Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Who is in your World Cup 23?

Post by Scott1 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:35 pm How much ? Just asking
Whatever you want
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:38 pm Plus speed is a very basic equation ie distance over time …but please consider the variables that Brown adds to this equation beyond being fast to catch a high ball ! This is very much a value judgment
I'm talking basic stuff mate,theres no variables .There has been more than one poster over the week bemoaning Stewards lack of pace and then using Brown as an example. I'm supremely confident that Freddie is quicker. It's a strange one because Brown has never been known for his pace. It's never been one of his best attributes
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Steward is a fantastic player-that’s beyond repute
Backs don’t get quicker nor do forwards for that matter …Brown has all the variables to any equation to make him perfect ! He’s had to reboot
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm Steward is a fantastic player-that’s beyond repute
Backs don’t get quicker nor do forwards for that matter …Brown has all the variables to any equation to make him perfect ! He’s had to reboot
He is a superb player,at one time up there with the best FB in the world. Arguably THE best in the world under the high ball. Brown did work with Margot Wells for a while to work on his sprinting. His main attribute other than his high ball work was his strength in contact, deceptively very strong
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:54 pm
KiwiTig wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm Steward is a fantastic player-that’s beyond repute
He is a superb player,at one time up there with the best FB in the world. Arguably THE best in the world under the high ball. Brown did work with Margot Wells for a while to work on his sprinting. His main attribute other than his high ball work was his strength in contact, deceptively very strong
They are both very similar, not the fastest guy on the pitch but freakishly strong for outside backs, I think Steward had the most post contact meters of any player in the 6N prior to this round
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Had a go at picking a whole 31 man squad post 6n, there's probably 1 too many locks and backrow players currently that need exchanged for an extra loosehead and back 3 player but it feels like we may need to stack backrow because of the lack of standouts

Looseheads:
Genge, Rapava Ruskin

Hookers:
George, Cowan Dickie, McGuigan

Tightheads:
Sinkler, Cole, Stuart

Locks:
Itoje, Ribbans, Lawes, Chessum (Martin if Chessum doesn't make it)

Blindside Flanker:
Martin (Hill if Martin takes Chessums spot), Ludlam

Openside Flanker:
J Willis, Pearson

No8:
Mercer

Utility Backrow:
T Curry

Scrum Half:
JVP, Quirke, YBY

Fly Half:
Farrell, Ford

Center:
Kelly, Lawrence, Tuilagi, Porter/Marchant couldn't choose between them

Back 3:
Steward, Watson, Arundell, Murley
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think they've increased the squad numbers to 34 for this tournament.

I'd add Marler, Freeman and Smith to the list.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:24 pm I think they've increased the squad numbers to 34 for this tournament.

I'd add Marler, Freeman and Smith to the list.

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm Had a go at picking a whole 31 man squad post 6n, there's probably 1 too many locks and backrow players currently that need exchanged for an extra loosehead and back 3 player but it feels like we may need to stack backrow because of the lack of standouts

Looseheads:
Genge, Rapava Ruskin

Hookers:
George, Cowan Dickie, McGuigan

Tightheads:
Sinkler, Cole, Stuart

Locks:
Itoje, Ribbans, Lawes, Chessum (Martin if Chessum doesn't make it)

Blindside Flanker:
Martin (Hill if Martin takes Chessums spot), Ludlam

Openside Flanker:
J Willis, Pearson

No8:
Mercer

Utility Backrow:
T Curry

Scrum Half:
JVP, Quirke, YBY

Fly Half:
Farrell, Ford

Center:
Kelly, Lawrence, Tuilagi, Porter/Marchant couldn't choose between them

Back 3:
Steward, Watson, Arundell, Murley
I like the look of this 34 squad that you two have got to.

I will just say there’s no way Borthwick will pick Murley in his squad over the likes of Malins. Murley for all his good qualities doesn't kick... the game Borthwick plays needs his wingers and back 3 all to be capable of kicking well.

I think when he was cut from a wider squad and people on Twitter questioned it, I saw a stat (this is memory so may be slightly out on the numbers) he'd only kicked twice for Quins all season and one of those was classed as a mistake. Until he adds kicking to his repertoire he's never going to be capped by Borthwick.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think he may choose Mitchell at SH, so will he leave BY out? There's also Randall now back after injury.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:11 pm I think he may choose Mitchell at SH, so will he leave BY out? There's also Randall now back after injury.
I don't think Randall is a Borthwick style scrum half. He doesn't have the game management.

Quirke, JVP and Mitchell would be very light on caps is the only issue there. YBY having four times the caps of the other three combined, if not more.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Squad size for the 2023 tournament has increased from 31 to 33. Looking really weak at LH unfortunately.

Genge, Mako, Rodd
LCD, George, Blamire
Sinckler, Stuart, Cole
Itoje, Martin
Chessum, Ribbans
Lawes, T Curry
Willis, Pearson (bolter)
Mercer, Ludlam
JVP, Quirke
Farrell, Ford
Daly, OHC
Kelly, Tuilagi
Lawrence, Slade
Watson, Nowell
Steward, Arundell
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:40 pm Squad size for the 2023 tournament has increased from 31 to 33. Looking really weak at LH unfortunately.

Genge, Mako, Rodd
LCD, George, Blamire
Sinckler, Stuart, Cole
Itoje, Martin
Chessum, Ribbans
Lawes, T Curry
Willis, Pearson (bolter)
Mercer, Ludlam
JVP, Quirke
Farrell, Ford
Daly, OHC
Kelly, Tuilagi
Lawrence, Slade
Watson, Nowell
Steward, Arundell
He's got full scope to change the EPS so if he goes VRR & Marler to back up Genge I'd say loosehead is a strength.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:41 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:40 pm Squad size for the 2023 tournament has increased from 31 to 33. Looking really weak at LH unfortunately.

Genge, Mako, Rodd
LCD, George, Blamire
Sinckler, Stuart, Cole
Itoje, Martin
Chessum, Ribbans
Lawes, T Curry
Willis, Pearson (bolter)
Mercer, Ludlam
JVP, Quirke
Farrell, Ford
Daly, OHC
Kelly, Tuilagi
Lawrence, Slade
Watson, Nowell
Steward, Arundell
He's got full scope to change the EPS so if he goes VRR & Marler to back up Genge I'd say loosehead is a strength.
VRR overrated! West was the better LH when we played them. Chances of Marler playing for Eng again must be slim too.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

VRR is much better than Mako.
A2O
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:03 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:11 pm I think he may choose Mitchell at SH, so will he leave BY out? There's also Randall now back after injury.
I don't think Randall is a Borthwick style scrum half. He doesn't have the game management.

Quirke, JVP and Mitchell would be very light on caps is the only issue there. YBY having four times the caps of the other three combined, if not more.
YBY and JVP I think are nailed on. Essentially they are injury cover for each other. He's not going to take 3 different styles of 9; it'll be those two then one other, who is Mitchell on current evidence.