Chris Ashton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Chris Ashton

Post by Rugbygramps »

Evening. Pedant here. Ashton is a very good player and his try scoring achievements in the premiership will never be beaten, which is really worthy of note.
He is however by no definition of the word a legend, and seeing how humble he was in his interviews yesterday he would feel very uncomfortable being called one.
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

We are not going to fall out over this RG - ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder ‘ ( maybe the wrong analogy ?!) but Aston deserves plaudits not semantics! I think that some Tigers’ fans ‘reluctantly’ accept him because of his past associations but as you say his ( try scoring ) record is never likely to be beaten. In my world that constitutes legendary status.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

PIEANDAPINT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:42 pm We are not going to fall out over this RG - ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder ‘ ( maybe the wrong analogy ?!) but Aston deserves plaudits not semantics! I think that some Tigers’ fans ‘reluctantly’ accept him because of his past associations but as you say his ( try scoring ) record is never likely to be beaten. In my world that constitutes legendary status.
He didn't do half bad during his stint in France either.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I think the crowd spoke for itself yesterday when he clocked 99, 100 and finally 101.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:48 pm
PIEANDAPINT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:42 pm We are not going to fall out over this RG - ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder ‘ ( maybe the wrong analogy ?!) but Aston deserves plaudits not semantics! I think that some Tigers’ fans ‘reluctantly’ accept him because of his past associations but as you say his ( try scoring ) record is never likely to be beaten. In my world that constitutes legendary status.
You’re right didn’t he beak a record while he was with Toulon.
We are getting a little into semantics here very good player, changed the way wingers played in this country, whatever you want to call it his achievements are noteworthy
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:58 pm
wigworth wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:48 pm
You’re right didn’t he beak a record while he was with Toulon.
We are getting a little into semantics here very good player, changed the way wingers played in this country, whatever you want to call it his achievements are noteworthy
He's won the Premiership three times, the Championship once, European Challenge Cup, European Champions Cup twice, an Anglo-Welsh cup, a Prem Cup and three Six Nations. A great medal selection to go with his personal accolades.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I think you can different sorts of “legend” can’t you.

Wilkinson, Johnson, Carter, Edwards - All Time Greats

David Matthews, Paul Dodge, Tom Youngs - club legends

Ashton has the most tries ever in Europe, in the Premiership (first to break a 100), the most in a single season in France. Throw in multiple titles as well, and you cannot deny with a straight face that he’s not a legend of the club game.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If, as you intimate him being a legend, I bet he would like his name spelled correctly on his head stone. :smt052
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

👍😉