Will we finish in the top 4?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Will we finish in the top 4?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Almost the ideal weekend, from our perspective, I think.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Whilst they have an extra game Exeters zero points against Bath looks like their championship hopes are very thin.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Would like to see Irish in the play offs.

For me the any competition benefits from competition and not having the feeling the outcome is inevitable.

I see both Northampton and Irish play Saracens in the last two rounds and it will be interesting to see how Saracens approach those two games.

With two home games to finish I am feeling very hopeful we will now finish top 4 and hopefully we can keep this form going.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 am Would like to see Irish in the play offs.

For me the any competition benefits from competition and not having the feeling the outcome is inevitable.

I see both Northampton and Irish play Saracens in the last two rounds and it will be interesting to see how Saracens approach those two games.

With two home games to finish I am feeling very hopeful we will now finish top 4 and hopefully we can keep this form going.
Sadly with sale dropping off a bit and Saracens already having a home semi, my big concern is that they will put the B team out for those matches and that could have a big impact on the final table. If Sarries still had something to play for, you would not expect either of those teams to get much, or anything, out of the sarries first team.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 am Would like to see Irish in the play offs.

The terrible effects of ring fencing that with 2/3 games to go in the regular season there were still 8/9 clubs that could mathematically make the playoffs.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Standings:
Sale (56pts) - Bristol (A), Gloucester (A), Newcastle (H)
Tigers (53pts) - Exeter (H), Quins (H)
Irish (51pts) - Saracens (A), Exeter (H)
Saints (48pts) - Saracens (A), Newcastle (A - 29th April)
Exeter (43pts) - Tigers (A), Bristol (H), Irish (A)

Would predict:
Sale - 2 wins and another result - irrespective would put them in 2nd place
Third and fourth place is not settled
Tigers - beat Exeter - be on 58 points going into the last round
Irish - lose to Saracens - be on 51 points going into the last round
Saints - cant see them getting much against Saracens or Newcastle - 2 BPs = 50 points end of their season
Exeter - lose to Tigers and getting a play off spot is a distant for them.

Conclusion: Tigers beat Exeter at home with a Bonus point to secure 3rd spot? Exeter appeared to pick up quite a few injuries at Bath yesterday and their away record this season has been very poor, only one away win,. Third spot is in Tigers hands and should not be too concerned with other results, just look after your own!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Excellent summary Tigerbeat agree with all your conclusions
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Sale are away to Gloucs as well as Briz.

Still think they'll keep second place though.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:58 am

The terrible effects of ring fencing that with 2/3 games to go in the regular season there were still 8/9 clubs that could mathematically make the playoffs.
Had it not been for Wasps and Worcester going bust, we could well have seen the bottom 4 or 5 playing for nothing in a ring fenced league.

The salary cap has no doubt made it harder for sides to dominate by paying more.

At the bottom ring fencing combined with barriers to promotion are not something I could support. Keep relegation and if no side is deemed fit for promotion, a side still drops with the option of 2 sides coming up the next season.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would be nice to see a new team in the premiership . Jersey would be good away trip for a week-end break although I think ground only holds 3-4k so probably unlikely .
A2O
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ads wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:07 am Sale are away to Gloucs as well as Briz.

Still think they'll keep second place though.
Well, Sale have lost their last three away games (to LI, Saints and Exeter), only narrowly beating Bath at home, so they are hardly the form team, and I think Bristol and Gloucester (both away games for Sale) could beat them. OK, they did beat Sorries, so nothing is sure. This is why I think that Tigers could potentially get 2nd.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMO Ford coming back to fitness has given Sale a bit of a headache. You can’t not play a fit Ford but at the same du Preez has been in excellent form so to accommodate Ford they have had to move him to 13 hich has unbalanced their back line.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cobus Wiese (who has been important to Sale) is now out for the season

https://twitter.com/SaleSharksRugby/sta ... Nsn_g&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tigers away form is the best in the league...

Shame about our home form...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:26 pm Tigers away form is the best in the league...

Shame about our home form...
Not quite a true picture... our away points is completed as we have no more away games (the only team in the league without another one) also all the teams above us on the home list have played 9 home games, us only 8..
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.