6 Nations 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by ABClub »

Barbeary can punch holes. He might not be the finished article in other areas but can win collisions ball in hand. It's such a shame he's struggling with injuries so much though. Coming back from nasty hammy injury to rupture an ACL is brutal.

I think forwards especially who can win collisions will be fast tracked in over the summer. Underhill and Barbeary for instance if they get fit for the camps. Martin is already in the 30-man squad for this weekend. Ted Hill perhaps. I think Tom Pearson is far better ball in hand than many of our flankers whilst still being strong at the breakdown as well.

He's not everyone's favourite but I think Marler could add to the squad too. Obviously strong at set-piece but also very good in the tackle and securing ruck ball these days.

Manu is the obvious option in the backs in that regard.

Basically I expect a prioritising of players who can win the contact battle even if they have faults elsewhere. Somewhat similar to how England used Nathan Hughes and Ben Te'o in 2017. Neither were complete internationals but offered skills ball in hand that the team needed at the time.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Could be a very different Scotland team to face Italy
Hogg , Russell Gilchrist Gray all out
Rumours are that VDM and Kinghorn struggling
If Darcy Graham is not back then tbe backs look a bit thin on the ground
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:00 am Could be a very different Scotland team to face Italy
Hogg , Russell Gilchrist Gray all out
Rumours are that VDM and Kinghorn struggling
If Darcy Graham is not back then tbe backs look a bit thin on the ground
COYI! Wales could still get the wooden spoon.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:39 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:36 pm Chessum out with an ankle injury with George Martin taking his place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64958975
From Kev's quote it sounds fairly serious too!
So England have now seriously broken breaking 2 of our best players in training this six nations. I am minded that we have not seen sight or sound of Kelly since England broke him to :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

It will be interesting to see how Scotland get on without Russell. I’m not saying they’re a one trick pony, but everything good they do seems to go through him. Whether the stand in can orchestrate those (depleted) backs remains to be seen. Ireland, France and (debatably) England seem to have depth in that position, but I think at the moment Wales and Scotland may struggle without Biggar and Russell (and even Biggar may not be enough for Wales). An interesting weekend ahead.

Shame about Chessum though.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 pm Let’s face it, aside from Billy V, we don’t have an English 8 who can punch holes for us. The sad fact is, from what I’ve seen, Cunningham-South maybe the only thing close to what we need, and he’d only just started out.
Billy hasn’t looked too dynamic the last few times he played for England.

Perhaps we should look to the future, get them the experience they might benefit from.
Dombrant, although he has been found wanting, may well recognise that he isn’t fit enough to be dynamic at international level. Can he address this? Can the others take their chance.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

mol2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:27 am
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 pm Let’s face it, aside from Billy V, we don’t have an English 8 who can punch holes for us. The sad fact is, from what I’ve seen, Cunningham-South maybe the only thing close to what we need, and he’d only just started out.

Perhaps we should look to the future, get them the experience they might benefit from.
Dombrant, although he has been found wanting, may well recognise that he isn’t fit enough to be dynamic at international level. Can he address this? Can the others take their chance.
On the last Rugby Pod it was mentioned that Billy V and Borthwick apparently had a falling out and that he would not be getting selected again. I would guess that there are enough options in the back row that something could be kludged together to sort of work.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

wigworth wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:31 am

On the last Rugby Pod it was mentioned that Billy V and Borthwick apparently had a falling out and that he would not be getting selected again. I would guess that there are enough options in the back row that something could be kludged together to sort of work.
In The Times it said that they hadn't spoken in 4 years.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:08 am

So basically not since the last world cup... when Borthwick was the England Forwards coach
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

we do its just the RFU being a bunch of tossers that stop him from being picked because he's currently based in France until the end of this season
glenn

Post by glenn »

I could see our boy George as a number 8.
He's has the ability,ability , speed and handling.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:54 am

So basically not since the last world cup... when Borthwick was the England Forwards coach
Yep. You jogged my memory that that is when they fell out.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Steve does seem to be my way or the highway kinda guy and if Billy wasn't putting the hard yards in as SB expected then I can imagine it didn't end well (see the first training session at Tigers)
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:09 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:43 pm Balance.

Lots of sniping in press at the half backs and centres. These poor human beings are only as good as their 8 man bodyguard.

To me the balance of the back row needs sorting. 6 7 and 8.

Calder, Jeffrey, White
Rives, Skrela, Bastia
Back, Hill, Dallaglio.

7. Forager, Jackler, ball winner
6. Destroyer of anything pretty in their backs. Ball carrier, line out option
8. Control at the base of the scrum, carrier, link man.

Reffell, Liebenberg/Martin, Wiese.

.....What's the correct balance for England? Especially in that crucial roll of control at the base of the scrum. Making your 9 and 10 look good.
The French back row of Rives, Skréla and Bastia was phenomenal and I suppose the best we’ve had at Tigers was Wells/Richards/Back. It’s hypothetical but I reckon that if Alldritt had been at 8 instead of Dombrandt then the result may have been different, but the whole French pack were totally dominant. Tom Willis is going well at 8 for Union Bordeaux/Bègles and will surely be in the mix come the World Cup along with Zack Mercer, and Dombrandt will be history.
When I worked with Christian Breseghello in Muret he made the return visit to Wales. We were drinking in the Grofield Inn....speaking French. Or rather Christian was.....I was doing my best.
I was approached by the local Taffia. They'd had a good day.
"Your mate....played a bit 'ave ee"
Neck like a bull, hands that wrapped comfortably around the pint sleever he was sipping his beer from, and two cauliflower ears.
Yeah
Taff then continued, poking Christian in the chest.
"You French know nothing about rugby, see, ......rant.....anyway who's the best player you've ever played with??"
He's brave, I thought. I translated as best I could.
"Jean-Pierre Rives." Came the answer. With a wink in my direction from those steel blue eyes. Odd thing. Beware cross colouring. Black hair. Blue eyes. There was a look where I deferred to his experience.
Taken aback, taff continued.
"OK then......Who's the second best?"
"Jean-Claude Skrela" Came the reply.

.......the landlord then intervened.

I loved working with the French
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member