Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Will we finish in the top 4?

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:33 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:58 am
ourla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 am Would like to see Irish in the play offs.

For me the any competition benefits from competition and not having the feeling the outcome is inevitable.
The terrible effects of ring fencing that with 2/3 games to go in the regular season there were still 8/9 clubs that could mathematically make the playoffs.
Had it not been for Wasps and Worcester going bust, we could well have seen the bottom 4 or 5 playing for nothing in a ring fenced league.
It could. But just as equally it could still be just as tight. And of course there is no "playing for nothing" as there's always Euro qualification. Next year will be interesting.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ourla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 am Would like to see Irish in the play offs.

For me the any competition benefits from competition and not having the feeling the outcome is inevitable.
The terrible effects of ring fencing that with 2/3 games to go in the regular season there were still 8/9 clubs that could mathematically make the playoffs.
Not actually sure if you are being serious with that comment.

I think Falcons and Bath showed at the weekend that any idea of teams having nothing to play for is horlicks.

There is pride, there are coaching and players positions on the on the line for starters not to mention the fans.

Will be dead rubbers come the last couple of weeks but that is nearly always the case, relegation or not.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:56 am

I think Falcons and Bath showed at the weekend that any idea of teams having nothing to play for is horlicks.

There is pride, there are coaching and players positions on the on the line for starters not to mention the fans.

Will be dead rubbers come the last couple of weeks but that is nearly always the case, relegation or not.
I was being ironic... :smt002
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 pm
ourla wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:56 am

I was being ironic... :smt002
Fair enough, I thought you might be :smt023 :smt023
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Pretty funny reading this now.

This was AFTER our win against Sarries.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:34 pm

I can see Stain losing at Ncastle, and Glaws beating Sale. I think there is still a bit to go yet to keep interest.Ultimately an Ashton hat trick beats Salaries at Twickenham. Destiny is all !!!! IWWT.COYT !!!!!!!!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tykger wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:56 pm

I can see Stain losing at Ncastle, and Glaws beating Sale. I think there is still a bit to go yet to keep interest.Ultimately an Ashton hat trick beats Salaries at Twickenham. Destiny is all !!!! IWWT.COYT !!!!!!!!
A bit tongue in cheek, possibly, but maybe Salarycens can't afford to win the Premiership - they would then be audited! :smt046 :smt040 :smt018
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So London Irish can only finish above us if they get a minimum of TBP draw, so 2 points or less for them and we will finish above them.

Northampton Saints can only finish above us if we lose to Quins by at least 64 points.

We can no longer catch Sale for 2nd, so we will travel for our semifinal.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I see your ability at clairvoyance is exactly as good as mine. :smt003
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 pm
I've struggled since they started putting tea in bags to be fair. :smt022
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tykger wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:53 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 pm
I've struggled since they started putting tea in bags to be fair. :smt022
Is that grounds for a complaint?? :smt007
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:10 am

A bit tongue in cheek, possibly, but maybe Salarycens can't afford to win the Premiership - they would then be audited! :smt046 :smt040 :smt018
Remember thinking at the time that this was a surprisingly low % given the matches Tigers had coming up. Think odds on Tigers winning the title at the time weren’t that good - i.e. bookies and betting behaviour didn’t think was a long shot.
(As an aside it annoys when pundits say bookies “got it wrong” when outcome doesn’t match odds - bookies set odds to maximise profit not to predict outcome, the two aren’t necessarily the same)

Oval insights do lots of good stuff but think they underestimate ‘momentum’ - a different example is the saints game at Franklin gardens earlier in the season when they had saints strong favourites to win in second half when was clear tigers had all the momentum and ended up winning handsomely.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

At what point do people usually book final tickets?

Is it better value now or to wait until after the semi, or does price remain steady?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sale semi is apparently on Sunday 14th May according to their season ticket holders.
3pm kick off
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Irish need a minimum of 3 points from todays game.....anything less and Saints will finish 4th by virtue of more games won if they were to finish level on points.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk