Head On : Rugby Dementia and Me

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Head On : Rugby Dementia and Me

Post by GB72 »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am Well it is odd that there are no claims on boxing’s authorities that I have heard of.

I think why we have heard less about junior rugby is because of the training aspect, and the difference in power.

This have only come to light since professionalism .. repeated-sub concussive knocks every day in training for years. Add that to the power and intensity of the professional game.. that is that has made this issue prevalent
I guess that the issue with boxing is one of who do you sue. You are not part of a team to take action against, all the people who control how you train, if you are pulled out of a fight etc are your own employees, you have your own people in the corner and at higher levels your own medical staff and so there is no higher body against whom to take action.

Agree though, the increase in power since the professional era has made a huge difference.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:09 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:37 pm At the end of the day, this lawsuit is not getting the attention it deserves, both to highlight the problem but also because the entire future of the game at all levels (as per my previous post, this could then see indivuals suing clubs at all levels) and the entire future of the sport could depend on the outcome.
Seems a bit overdramatic to me.
It could be overdramatic but it is not impossible. A large judgement against the unions followed by cases being brought at lower levels of the game with a precedent set for liability could start the dominoes toppling. As I mentioned, other sporst, especially American Football, had the funding to make it go away, rugby does not and that is the worry.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am Well it is odd that there are no claims on boxing’s authorities that I have heard of.

I think why we have heard less about junior rugby is because of the training aspect, and the difference in power.

This have only come to light since professionalism .. repeated-sub concussive knocks every day in training for years. Add that to the power and intensity of the professional game.. that is that has made this issue prevalent

As I've said elsewhere "volenti non fit injuria " the employers defence/partial mitigation that the employee "knowingly took the risk".

With Boxing they praise the knockout as something positive and with the pro rugby sales pitch of "gladiators ""clash of nations" and "almost warlike" is heading (no pun) the same way. "Was impact injury foreseeable- yes to both opponents".

As others have said I see the complexities of duty of care by Regulator (the Unions inc. their Refs), the Clubs and the Players as employees being big money for the lawyers

In the meantime the image and future of the game remains vulnerable. The hard but fair contacts of the old game left Rugby in Gym/Weight rooms.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

So, Bottom of Sternum is the agreed max tackle height.
Human physiology lessons req'd?
Picture of skeleton on the shirt?

Serious matter but high tackle and head to head not the only elements to concussion.

What's the latest on impact sensors? I know I wouldn't fancy a tackle from Jasper even below the current height.