Tigers v Saracens (H) - Sunday 19th February 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Sunday 19th February 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by chewbacca »

Humble pie eaten. Thought our older players would be overrun but they were very good in the first half.Mike Brown a bit of a revelation.
I'm not cynical just experienced
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I lost count of how many times I screamed ‘No’ at Ben Youngs at that last ruck. And he kicked possession away anyway! It’s almost as if he couldn’t hear me!

Anyway, immense display and much humble pie being eaten by myself.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm
I guess but I would unwaveringly trust Pollard to kick the points in that position, personally I would not have gone for the corner anyway the risk reward would not have been worth it.
A fully fit uninjured, one who had been retching on the pitch minutes before (who Wigglesworth discussed after with the Beeb about not having discussed with his medical team). Maybe not the 100% trust as if he was 100%

Or Atkinson had been good, but hadn't kicked till then, strange thing that being your first kick.

Me I'd take the win move on. That's what we did so lets celebrate.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm
chris111 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:24 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:55 pm

I agree with this line of thinking, there should be no free points given out.
There were a lot of experienced old pros out there - I get that their decision was never going to be a popular one with fans (me included, who was screaming for them to go for the corner!), but I also get why they took the ultra-pragmatic route.
I guess but I would unwaveringly trust Pollard to kick the points in that position, personally I would not have gone for the corner anyway the risk reward would not have been worth it.

Although I would say as a wider point not directed at you, while the extra point for Sarries won't change our chances of catching them, if denied it would have been kept Sale within 6 of them, which is not insurmountable and might have kept Sarries pushing hard the rest of the season hopefully beating teams we could do with do with losing if we are to make it into the playoffs.
Regarding Pollard kicking that, he hurt his knee, outside ligament maybe, he was limping and holding the knee, I think he is doubtful for next week, but kick would have been taken by left foot Atkinson, right side for his draw, did we owe it to the league to take the kick? Probably no.
Game of 2 halves really, have to congratulate Mike Brown for his brilliant display, never thought he could recoup his old Quins form, looked very trim and fit.
Sorrow to have a small moan bur Ashton, Potter and latterly Ben Youngs need to reflect on their performances today, Ben was OK first half but 2nd he needed to be hooked, those kicks were diabolical.
I couldn't believe the first half, then the struggle to hang on but well done Tigers 4 points won.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Hope Wiggy heard the whole crowd shouting NO at Ben when he was about to kick, and persuades him to stop kicking away possession so much! On another note - great to see Nic Dolly standing watching the match - hope he’s back soon.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

What we have to bear in mind is that there were two teams out there. We were the better side for 35 minutes - Sarries got torn a new one at half time no doubt, changed a few things and came out and showed what a champion side they are. We coped with them - just, but were the architects of our own downfall for some of it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Weise 25 carries for 102 metres,16 tackles with only 1 missed. 7 defenders beaten with 3 offloads and 2 clean breaks 👀👀👀👀
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/nemani_nadolo/statu ... pnRHg&s=19

Show's the character of the guy and what we mean to him
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:12 pm Weise 25 carries for 102 metres,16 tackles with only 1 missed. 7 defenders beaten with 3 offloads and 2 clean breaks 👀👀👀👀
If not for the clear media storyline about Brown he really should have been MotM.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Fantastic result, shows we should value experience- well played all, special mention to WW.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:12 pm Weise 25 carries for 102 metres,16 tackles with only 1 missed. 7 defenders beaten with 3 offloads and 2 clean breaks 👀👀👀👀
They're just bonkers numbers. What we seem to forget a little is that his discipline has improved immeasurably from where he was at in his first six months with us.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I also thought Montoya, Captain for the day, or possibly longer, brought a slightly different dimension to the role today, when we left, WW was having a deep conversation with him near the Droglites. Any other views on Captain?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Well done to the lads and Dads

Maybe some supporters could be less Fraser and more Jones.....

Wiese definitely 'on the run' a lot today, no kidding anyone, mister.

As for Sarries....'We' were the ones who stopped their little game, 'we' were the ones who made them think again....

They don't like it up 'em
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 pm I also thought Montoya, Captain for the day, or possibly longer, brought a slightly different dimension to the role today, when we left, WW was having a deep conversation with him near the Droglites. Any other views on Captain?
From what I understand, starting team originally had Wells @4, Martin @6, Liebenberg on the bench. Also had Porter @12 with Gopperth on the bench. So they stuck with the same Captain.

I do like Montoya as a captain, but it may make waves for a swap now
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I’ve not been too impressed with Harry Potter this season. He’s been average at best in my opinion.