LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:54 am To be honest, I'd much rather the official line is wrong and Contemponi is coming as Attack Coach! But I thought I'd pass on the message given in the media room to urge some caution, just in case people don't get disappointed down the line.

I can understand why Bondi wants to kill the story if it's not true - especially if they are negotiating already with another candidate etc. Would he have given a different message if there is truth in it? Not sure but i guess the message can be managed a certain way for the media to use.

Personally I think it's great that McKellar has been to WR for the first time, and can meet up with coaches and players and have those initial chats. It will make the transition into his era a lot smoother the more he can do this. I don't expect him to be having much say in playing matters until July, but certainly recruitment of players and coaches will now be under his domain.
The other thing with McKellar is that he won’t get to work with any World Cup players until they return after the tournament, so neither side will now be going in cold.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:04 pm Given the 15 announced for this evenings game Vs Saints, you’d have to say the writings on the wall for Saumaki. Kini at FB, Simmons and Browning on the wings. Fully expect him to be off at the end of the season
Not so sure about Simmons, but agree on the other 3.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Whatever the situation with Contemponi, not sure that was the best place for him to sit.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:29 pm Whatever the situation with Contemponi, not sure that was the best place for him to sit.
Not sure what the etiquette is if you have an international coach asking to watch his players. Do you sit him with the directors, CEO etc or elsewhere. It may be just a matter of eqiquette.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:54 am To be honest, I'd much rather the official line is wrong and Contemponi is coming as Attack Coach! But I thought I'd pass on the message given in the media room to urge some caution, just in case people don't get disappointed down the line.

I can understand why Bondi wants to kill the story if it's not true - especially if they are negotiating already with another candidate etc. Would he have given a different message if there is truth in it? Not sure but i guess the message can be managed a certain way for the media to use.

Personally I think it's great that McKellar has been to WR for the first time, and can meet up with coaches and players and have those initial chats. It will make the transition into his era a lot smoother the more he can do this. I don't expect him to be having much say in playing matters until July, but certainly recruitment of players and coaches will now be under his domain.
Best thing is McKellar got to experience WR as a fan to see how the fans interact with the team. Think this will help boost the adrenaline to get started. Being a part of the crowd and atmosphere yesterday truly shows what WR can be like and if I was DMK that is what I’d be striving to make it every game next year! Very glad to see him in a Tigers jacket and can’t wait to see him starting - but hopefully after we’ve gone back to back…!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:40 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:29 pm Whatever the situation with Contemponi, not sure that was the best place for him to sit.
Not sure what the etiquette is if you have an international coach asking to watch his players. Do you sit him with the directors, CEO etc or elsewhere. It may be just a matter of eqiquette.
Don’t know but if he was there purely to see Montoya, there weren’t any other Argentinians playing, not sure why he would need to sit there.
When the English coaching team are shown at the ground they are just in normal seats.
Putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, he was there as a guest of the club.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Worth noting that it was busier than usual up there yesterday - it looked like the club had sold more of those posh seats so not quite as easy to sit them somewhere else.

It's also worth saying that there might be a good reason why he was sat next to Andrea - even if he's not joining as an attack coach. We may be looking at a player or a coach that FC knows and we want to to get his opinion on them.

It's also no bad thing to have good relations with coaches like that, we may need to call in favours in the future. Having him sat next to our CEO and being schmoozed for the afternoon is no bad thing so makes sense to have him sat there.

Personally I don't see the issue of him being sat there, even if he's not joining. It's hardly creating a problem.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:19 pm Worth noting that it was busier than usual up there yesterday - it looked like the club had sold more of those posh seats so not quite as easy to sit them somewhere else.

It's also worth saying that there might be a good reason why he was sat next to Andrea - even if he's not joining as an attack coach. We may be looking at a player or a coach that FC knows and we want to to get his opinion on them.

It's also no bad thing to have good relations with coaches like that, we may need to call in favours in the future. Having him sat next to our CEO and being schmoozed for the afternoon is no bad thing so makes sense to have him sat there.

Personally I don't see the issue of him being sat there, even if he's not joining. It's hardly creating a problem.
I don’t think anyone is saying there was an issue, just that it was an interesting choice of seat, especially as it was going to be picked up by the cameras
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:19 pm Worth noting that it was busier than usual up there yesterday - it looked like the club had sold more of those posh seats so not quite as easy to sit them somewhere else.

I don’t think anyone is saying there was an issue, just that it was an interesting choice of seat, especially as it was going to be picked up by the cameras
Yep, very much so. Felipe, Andrea, McKellar. Very deliberate. Almost like Matt "I'm visiting Welford Road but only because I'm in the UK visiting my cricket-playing wife and definitely not signing for Tigers" To'omua,
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:19 pm It's also no bad thing to have good relations with coaches like that, we may need to call in favours in the future. Having him sat next to our CEO and being schmoozed for the afternoon is no bad thing so makes sense to have him sat there.
Wouldn’t hurt to have a current member of the pumas coaching setup as a ‘friend’ of the club, aswell as the current skipper, should we be looking around the pumas squad for new additions.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:37 pm And the chances that Ashton decides to celebrate his 100th try by replicating Contemponi’s celebration for Bristol…
:smt040
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Perhaps, as Contemponi is a distinguished pillar of the game, Andrea and co were just being polite.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Apparently the Argentina coaches are in the UK visiting players. Contepomi was reportedly in Newcastle yesterday with their forwards coach seeing the Pumas contingent at Falcons.

Maybe he tied that trip in with a more formal meeting at Tigers with McKellar and Andrea. Or maybe we've got a bit carried away.

He'd be a terrific addition as backs coach.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:40 am Apparently the Argentina coaches are in the UK visiting players. Contepomi was reportedly in Newcastle yesterday with their forwards coach seeing the Pumas contingent at Falcons.

Maybe he tied that trip in with a more formal meeting at Tigers with McKellar and Andrea. Or maybe we've got a bit carried away.

He'd be a terrific addition as backs coach.
There were photos of an Argentinian training camp in the uk, as there are a few here now. Obviously makes sense, but who doesn’t love a good conspiracy theory.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Adam Bryne also in talks with Chicago MLR team