LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:01 pm Leatigaga released early to go to the Waratahs
Not entirely surprised by him leaving, but the timing is possibly more of a surprise because of his versatility
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:31 pm I'd accepted losing Watson to France, but it'd be a blow if he joins a rival.
Recognised but if we've mended him and he wants to go with England World Cup and beyond then why move at all.
Have we mended him for him to be a more personaly (him) valuable commodity. It is a professional game and if the dosh offered is greater then off you go.
Hence my initial point of what does sarries CAP accounts look like or dare I question have they ever been opened? :smt017
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Malins is going back to Bristol so Watson would make sense as a direct replacement. Especially when Malins plays more on the wing that fullback for them.

It's never popular to say as they are everyone's favourite punching bag but I really don't think the Sarries squad looks suspicious anymore. The absurd depth is gone now. They used to have Koch, Figallo and Lamositele at TH. Now it's Riccioni, Judge and Clarey. Similar across many positions. Davies, van Zyl and de Haas combined are likely on less than Wigglesworth or Spencer individually were for instance.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:01 pm Leatigaga released early to go to the Waratahs
Good luck to Nephi. Hopefully this frees up some cap for us to secure Tom West on a permanent deal :smt023
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:02 pm
Not entirely surprised by him leaving, but the timing is possibly more of a surprise because of his versatility
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ement-2303

Link to Club announcement on it.

I'm not sure I'm surprised. West I think was signed primarily as his injury replacement. If he's nearing fitness it may mean we can't play West. With all of Cole, Heyes & Hurd fit he isn't needed on TH.

We'd rather IMO play West than him at LH, and although Whitcombe is injured & Cronin took a knock last game, we have West, Van Wyk both fit, with Richardson covering (also covers TH).

Cronin isn't too far away and I wouldn't be surprised if Whitcombe could be back fit by the end of the season.

I suspect that there may still be a bit of rehabbing for Leatigaga too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:55 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:02 pm

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ement-2303

Link to Club announcement on it.

I'm not sure I'm surprised. West I think was signed primarily as his injury replacement. If he's nearing fitness it may mean we can't play West. With all of Cole, Heyes & Hurd fit he isn't needed on TH.

We'd rather IMO play West than him at LH, and although Whitcombe is injured & Cronin took a knock last game, we have West, Van Wyk both fit, with Richardson covering (also covers TH).

Cronin isn't too far away and I wouldn't be surprised if Whitcombe could be back fit by the end of the season.

I suspect that there may still be a bit of rehabbing for Leatigaga too.
Waratah’s announcement says that Nephi is available for selection for this Saturday, so would assume he’s good to go
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Am I right in thinking that Nephi was on pretty decent money, having come from France and been highly sought after at the time?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Postiger2 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:22 am Am I right in thinking that Nephi was on pretty decent money, having come from France and been highly sought after at the time?
Yeah ability both sides of the scrum means he is more expensive, especially as an international.

With Dan Richardson also covering both sides we have squad depth now from him without breaking the bank.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leatigaga was on Logo money at first I think

Very good LH but unlike Logo I didn’t have much faith in him at TH
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Does that now mean we have the cash to offer West a new contract?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sapajo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:36 am Does that now mean we have the cash to offer West a new contract?
Yes if he’s not already signed for Ealing next season
A2O
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Very useful squad player, but much like Saumaki and Muri, we just haven't used him this season (be that for fitness or form reasons).
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Just been reminded be ViewFromLE2 (Elliott from the Rolling Maul) of when Nephi invited half the Northampton pack to join him in the carpark 🤣🤣
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:44 am
sapajo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:36 am Does that now mean we have the cash to offer West a new contract?
Yes if he’s not already signed for Ealing next season
Often in such cases there will be a release clause if he gets offered a contract by a premiership side.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Interesting he’s signed for the Tah’s as injury dispensation, with Tigers confirming he was out of contract at the end of the season he’ll ultimately be on trial down under in the hope of securing his next contract. Can’t imagine there wouldn’t be interest from France, but announcement suggest he wants to be closer to home.

With Lewis Boyce signing for Ealing, you’d hope West has a get out option to stay with us!