Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who should be the next Head Coach / DoR at Tigers?

Post by GB72 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:03 am Forgive me for asking what may be a stupid question but why is it taking so long for him to take up the role? Earlier someone said "1st July"???? I know he will have a family to move, other coaches to talk to, etc but we are over 5 months away from July 1st and I would hope to see some contact with the players we have ahead of that time. Players to retain/let go/sign will make his job easier if he has some involvement in what is happening before July 1st. I am aware that most of the new signings have been done for next year according to Andrea but I hope he will have some input there. New thing - IMWT - welcome to the family
I am guessing that is when the preparations formally start for next season. I am sure that there will be involvement before then but the current coaches will be in charge until the end of this season (end of May?) then those not involved in any international commitments (not sure what there is this summer with the World Cup) will be on holiday for a month and everyone comes back and start afresh after that.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Post by mol2 »

He might not be free to take up the post as part of his release from Australia until then?
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:03 am Forgive me for asking what may be a stupid question but why is it taking so long for him to take up the role? Earlier someone said "1st July"???? I know he will have a family to move, other coaches to talk to, etc but we are over 5 months away from July 1st and I would hope to see some contact with the players we have ahead of that time. Players to retain/let go/sign will make his job easier if he has some involvement in what is happening before July 1st. I am aware that most of the new signings have been done for next year according to Andrea but I hope he will have some input there. New thing - IMWT - welcome to the family
Sorry to be pedantic but It’s just over 4 months to 1st July and as said by GB72 for one month , June, players will be on tour/holidays.
gedwards633

Post by gedwards633 »

Salary cap starts from 1st July
A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

gedwards633 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:17 am Salary cap starts from 1st July
Coaches don't count in the cap.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think him starting 1st July makes perfect sense to me.

His focus now shouldn't be on the day to day with Tigers. He needs to join the planning of what the team around him is.

Also I think it's key how he talks about moving his family here. When coaches (or players) come first alone it suggests temporary status. However moving a family properly takes time. Get over here buy a house, get schools etc sorted. All while trying to do a full time coaching job. No thanks.

Definitely spend time with the players, with the staff, be a resource that the current coaching team can lean on to support and advise. However his planning needs to be his team and next season, let Wigglesworth et al focus on this season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Sydney Herald:

"McKellar and Borthwick have a relationship and the forward-oriented style of the ex-Brumbies coach is seen as a good fit for Leicester, one of the historically dominant clubs in England."

As long as the backs get to see the ball?

Interesting times, I wonder how long he will stay given that he has already indicated that his plan is to return to Aus and the Wallabies.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Welcome news, the Brumbies performed under him with a team based around a good set of forwards, sounds a very good fit.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 am Sydney Herald:

"McKellar and Borthwick have a relationship and the forward-oriented style of the ex-Brumbies coach is seen as a good fit for Leicester, one of the historically dominant clubs in England."

Interesting times, I wonder how long he will stay given that he has already indicated that his plan is to return to Aus and the Wallabies.
Another stepping stone then? What if Jones bombs at the RWC?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:28 am

He's signed a long term contract so the ARU would have to pay us a good old chunk of compensation to get him back.

I'd rather have a top coach who national teams are interested in than one who stays forever because he's the step or two below top level.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Try to be positive Scott. More likely to jump ship if we had Cotter, Cheika or the Scots coach
A2O
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

It sounds to me that the Club have conducted a rigorous and thoughtful process to appoint DM, even to the point of meeting his family; that to me is impressive and shows the Club wanted to make sure this appointment will work for everyone. Like many I knew little about him before today, but what I have read this morning from various sources gives me plenty of encouragement. I am sure the same thoughtful process will be applied to the other coaching appointments that need to be made, including who is retained from the current group. For example, as has been said by other posters, the defence has improved recently so for me Everard is a keeper.

As for timings, 1 July seems pragmatic but with plenty of opportunity for early integration activity.
Last edited by Scuttle on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
As Good As It Gets
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Come on Andrea, just announce Giteau as incoming backs guru and be done with it…

:smt002
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am
Sorry to be pedantic but It’s just over 4 months to 1st July and as said by GB72 for one month , June, players will be on tour/holidays.
I think it makes sense for him to come then. We have our current coaching team and this will change end of the season.
We’ve already employed someone to cover the forwards until then. He’s signed the contract yes but think about the planning of getting him and his family over and starting now- it would be chaos. Much more sensible doing it at the end of the season.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Let's hope Oz wins it then :smt040 haha