very good chance of us signing West to a longer-term contract: https://twitter.com/rollingmaulpod/stat ... 4300876801
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

There’s been a huge amount of talk about potentially another winger coming in for us with some of the possibly outgoing wingers not replaced. I was wondering if anyone was opposed to taking a punt on Christian Wade as he only signed a one year deal with racing in September, very similar to Ashton in his try scoring ability, would always be available, possibly would not cost too much with only being in his first year back after 4 years out of the game. What are other peoples thought?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:16 pm There’s been a huge amount of talk about potentially another winger coming in for us with some of the possibly outgoing wingers not replaced. I was wondering if anyone was opposed to taking a punt on Christian Wade as he only signed a one year deal with racing in September, very similar to Ashton in his try scoring ability, would always be available, possibly would not cost too much with only being in his first year back after 4 years out of the game. What are other peoples thought?
Not for me I’m afraid. Great finisher in his day, but question marks over other parts of his game especially defence.
While some may applaud his effort to break into NFL, it does make me question his commitment a little.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Only needs 19 try's to equal Ashtons record....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:16 pm There’s been a huge amount of talk about potentially another winger coming in for us with some of the possibly outgoing wingers not replaced. I was wondering if anyone was opposed to taking a punt on Christian Wade as he only signed a one year deal with racing in September, very similar to Ashton in his try scoring ability, would always be available, possibly would not cost too much with only being in his first year back after 4 years out of the game. What are other peoples thought?
It's a fair point. What is our depth in terms of players who are naturally a right wing? Currently it's really only Potter and Ashton. OHC and Bassett are predominantly left wings, as Simmons always has been. Watson seems happy in all three shirts.

We seem to have a very left wing/full back heavy back three for next season without someone else joining.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I agree that depending on departures, we need 1 possibly 2, as yet unannounced back 3 players.

For me the difference with Wade, against Ashton and Brown, is that the later 2 were known personally by Borthwick and Wigglesworth, they knew the man behind the player, and the effects they would have on the squad, as well as their ability.

I can’t see any signing that hasn’t already been agreed, but not announced, not being passed by McKellar first, and he doesn’t have the luxury the previous 2 coaches had
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:49 pm
It's a fair point. What is our depth in terms of players who are naturally a right wing? Currently it's really only Potter and Ashton. OHC and Bassett are predominantly left wings, as Simmons always has been. Watson seems happy in all three shirts.

We seem to have a very left wing/full back heavy back three for next season without someone else joining.
Wingers who excel on one wing rather than the other tend to be those with a much better step off one foot (Jonny May off his right for instance). Or those with a less developed kicking game who struggle with the tighter angle if they are right footed on the right wing for instance. Interestingly OHC has an absolute cannon of a left boot to develop but plays on the left wing though.

I think Simmons should be fine on either. Bassett has a really good all-round game too.

11.OHC, Bassett
14.Potter, Simmons
15.Steward, Shillcock, Brown

I see it as that. Very well rounded options but to me we could do with some more out and out pace. I'd very happily take Wade in that role myself.

Worth mentioning that Browning looked the best I've seen him by a distance at senior level on Monday night. A season at Championship level did Simmons a lot of good it seems. I wonder after Monday if Browning may be worth persevering with in that sort of capacity.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:43 pm Worth mentioning that Browning looked the best I've seen him by a distance at senior level on Monday night.
That's something of a relief. He's looked a little out of his depth on previous WR appearance, and at 22 needs to kick on.