Hosea Saumaki - Dark Horse | Leicester Tigers Tribute

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Hosea Saumaki - Dark Horse | Leicester Tigers Tribute

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:26 pm Excellent, Stan! Does anyone have any real info on why we see so little of him?
I think it mostly down to where he is in the pecking order.

Currently above him as wingers:
Watson
Potter
Ashton
Steward (if say Brown or Atkinson at FB)
Porter (if not at centre)
Simmons

Then there's him & Murimurivalu who are probably considered similar, but Kini may be slightly ahead.

Obviously he's a talented finisher, but the all round nature of his game isn't considered quite as good as those listed above. For me all of the above are better than Saumaki under the high ball which is critical to our gameplan atm.

He was going into the PRC as one of the leading senior players there, and whilst I think he played well, he didn't "stand out" throughout the game.

You also have to think he got unlucky with the timing of his injury (whatever it was) he was named in the 23 to play Ospreys away, Simmons came in and has quite clearly moved up the pecking order since. Saumaki isn't going to pull away from a chasing May in the Gloucester game foot-race.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Fair play, TFS, thanks.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:52 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:26 pm Excellent, Stan! Does anyone have any real info on why we see so little of him?

Watson
Potter
Ashton
Simmons

Then there's him & Murimurivalu who are probably considered similar, but Kini may be slightly ahead.

Obviously he's a talented finisher, but the all round nature of his game isn't considered quite as good as those listed above. For me all of the above are better than Saumaki under the high ball which is critical to our gameplan atm.

He was going into the PRC as one of the leading senior players there, and whilst I think he played well, he didn't "stand out" throughout the game.

You also have to think he got unlucky with the timing of his injury (whatever it was) he was named in the 23 to play Ospreys away, Simmons came in and has quite clearly moved up the pecking order since. Saumaki isn't going to pull away from a chasing May in the Gloucester game foot-race.
Agree - a talented player, but doesn’t really fit the Tigers game plan at present. There are a few Premiership clubs where he’d be a better fit. LI, Gloucester, Saints, for instance - would probably be a starter in international windows and maybe making the 23 at other times.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Watson
Potter
Ashton
Simmons

Saumaki has displayed some pretty rapid acceleration in the side so far. I'd have him up there with the quickest in the squad.

His issues are positional and under the high ball where Simmons will be stronger as he was a fullback before converting to 9.

I'd like to see Saumaki come into the squad again before the end of the season though. He's such a great finisher and we do lack a clinical edge the others bar Watson aren't offering (though Simmons has his moments and Ashton used to be a great finisher).
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:26 am Brilliant Stan. Some of those finishes were unreal.
Thanks, buddy! I was quite amazed in assembling one spectacular finish after the other.
Used to play rugby. Kind of a Poundland Cipriani? Yeah, I'll go with that.
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:53 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm Honestly would like to see what Saumaki could do with Wigglesworth getting a tune out of the backs
Seconded. Get him one on one with his opposite number and he's hard to stop. With Brown's running threat from fullback as well could be fun to watch.

Thanks Stan, great work.
Ooh, I'd like to see him alongside Brown. That would be a formidable backline, especially with Potter close by.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

Qbec wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:47 am I would like to see Hosea Saumaki given a run out in the last few games, as from when I have seen him play he has been pretty useful the game away at Connacht springs to minds among others.
He's definitely an impact player. One of the reasons why I made this tribute was to highlight his impact in only a handful of games. Quite surprising to see how little he's actually played.
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

Thank you, sir!

I do think the fight for a winger's shirt in the starting XV is rather competitive at Welford Road. It's almost an embarrassment of riches seeing all the quality wingers at our disposal!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

What do players do when they’re not selected? I don’t think there are any more A team fixtures? I believe some players are sent to Championship clubs, does that include Saumaki ? If not, they must be bored out of their minds never playing.
Semper in excretia
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:57 pm What do players do when they’re not selected? I don’t think there are any more A team fixtures? I believe some players are sent to Championship clubs, does that include Saumaki ? If not, they must be bored out of their minds never playing.
It's a great question! Just keep themselves fit and healthy, forever poised for an opportunity to play? It must be very boring - perhaps even frustrating - waiting for a chance!

PS: Sorry for a belated reply!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

StanWilks wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:57 pm What do players do when they’re not selected? I don’t think there are any more A team fixtures? I believe some players are sent to Championship clubs, does that include Saumaki ? If not, they must be bored out of their minds never playing.
It's a great question! Just keep themselves fit and healthy, forever poised for an opportunity to play? It must be very boring - perhaps even frustrating - waiting for a chance!

PS: Sorry for a belated reply!
Thank you, Stan!
Semper in excretia
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Watson
Potter
Ashton
Simmons

In my opinion I'd have him ahead of Simmons and Ashton, and on Potter's form this season, I'd try him ahead of him too.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

So where is Hassel Collins fitting?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 pm So where is Hassel Collins fitting?
Straight replacement for Watson I suspect
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:43 pm

Watson
Potter
Ashton
Simmons

In my opinion I'd have him ahead of Simmons and Ashton, and on Potter's form this season, I'd try him ahead of him too.
Interesting opinion Rich. Can I ask why when he didn’t even shine in the PRC games he played in.