Keep Mike Brown

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerXV

Re: Keep Mike Brown

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:19 pm
TigerXV wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:59 pm Don't know all the ins and outs of the salary rules but would we have got a second bite at the injury compensation cherry over Dan Kelly when he got injured shortly after his return - could this have been used for Brown?
Think Kelly was injured maybe a day or two before Brown was signed.

You can't turn a signing into injury cover after they have signed a main contract so the dates don't really match with enough time.

Plus the regulations say they play the same position I think?

Kelly's estimates have him back before the end of the season, initially estimated at 10 weeks and you can only sign injury replacements if you're out for 12+ weeks
Ta!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Is the 12 week rule an estimated time out with flexibility if a week or two sooner?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:32 pm Is the 12 week rule an estimated time out with flexibility if a week or two sooner?
It is an estimated time, but if a replacement is signed the Injured player is not allowed to play before the 12 weeks is up
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Here's the regulation
5.10 Where dispensation has been granted in respect of an Injured Player, that Injured Player may not play rugby in any Competition or any other fixture for his Club, or for any other club, until: (a) where the injury is in a single Salary Cap Year, a period of twelve weeks has elapsed from the date on which the player was certified as having been injured as set out in the Injury Certificate;
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Out of interest, if the Chessum injury is as serious as is being implied and if we felt we had sufficient cover at second row, could we bring in Mike Brown for an extended period as an injury replacement even if they do not play anything resembling the same position.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:19 pm Out of interest, if the Chessum injury is as serious as is being implied and if we felt we had sufficient cover at second row, could we bring in Mike Brown for an extended period as an injury replacement even if they do not play anything resembling the same position.
The replacement player needs to be a like for like, so this is not an option.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:25 pm
GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:19 pm Out of interest, if the Chessum injury is as serious as is being implied and if we felt we had sufficient cover at second row, could we bring in Mike Brown for an extended period as an injury replacement even if they do not play anything resembling the same position.
The replacement player needs to be a like for like, so this is not an option.
Unless we name Brown at blindside against Bristol. I'm sure Hanro would love to have his name on the 15 shirt! :smt003

That said, I'm fairly sure Brown is already signed up til then end of the season anyway. :smt001
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok Watson is coming back, but with Steward possibly facing a ban keeping Brown for whatever ban he may face is now a necessity IMO not just a desire.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

We are keeping him !!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Isn’t it weird. Used to dislike his attitude immensely when at Hairy queens, along with Marler and Care, but seems a calmer different player at Tigers. As Pollard said they all seem to be really enjoying their rugby.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:11 pm Isn’t it weird. Used to dislike his attitude immensely when at Hairy queens, along with Marler and Care, but seems a calmer different player at Tigers. As Pollard said they all seem to be really enjoying their rugby.
To me it was a no brainer, he has excellent qualities, safe under high ball, kicks, runs, jinks, he is still quite quick and usually breaks the first tackle. He has different qualities to Freddie and its so difficult at the moment to warrant leaving him out. Great deal!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Let's hope he doesn't tail off as badly as Ashton has.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ashton was pretty damn good v Sarries and London Irish
He struggled before then yes, but honestly the whole team was looking a bit disjointed.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great news as no matter what happens to his form he can help Freddie Steward further develop as he needs to develop his attacking side of the game.
Quins away has hardly been missed in my many years of following Tigers and I personally always admired Mike Brown’s attitude for them and England!
As for Mahler and Care they too are pretty sporting in their attitude even though Mahler can be immature in what he does and says!
Quite a few times I’ve seen Care clap/ praise very good moves and tries scored by us!
Thanks Mike Brown: a winner and here’s to a very successful end to the season.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Steward, Shilcock and Brown feels like one too many full backs to me, but I can't argue that Brown has earnt his new deal. Fantastic performances from the moment he arrived.