LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

If we were looking for a power winger, could do a lot worse than Timoci Tavatavanawai. Fijian playing for Moana Pasifica.
Just over 6ft weighing in at 17 and 1/2 stone runs over people for fun
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:52 am If we were looking for a power winger, could do a lot worse than Timoci Tavatavanawai. Fijian playing for Moana Pasifica.
I know I shouldn't but I have an instant image of Bleddwyn (RIP) getting his pronunciation of that name. :smt005

The guy certainly looks a powerhouse but would he prefer the River Soar (pronounced sewer) to the Pacific?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:52 am If we were looking for a power winger, could do a lot worse than Timoci Tavatavanawai. Fijian playing for Moana Pasifica.
I know I shouldn't but I have an instant image of Bleddwyn (RIP) getting his pronunciation of that name. :smt005

The guy certainly looks a powerhouse but would he prefer the River Soar (pronounced sewer) to the Pacific?
Don’t imagine there is much chance and always a worry lifting someone out of their home environment, especially as the number of Pacific Islanders we have has reduced and is likely to reduce further. One thing is that his coach is Aaron Mauger.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

When you think of all the academy lads coming through.
Why have we not been able to produce and find Centres and Wingers to the same standard?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:50 pm When you think of all the academy lads coming through.
Why have we not been able to produce and find Centres and Wingers to the same standard?
I don't follow the academy super closely but it seems we've had players who've looked good but just not developed like Tyrese Johnson Fisher, Andre Dunn and Ronnie Du Randt
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Olowofela and Browning both looked like talents at age grade but they dominated due to athleticism there. When that didn't allow them to dominate at senior level it didn't translate. Which is interesting. That armchair ride they get a times at U18 from dominant packs perhaps limiting development in a way?

Our academy packs have been excellent for a while. Looking at players let go shows that. Muncaster and Tebbatt in the back row I thought looked terrific for instance. U18 skippers in Jordan and Eveleigh. Bobby Singer at lock consistently impressed. Kit Smith I rated too. I'm still hoping Lavin might bounce back but his departure was more injury related so a different bracket but another talent in there.

In terms of outside backs I wonder if Ollie Smith might've been kept on had Steward not come through at fullback just before? He was the biggest surprise for me in a while with someone not getting a dev squad deal.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Nicolas Freitas, Uruguay 13 and wing, is only with Vannes until the end of the current season. He'd add really good depth in two needed positions without breaking the bank.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:05 am Nicolas Freitas, Uruguay 13 and wing, is only with Vannes until the end of the current season. He'd add really good depth in two needed positions without breaking the bank.
Agree, but if Porter is in and around the England squad then I would be tempted by someone who would be available at the World Cup, though likelihood is a Uruguay player is only missing the group stages...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

ABClub wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:05 am Nicolas Freitas, Uruguay 13 and wing, is only with Vannes until the end of the current season. He'd add really good depth in two needed positions without breaking the bank.
He’d also have shop window at the World Cup - might be a Veainu type signing?!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jack Blain has been released by Edinburgh. Might be worth a punt, he should be quite cheap. He's a big lad and was around the Scotland squad back in 2021. Still only 23. Could be candidate to train as a centre as well.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I Wonder if Someone like Sam Spink is available for next season?

Left Wasps, highly rated and went to the Western Force. Not seen much of the Super Rugby to comment but he’d be a solid back-up for the WC and into the future at least, without breaking the bank?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:58 am Jack Blain has been released by Edinburgh. Might be worth a punt, he should be quite cheap. He's a big lad and was around the Scotland squad back in 2021. Still only 23. Could be candidate to train as a centre as well.
Good shout on Blain - did think it was one of the only odd ones on their release sheet.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Back 3 & Centre Options: (some of the younger Dev players like Loose & Daniels I don't think are ready to be called options for the first team yet...)

12: Kelly, Porter, Scott, Gopperth, Cokanasiga, Woodward
13: Porter, Scott, Potter, Cokanasiga, Cusick
Wing: OHC, Potter, Bassett, Simmons, Steward
FB: Steward, Shillcock, Brown, Atkinson, Walsh

So unsure if they'll be here or nor next season (plus my guess if they'll be here next season)
Anthony Watson -> probably leaving
Chris Ashton -> 50/50 retiring
Kini Murimurivalu -> lean more to leaving than staying
Hosea Saumaki -> probably leaving
Joe Browning -> almost certainly leaving

I would like to see a experienced 13 who can cover the wing, rather than a wing who covers 13. Ideally not someone at the world cup. However I will caveat that given I think if most other centre options are available that Porter will be with us for the world cup, but if the club have chatted to Borthwick and know what his thinking is re. Porter atm, in which case Nicolas Freitas may be a smart option.

The other is I think likely one of Ashton, Watson or Murimurivalu staying. And I'm really unsure which it'll be, Saumaki in the mix too but think he's the most unlikely to stay.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:59 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:58 am Jack Blain has been released by Edinburgh. Might be worth a punt, he should be quite cheap. He's a big lad and was around the Scotland squad back in 2021. Still only 23. Could be candidate to train as a centre as well.
Good shout on Blain - did think it was one of the only odd ones on their release sheet.
He did strike me as a bit like our signing of Dolly. Former age grade player that's dropped off and fallen out of favour. If he's the right character we could back ourselves to get more out of him again.

Sam Spink would be a reliable signing. I was never massively impressed by him at Wasps but he rarely seemed to make any errors.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:59 am Back 3 & Centre Options: (some of the younger Dev players like Loose & Daniels I don't think are ready to be called options for the first team yet...)

12: Kelly, Porter, Scott, Gopperth, Cokanasiga, Woodward
13: Porter, Scott, Potter, Cokanasiga, Cusick
Wing: OHC, Potter, Bassett, Simmons, Steward
FB: Steward, Shillcock, Brown, Atkinson, Walsh

So unsure if they'll be here or nor next season (plus my guess if they'll be here next season)
Anthony Watson -> probably leaving
Chris Ashton -> 50/50 retiring
Kini Murimurivalu -> lean more to leaving than staying
Hosea Saumaki -> probably leaving
Joe Browning -> almost certainly leaving

I would like to see a experienced 13 who can cover the wing, rather than a wing who covers 13. Ideally not someone at the world cup. However I will caveat that given I think if most other centre options are available that Porter will be with us for the world cup, but if the club have chatted to Borthwick and know what his thinking is re. Porter atm, in which case Nicolas Freitas may be a smart option.

The other is I think likely one of Ashton, Watson or Murimurivalu staying. And I'm really unsure which it'll be, Saumaki in the mix too but think he's the most unlikely to stay.
Totally agree with this. The reality is that winger is a pretty easy (and cheap) slot to fill. We probably had 5 or 6 players who could have done a job there yesterday. At centre we literally didn't have anyone at 13.

Similarly 12 is fairly manageable, especially with players like Pollard/Porter who can slot in there easily.

If I were the coaches I'd be looking for another 13. Someone below international level but who can defend well and can at least give Porter/Scott a bit of competition, and protect Potter or others being dragged in. Cusack isn't ready yet and Cokanasiga doesn't yet have the fundamentals of his game quite there.
Never believe generalisations