Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Post by chris111 »

Hippo365 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:34 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:53 pm The Leinster forum is dripping with confidence. They’re saying our pack isn’t as strong as last year, Cronin has wound them up a treat and it should be a stroll into the semis !! Pin it on the changing room wall someone. Was it Telfer who said “They don’t rate us?” in that Lions speech. Let’s rip into them and give them something to think about. Happy to deliver the team talk if needed

:smt027
Leinster fan in peace. The above is a very selective view of the mood. Of course, Leinster fans are somewhat confident - we have home advantage and are unbeaten all season, but to say the forum is 'dripping with confidence' is quite the overstatement. No one underestimates the Leicester challenge or is saying that 'it should be a stroll into the semis', and we've fallen plenty of times over the last few years in Europe so nothing is ever taken for granted. Any description of the Tigers' pack as being weaker than last year largely concerns the absence of Genge which is believe me a huge relief, and no one at all is under any illusions about the threat of one of England's strongest teams with such a proud tradition behind them. Even if it were the case that the fanbase was treating the game lightly you can be absolutely sure that the squad is not.

The Cronin stuff is amusing - if busloads of Highfield supporters want to come up and support him that's their business but his working-class hero spiel is genuinely risible.

The ERC have done no one, least of all Tigers' fans, any favours with the scheduling. Nevertheless, welcome to Dublin anyone who makes the trip, I hope you're able to make it in decent numbers despite everything. Enjoy the weekend, to a point of course!
Welcome, Hippo - always nice to see other teams’ followers dropping by! Sadly won’t be at the game - the ERC’s utterly cynical attempt to hoover up TV profits at the expense of people who actually like to watch the game live has ruled that out.

The pre-game wind-up stuff that you mention is mildly entertaining, I guess - but the idea that it impacts on the motivation/performance of professional sportspeople seems ludicrous to me. I’m not sure if a coach has ever literally taken some bad press and “pinned it on the dressing room wall” to aid motivation - but if they did I’d probably be worried it’s a coach who has run out of ideas!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game almost as much as the Tigers fans who do make it to Dublin 😏
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Post by westwinds31 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:53 pm The Leinster forum is dripping with confidence. They’re saying our pack isn’t as strong as last year, Cronin has wound them up a treat and it should be a stroll into the semis !! Pin it on the changing room wall someone. Was it Telfer who said “They don’t rate us?” in that Lions speech. Let’s rip into them and give them something to think about. Happy to deliver the team talk if needed

Leinster fan in peace. The above is a very selective view of the mood. Of course, Leinster fans are somewhat confident - we have home advantage and are unbeaten all season, but to say the forum is 'dripping with confidence' is quite the overstatement. No one underestimates the Leicester challenge or is saying that 'it should be a stroll into the semis', and we've fallen plenty of times over the last few years in Europe so nothing is ever taken for granted. Any description of the Tigers' pack as being weaker than last year largely concerns the absence of Genge which is believe me a huge relief, and no one at all is under any illusions about the threat of one of England's strongest teams with such a proud tradition behind them. Even if it were the case that the fanbase was treating the game lightly you can be absolutely sure that the squad is not.

The Cronin stuff is amusing - if busloads of Highfield supporters want to come up and support him that's their business but his working-class hero spiel is genuinely risible.

The ERC have done no one, least of all Tigers' fans, any favours with the scheduling. Nevertheless, welcome to Dublin anyone who makes the trip, I hope you're able to make it in decent numbers despite everything. Enjoy the weekend, to a point of course!
Hippo, welcome. I stand by my view that in general, Leicester Tigers aren't being given a hope, which is crazy in a two-horse race, despite home advantage, not having lost all season etc - it's disappointing to see a lack of respect from some quarters, clearly not from you mind. No doubt Leinster are favourites, with good reason. Enjoy the game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:37 am

Hippo, welcome. I stand by my view that in general, Leicester Tigers aren't being given a hope, which is crazy in a two-horse race, despite home advantage, not having lost all season etc - it's disappointing to see a lack of respect from some quarters, clearly not from you mind. No doubt Leinster are favourites, with good reason. Enjoy the game.
Totally agree Westwinds their record speaks for itself and at home are justifiably strong favourites. Tigers will go out give their best and the result will take care of itself.

I suppose there is very little chance that BT won’t have sent the idjut Doyle to front the coverage. Him fawning over Leinster and all things Dublin may be more than I can bear.
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

To me, the media's talking up of Leinster is showing them the respect they deserve. They've won 20 out of 21 games in the URC and CC this season, and around 10-11 of the starting Ireland team are from Leinster.

This is a Test team masquerading as a club side.

Of course, they still have to beat us on Friday night. But I don't think it's disrespectful to either club to say that if we were to get a result it would be an almighty shock.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Doyle being generally rubbish & his constant fan boy behaviour when near BOD means I miss BT Sport less than I thought I would.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:49 am Doyle being generally rubbish & his constant fan boy behaviour when near BOD means I miss BT Sport less than I thought I would.
I find the mute or fast forward buttons on the remote do a splendid job. Then again, although I watch the game ‘as live’ I generally watch behind real time so I cam avoid most of the guff anyway.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:45 am To me, the media's talking up of Leinster is showing them the respect they deserve. They've won 20 out of 21 games in the URC and CC this season, and around 10-11 of the starting Ireland team are from Leinster.

Of course, they still have to beat us on Friday night. But I don't think it's disrespectful to either club to say that if we were to get a result it would be an almighty shock.
I agree with this - and I’ve got absolutely no problem with pundits and fans (rightfully) talking up the quality of their side, which is undoubted.

Where I do get wound up is when they disparage and put down Leicester, criticising the pack, suggesting we will offer nothing of value to this game. Our team is worthy of more respect than that - and those that engage in dismissing the club are being arrogant, as much as they’d protest otherwise.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:55 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:45 am To me, the media's talking up of Leinster is showing them the respect they deserve. They've won 20 out of 21 games in the URC and CC this season, and around 10-11 of the starting Ireland team are from Leinster.

I agree with this - and I’ve got absolutely no problem with pundits and fans (rightfully) talking up the quality of their side, which is undoubted.

Where I do get wound up is when they disparage and put down Leicester, criticising the pack, suggesting we will offer nothing of value to this game. Our team is worthy of more respect than that - and those that engage in dismissing the club are being arrogant, as much as they’d protest otherwise.
Yes, this ^^^^^^
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

STARTING XV
15 Mike Brown [5]
14 Anthony Watson [13]
13 Harry Potter [63]
12 Dan Kelly [52]
11 Freddie Steward [69]
10 Handré Pollard [11]
9 Jack van Poortvliet [62]
1 James Cronin [13]
2 Julián Montoya (c) [40]
3 Joe Heyes [120]
4 George Martin [55]
5 Cameron Henderson [33]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [81]
7 Tommy Reffell [96]
8 Jasper Wiese [57]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Charlie Clare [75]
17 Tom West [7]
18 Dan Cole [306]
19 Eli Snyman [32]
20 Olly Cracknell [21]
21 Sam Wolstenholme *
22 Charlie Atkinson [15]
23 Jimmy Gopperth [14]

* Leicester Tigers debut
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So Porter didn't make it. That does weaken us, but Heyes starting is the only real shock there.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

No Lenny? Have I missed something?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):
15. Hugo Keenan (52)
14. Jimmy O’Brien (67)
13. Garry Ringrose (113)
12. Robbie Henshaw (74)
11. James Lowe (70)
10. Ross Byrne (144)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (122)
1. Andrew Porter (104)
2. Dan Sheehan (42)
3. Tadhg Furlong (130)
4. Ross Molony (159)
5. James Ryan (70) CAPTAIN
6. Ryan Baird (49)
7. Caelan Doris (64)
8. Jack Conan (128)

16. John McKee (16)
17. Cian Healy (260)
18. Michael Ala’alatoa (43)
19. Jason Jenkins (13)
20. Scott Penny (54)
21. Luke McGrath (191)
22. Harry Byrne (47)
23. Ciarán Frawley (63)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:06 pm No Lenny? Have I missed something?
Wigglesworth confirmed he was injured last Friday and "he was still being assesed" at the point of the game over 24 hours after not being named in the team, that suggests he's out for at least a couple of weeks IMO.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Looking at the teams, I don't think it will be as one-sided as the Irish press presume. We might even snatch this.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:06 pm No Lenny? Have I missed something?
Declared earlier he was "carrying a knock".
No idea on severity.