Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Two new Fixtures

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/23 ... et-weekend

One new home and one new away game to replace the other missed home game from season tickets.

The home game for us is a day after the Exeter game, will get miles into our wider squad in the build up to any knockouts.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TiltonTiger

Re: Two new Fixtures

Post by TiltonTiger »

I was hoping for a WC warm up match against a decent side. Unfortunately not living within easy distance of
Leicester these offers are no good to me.

Disappointing
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:40 pm I was hoping for a WC warm up match against a decent side. Unfortunately not living within easy distance of
Leicester these offers are no good to me.

Disappointing
Same here. My son and I have a season ticket and we travel an hour and a half each way. I won’t be doing it twice in such quick succession. Shame.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

+1
Hehehehehehehehe
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Timing does seem a bit ridiculous.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Those that don't like the timing please suggest when. A warm up game against a World Cup squad? We will have our own international players away so our youngsters on whom we will depend for the early part of the season risk injury against a full international team? not wise in my opinion. The club have come up with something, not necessarily the ideal answer but something, well done to them there was never an easy solution.
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

not for me as i travel a couple of hours
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

Really disappointed with this.

As per others we travel about an hour. Don't mind doing this twice in two days but on a midweek night its almost impossible for me to get to a 7pm KO with work

Also, others got the Baabas, we get a second string Italy and a under 20's saints fixture.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

watsonjm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:01 am Really disappointed with this.

As per others we travel about an hour. Don't mind doing this twice in two days but on a midweek night its almost impossible for me to get to a 7pm KO with work

Also, others got the Baabas, we get a second string Italy and a under 20's saints fixture.....
IIRC the others managed to get the Baabaas due to the timing of their cancelled fixtures with Wasps/Wuss - they had a few weeks to get something sorted. Tigers cancellations were at shorter (almost instant?) notice.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

watsonjm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:01 am Really disappointed with this.

Think there's a difference in how much the likes of Quins shelled out to get the Baabaa's, vs us getting Italy. When we had the Italy game we had just lost 2 match day revenues in quick succession and probably needed a game where we didn't have to pay the opposition much
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Just to put it into perspective, I got told booking the Baabaas is about £500k, so they don't come cheap. Sarries played Scarlets on Friday night as a similar type of fixture. Saints got the Baabaas then us, we've done an Italy Select XV & Saints. It's tough to get these type of fixtures sorted tbh and make income on them - the booking costs on the big games are pretty high. Nightmare situation where no one really wins from it all and no one really comes out happy.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There are two extra games; they are free to season ticket holders. I have no doubt the club has done its best in challenging circumstances.
Depending where I am in the country, I either have a 90 to 120 min journey each way or 4 hours each way. I wont make these games but I don't begrudge those who can and I applaud the effort of the club.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

These games have been arranged to help the club get out of its perilous cash flow position. Exotic opposition probably would have been more exciting (personally, I'd love to see a southern hemisphere team at Welford Rd), but I imagine this is a compromise in cost vs. benefit.

I'd encourage the club to be innovative with this game, to make it more enticing. A two-legged tie? A penalty shoot-out at the end? Mic up the coaching teams and add it to the RefLink feed?