Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Qbec »

That incident has come up before if you can cast ur mind back to Tigers vs. Saracens at welford road if l remember rightly Guy Porter was tackled short of the line right at the end of the game but the ref ruled a 2nd player came in to further push Porter into touch he was yellow carded and we had line out which we then converted into a try to win the game
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Double Remy time......as if there were any other measure.

On the red, you can't dive on a bloke on the floor but I don't know what else you do in that situation. Allow the score with a more difficult kick? Very unfortunate that it was the same bloke commiting the offence.....the root of the problem was the deliberate knock on earlier. With a penalty advantage to Tigers he (Woodburn) would not have scored had the intercept worked.

Back row joint MoM for me. (Forwards, not Backs) Too much emphasis on catching the ball and falling over! 🤣🤣
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

That incident has come up before if you can cast ur mind back to Tigers vs. Saracens at wford road if l remember rightly Guy Porter was tackled short of the line right at the end of the game but the ref ruled a 2nd player came in to further push Porter into touch he was yellow carded and we had line out which we then converted into a try to win the game
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Great result. Despite the red card, Exeter’s poor away form didn’t make a win for them likely.
Let’s hope that Sale lose their remaining games and we squeak into 2nd
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Highlight/s of the afternoon being watching Joe Simmonds do everything humanly possible to NOT attempt a proper tackle on Jasper! :smt005

Steward looked rusty if honest, but the rest, as full throttle a performance as you could wish for. So glad we didn’t take the foot off the gas at 60
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:35 pm
Louis wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:33 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:30 pm

Why can’t he tackle him from the side?
Maybe others will correct me, but Ashton was already tackled. I *think* it would be different if he was running and it was a 2 man tackle, but as he was tackled and sliding, the situation was different.

This could be a load of old nonsense mind you!
See it all the time- player is tackled and another joins after. Just can’t see it being a foul play. I didn’t notice it at all at time as the commentators were on mute- they kept replaying it and I was perplexed as to what they were looking at.
Anywhere else on the try line it wouldn’t have been looked at, but it was foul play that stopped a try. As soon as that’s decided, it’s a yellow card
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:45 pm Highlight/s of the afternoon being watching Joe Simmonds do everything humanly possible to NOT attempt a proper tackle on Jasper! :smt005

Steward looked rusty if honest, but the rest, as full throttle a performance as you could wish for. So glad we didn’t take the foot off the gas at 60
He then missed Pollard on the break for Kelly try.

Bit of an armchair I know but Gopperth had a nice little 15 minute cameo.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

As usual, Freddie Steward caught everything that came his way, but for me he doesn't seem to make much ground with ball in hand. OK, the kick chasers are breathing down his neck, but Mike brown seems that tad more evasive and able to break the first tackle.
So, Mike brown to be at 15 v Harlequins and in the semifinal, probably at Sale?
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:08 pm As usual, Freddie Steward caught everything that came his way, but for me he doesn't seem to make much ground with ball in hand. OK, the kick chasers are breathing down his neck, but Mike brown seems that tad more evasive and able to break the first tackle.
Going to disagree slightly. Teams kick shorter to Steward to make it more of a contest and he is therefore taking the ball in much more traffic, always breaks the first tackle though.
If both are fit Steward starts everytime for me
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Re: Woodburn's second yellow card- several people are saying "what else could he do?" The simple answer is "if you can't stop him legally, let him score!" I know it goes against the grain but thems the laws.

One angle showed Woodburn dropping onto CA, another showed him sliding in to a completed tackle. The slide was from the side so that could've been another reason for a penalty in the act of trying to score, hence, penalty try and card. If he'd bent his right knee a little more to keep ithis right foot off the ground, he's have scored anyway. I'm amazed the wingers convert so many of those chances anyway.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:13 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:08 pm As usual, Freddie Steward caught everything that came his way, but for me he doesn't seem to make much ground with ball in hand. OK, the kick chasers are breathing down his neck, but Mike brown seems that tad more evasive and able to break the first tackle.
Going to disagree slightly. Teams kick shorter to Steward to make it more of a contest and he is therefore taking the ball in much more traffic, always breaks the first tackle though.
Really?
Mike Brown's been in irrepressible form in matches that I've seen, and today I thought Steward was a bit rusty.
Semper in excretia
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Today showed Steward is still a work in progress. BUT he’s only 22, so plenty of time to work on his skill set. Keenan is the standard as to what a 15 can do ball in hand. But no doubt in a few years Steward will be there.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got back. The Woodburn incident summed up Dickson’s performance.
I was at the end where it happened: Ashton placed the ball before he went into touch. Obviously I’ve not seen the replays on TV but Woodburn was given a second yellow, clearly shown by Dickson so it had to be a red. Until that moment Exeter had( like we used to with Backy and Johnno) played the ref better than us but Montoya respectfully kept talking to Sir whereas some of the Exeter lads started moaning at the officials!
As for the game: Pollard, despite a couple of errors is so calm and what a tackler.
Kelly looked class because the hugely underrated Scott was alongside him.
Steward great under the high ball but needs to learn from Mike Brown on how to attack.
All the forwards were immense: Martin and Henderson developing in pot a fearsome duo.
And, Wigglesworth, what a great coach. My wife and I always stood up for him when so many doubted. To turn this club around after the Borthwick debarcle is incredible. Shame we didn’t realise what a talented coach he was when he first took over: England’s huge gain when he leaves us.
Finally: well done to all of us who turned up to make some great noise.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:31 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:13 pm
Really?
Mike Brown's been in irrepressible form in matches that I've seen, and today I thought Steward was a bit rusty.
Brown takes the ball deeper than Steward and has more of a run at defenders letting him choose his line.
Yes Steward was a little rusty so was Pollard, are we dropping him too.
We are lucky to have both but talk of dropping Steward is hasty at best imo
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:31 pm
Today showed Steward is still a work in progress. BUT he’s only 22, so plenty of time to work on his skill set. Keenan is the standard as to what a 15 can do ball in hand. But no doubt in a few years Steward will be there.
I sort of get what people are saying about Steward but Danny Care said recently said teams have to adapt their kicking game against Steward because he is so good and so powerful