Tigers vs Northampton Saints - Friendly (H) - Monday 17th April 2023 - KO:19:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Northampton Saints - Friendly (H) - Monday 17th April 2023 - KO:19:00

Post by fentiger »

I understand we've forfeited the match due to an over exuberant celebration for Ashy :smt023 :smt044
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Northampton Saints - Friendly (H) - Monday 17th April 2023 - KO:19:00

Post by wigworth »

Does anyone know if there will a livestream of this game?
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

STARTING XV
15 Kini Murimurivalu, 14 Joe Browning, 13 Phil Cokanasiga, 12 Joe Woodward, 11 Harry Simmons, 10 Charlie Atkinson, 9 Sam Edwards; 1 Francois van Wyk (c), 2 Nic Dolly, 3 Will Hurd, 4 Lewis Chessum, 5 Rob Carmichael, 6 Finn Carnduff, 7 Emeka Ilione, 8 Sean Jansen

REPLACEMENTS
16 Archie Vanes, 17 Dan Richardson, 18 Tim Hoyt, 19 Joshua Manz, 20 Simon Koroiyadi, 21 Sam Wolstenholme, 22 Morgan Meredith, 23 Hosea Saumaki, 24 Jacob Cusick
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

It’s a shame with the timing of this game, given we played yesterday and the likelihood of people being able to attend twice in 24hrs is minimal. Both Tigers and Saints putting out relatively strong and established names, should be a really good run out!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Only really Brown, Green (injured?) Porter, Wells, Whitley and Whitcombe missing from a senior point of view.

Can understand why you wouldn’t play Brown in this match. I could see Porter, Wells, Whiteley and Whitcombe getting game time but equally understand why.

Telling which senior academy guys are included I think suggesting which ones may be around next year. Meredith over Walsh for example?? No Tom Manz??

All in all a nicely balanced team and looking forwards to the guys getting a full run out! Some talent on show and great for these guys to get a meaningful game (let’s be honest no game vs saints is really a friendly!)!

They best us at home in the prem - let’s make sure they don’t do it twice in one season!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Nic Dolly is back! Fab! I was hoping this would be the case when I saw him training with the squad yesterday.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Looking to tonight, Grayson vs Atkinson at 10 will be a good battle. Fairly even teams, should be some more willingness to play given the match settings, hopefully we get to see Charlie pull the strings well and unleash Simmons, Kini, Cokanasiga etc.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Saints have named a strong team for this.

15 George Hendy
14 Frankie Sleightholme
13 Tom Litchfield
12 Toby Thame
11 Courtnall Skosan
10 James Grayson
9 Callum Braley (c)

1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi
2 Mike Haywood
3 Ed Prowse
4 Alex Coles
5 Emeka Atuanya
6 Karl Wilkins
7 Craig Wright
8 Angus Scott-Young

Replacements:
16 Callum Burns
17 Lewis Holsey
18 Osman Dimen
19 Alex Woolford
20 Brandon Nansen
21 Tom Lockett
22 Charles Rylands
23 Jake Garside
24 Tom James
25 Matty Arden
26 Archie Kean
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 pm Only really Brown, Green (injured?) Porter, Wells, Whitley and Whitcombe missing from a senior point of view.

Can understand why you wouldn’t play Brown in this match. I could see Porter, Wells, Whiteley and Whitcombe getting game time but equally understand why.

Telling which senior academy guys are included I think suggesting which ones may be around next year. Meredith over Walsh for example?? No Tom Manz??

All in all a nicely balanced team and looking forwards to the guys getting a full run out! Some talent on show and great for these guys to get a meaningful game (let’s be honest no game vs saints is really a friendly!)!

They best us at home in the prem - let’s make sure they don’t do it twice in one season!
Green is out for at least the season, some rumors floating that his injury mean it won't just be Ashton retiring thus year.

Wells only just starting to return to fitness post injury, don't think he's fully match fit.

Whitcombe also definitely injured from what I hear, may be returning soonish but maybe not for the other Saints game.

Whiteley I think must be carrying a knock.

Tom Manz may be injured, not sure or maybe he was a reserve yesterday and mainly drilled with the senior team

Portee looking more likely he broke his finger than dislocated it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 pm Only really Brown, Green (injured?) Porter, Wells, Whitley and Whitcombe missing from a senior point of view.

Tom Manz a good example of a player who will probably need to move on to get game time and try and make the Premiership grade.

Chessum O is less than a year older than him and George Martin is pretty much the same age and both with 40-50 or so senior appearances each. Henderson is a little older (18 months or so) and that's a tough bunch to be around and competing with.

If I was in charge of the coffers I'd probably be favouring the better (cheaper) bet of Chessum L and Carmichael behind the frontline by this stage.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:06 pm Saints have named a strong team for this.

15 George Hendy
14 Frankie Sleightholme
13 Tom Litchfield
12 Toby Thame
11 Courtnall Skosan
10 James Grayson
9 Callum Braley (c)

1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi
2 Mike Haywood
3 Ed Prowse
4 Alex Coles
5 Emeka Atuanya
6 Karl Wilkins
7 Craig Wright
8 Angus Scott-Young

Replacements:
16 Callum Burns
17 Lewis Holsey
18 Osman Dimen
19 Alex Woolford
20 Brandon Nansen
21 Tom Lockett
22 Charles Rylands
23 Jake Garside
24 Tom James
25 Matty Arden
26 Archie Kean
Interesting to see Osman Dimen with them. He's been at Bedford most recently I think.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:00 pm

Green is out for at least the season, some rumors floating that his injury mean it won't just be Ashton retiring thus year.

Wells only just starting to return to fitness post injury, don't think he's fully match fit.

Whitcombe also definitely injured from what I hear, may be returning soonish but maybe not for the other Saints game.

Whiteley I think must be carrying a knock.

Tom Manz may be injured, not sure or maybe he was a reserve yesterday and mainly drilled with the senior team

Portee looking more likely he broke his finger than dislocated it.
Shame if Green does have to retire as forced by injury. Did a great deal of the unseen work. Although wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been helping coach George and Cam in that as they’ve been the nuisances in the forward pack doing the unseen work that Calum did.

Fair enough on Wells - can only assume going off the training photos.

Hopefully Whitcombe is ready - if not I can see him not being rushed this year and prepping for a full pre-season and hitting the ground running next year. Same with Whiteley.

Same with Porter in a way, as long as we keep Scott fit - giving Porter an extra couple of weeks before Quins is sensible.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:16 pm

Tom Manz a good example of a player who will probably need to move on to get game time and try and make the Premiership grade.

Chessum O is less than a year older than him and George Martin is pretty much the same age and both with 40-50 or so senior appearances each. Henderson is a little older (18 months or so) and that's a tough bunch to be around and competing with.

If I was in charge of the coffers I'd probably be favouring the better (cheaper) bet of Chessum L and Carmichael behind the frontline by this stage.
You make a good point on Tom Manz - could be a bit like Cam Jordan. Just too many other good players at the time so needing to go elsewhere to get game time.

We’ve shown with Wells, Chessum O and Henderson to an extent that if players go elsewhere and develop and are good enough we aren’t afraid to try and bring them back one day.

L Chessum and Carmichael - should be good to see them in action tonight - being cheaper options and arguably higher (pardon the pun with them both being huge!!) ceilings to hit?!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Missed a trick not doing this as a ppv thing
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just realised Saumaki only on the bench. On his way at the end of the season then