LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by johnthegriff »

I have not seen him play for a couple of years but I was very impressed by Chester Owen playing at openside flanker, if he has maintained progress he could force his way into consideration next season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I know its been mentioned before but Zach Kibirige could be a good pickup from the Force, he's looked great in attack from the highlights I've seen
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:47 pm I know its been mentioned before but Zach Kibirige could be a good pickup from the Force, he's looked great in attack from the highlights I've seen
Agreed if we are looking for another back 3 player.

Edit. He scored another decent individual effort today
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Looks like Bassett is playing 15 today vs Newcastle. Will be interesting to see how he goes, can’t say I remember him playing 15 before but if he goes well it could lead to a good added versatility in the squad.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:10 pm Looks like Bassett is playing 15 today vs Newcastle. Will be interesting to see how he goes, can’t say I remember him playing 15 before but if he goes well it could lead to a good added versatility in the squad.
Is that a late change. Nick David was listed to play 15
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:52 am I rate Bainbridge but if we were looking at a flanker I'd probably prefer someone such as Xavier Hastings at Hartpury or even a return for Henri Lavin now he's fit and performing at Lough. Someone a bit younger than Bainbridge with time to improve ideally who would sit just behind Ilione in selection.

I do feel we might need another ball carrying option, i.e. more like for like Jansen replacement, in the back row with it being a RWC year. I can see Martin being with England at the Six Nations if not the RWC. Montoya and Wiese will be at the RWC then in reality are more likely to miss games after that whether through injury or resting later on in the season. Henderson must also be pushing that way. That basically leaves Hanro of the strong carriers in the pack.
Given the number of younger players coming through might Ryan Wilson be worth a punt for a season? Bags of experience can rotate in at 8 or 6, he's a tough bloke and won't mind being in there to cover for injuries and develop the younger guys.

At openside we've got Ilione and Cracknell as alternatives to Reffell then Hatherall can cover. I really hope we're going to push Ilione on next season. He had a big impact in the LI game off the bench and there's more to come.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:13 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:10 pm Looks like Bassett is playing 15 today vs Newcastle. Will be interesting to see how he goes, can’t say I remember him playing 15 before but if he goes well it could lead to a good added versatility in the squad.
Odd that Bassett goes to 15 and Lynagh remains on the wing given Lynagh was touted as a possible fullback option before injury.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:13 pm
Odd that Bassett goes to 15 and Lynagh remains on the wing given Lynagh was touted as a possible fullback option before injury.
Bassett was on the bench. Lynagh only just back could be a reason
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:00 am
ABClub wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:52 am I rate Bainbridge but if we were looking at a flanker I'd probably prefer someone such as Xavier Hastings at Hartpury or even a return for Henri Lavin now he's fit and performing at Lough. Someone a bit younger than Bainbridge with time to improve ideally who would sit just behind Ilione in selection.

I do feel we might need another ball carrying option, i.e. more like for like Jansen replacement, in the back row with it being a RWC year. I can see Martin being with England at the Six Nations if not the RWC. Montoya and Wiese will be at the RWC then in reality are more likely to miss games after that whether through injury or resting later on in the season. Henderson must also be pushing that way. That basically leaves Hanro of the strong carriers in the pack.
On the ball carrying front having Dolly back will minimise the loss of Montoya, I agree about Martin but the return of Chessum will help, I don’t think we will loose both to England.
As an aside when is the premiership due to start, obviously we won’t see any of the World Cup players before the tournament either.
I can see us losing both Chessum and Martin potentially next season. Particularly if Ribbans is unavailable. Ewels and Launchbury might come back into contention but I honestly don't think the latter is the same player now. The England lock options aren't great.

Dolly's a terrific player to get back. His ability to throw to the tail consistently then being so good at the back immediately improves the maul. I wouldn't class him as a strong carrier though. Certainly not in the bracket of those above who we use to get over the gain line against organised defences.

Maybe look at someone such as Simone Tuipoluto at Moana Pasifika for instance.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Open play Dolly is dynamic maybe not the power of Montoya.
Re Chessum and Martin, I think we are unlikely to loose both to RWC. 6 Nations different especially with Ribbans off to Toulon.

Itoje looked to be back to his best last week at La Rochelle. I hope they will look at him and Martin as a pairing.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Felipe Contepomi talking to Pinchen in the stands :smt017
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:57 pm Felipe Contepomi talking to Pinchen in the stands :smt017
BT commentary team saying nothing in it. Apparently Geordan on ITV was suggesting there was
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

There is absolutely no chance that there’s ‘nothing in it’ Ben and Austin!! Why else would he be sat there, next to Andrea, alongside McKellar…

Would be a surprise though. Only recently (last summer?) left Leinster to join Cheika with the Pumas
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

he was just there to watch The Emperor guys there's nothing in it honest...
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:22 pm There is absolutely no chance that there’s ‘nothing in it’ Ben and Austin!! Why else would he be sat there, next to Andrea, alongside McKellar…
And the chances that Ashton decides to celebrate his 100th try by replicating Contemponi’s celebration for Bristol…
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.