Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:18 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:23 pm I know it won’t happen but would love SB to mix it up against Wales. We know what Farrell and Slade can do, keep the pack the same but play a backline of:

JVP Smith
Lawrence Marchant
OHC Steward Malins

Let’s see what the Dombrandt, Smith, Marchant axis can do away from home.
Marchant isn't showing he's a test class 13 at the moment. They'll want a second kicking option in the centres anyway, I suspect.
Feel like the kicking option is always overrated when you’ve got Steward and Malins who are both good footballers. Malins can also play first receiver if needed.

Just thought it would be a good throw of the dice before the WC so SB knows how some combinations could look. Slade often has injury issues and Farrell has too recently.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:21 pm Just how powerful is Lawrence for a bloke not even 14 and a half stone!
Lawrence is 101 kg which is just under 16 stone in old money.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:21 pm Just how powerful is Lawrence for a bloke not even 14 and a half stone!
Rugby stats has him at 14 stone 5,it’s usually quite reliable
https://all.rugby/player/ollie-lawrence
But then again Wiki has him at 15 13 🤷‍♀️
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:51 pm
There's no chance he's only 14 stone 5. That would make him nearly a stone lighter than Guy Porter. I suspect Worcester never bothered updating their website (cheaper not to) and so the All Rugby data hasn't been updated either.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/six- ... -gfzj5x269

Hope SB sticks with the current pack, as none of them deserve to be dropped on current form. Earl has looked good off the bench. Although wouldn’t be surprised to see Lawes in for Isiekwe, he could really add something in the last 20.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:25 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:51 pm
There's no chance he's only 14 stone 5. That would make him nearly a stone lighter than Guy Porter. I suspect Worcester never bothered updating their website (cheaper not to) and so the All Rugby data hasn't been updated either.
Yeah,sounds more like it
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:23 pm I know it won’t happen but would love SB to mix it up against Wales. We know what Farrell and Slade can do, keep the pack the same but play a backline of:

JVP Smith
Lawrence Marchant
OHC Steward Malins

Let’s see what the Dombrandt, Smith, Marchant axis can do away from home.
Just thinking of other permutations that Steve might try against Wales..... Watson for Steward?, yes JVP & Smith with Farrell benched. With Lawrence playing like he did I cannot see Manu playing for England in the future, Cole to start, Itoje needs a
re-boot as he is wilting. Drop Vunipola as he is the weakest link, Start Arundell with OHC on bench ~ just trying to mind read. :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

SB has boxed himself into a bind of his own choosing by naming Farrel as captain, he is a competent 10 but not an international center, he has no raport with the ref and his kicking has gone awry as well, so the only reason he is a shoe in is because he is captain.
Borthwick should bite the bullet and change, giving the armband to Genge would be a start.
England have too much baggage, Mako and Sinkler are nowhere near international standard props, Chessum and Ludlom are showing what an international player should be doing, we have the players just give them the chance and stop clogging up the team with players who are off form or well past it.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Pretty sure SB sees Farrell as a world class player and one of the first names on the team sheet, hence making him captain.

I doubt SB is silly enough to name a captain who he doesn't want in the XV but then continue to play him anyway, solely because he's named him captain.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:10 pm Pretty sure SB sees Farrell as a world class player and one of the first names on the team sheet, hence making him captain.

I doubt SB is silly enough to name a captain who he doesn't want in the XV but then continue to play him anyway, solely because he's named him captain.
Or he could've picked up some stubbornness from Eddie! Either way it's the wrong call for me and guarantees Owen a starting place which is wrong imo. If Ford comes back on red hot form then it magnifies even more because there's no one better than George in world rugby at moving a team around the field. And at his best he's a better 10 than Owen. What was the point in going Smith/Farrell too after the win was guaranteed? That should've been the time to see Smith at 10 without being babysitted by Owen. Owen isn't good enough to be guaranteed 80 minutes of international rugby week in week out for me
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Worth noting that Will Stuart is back in the England squad which may mean Heyes stays with us and Cole may even get released closer to the weekend (depending on how match fit and ready Stuart is)

For my mind Stuart is the best all round English Tighthead atm.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:16 pm Worth noting that Will Stuart is back in the England squad which may mean Heyes stays with us and Cole may even get released closer to the weekend (depending on how match fit and ready Stuart is)

I’ve read it as Stuart perhaps being rushed back a tad in case Sinckler isn’t fit. If Sinckler makes it I reckon Stuart gets released before Cole so he can get some game time
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:32 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:16 pm Worth noting that Will Stuart is back in the England squad which may mean Heyes stays with us and Cole may even get released closer to the weekend (depending on how match fit and ready Stuart is)

I’ve read it as Stuart perhaps being rushed back a tad in case Sinckler isn’t fit. If Sinckler makes it I reckon Stuart gets released before Cole so he can get some game time
I'm surprised he's back already that was a nasty injury he picked up Vs the Boks. He was in really good form pre injury. Sinckler has stepped up under Borthwick, never going to be a world beater at scrum time but he's been solid and his work around the park has been brilliant.

If England could get Stuart and Sinckler both fit and in the 23 for France and Ireland that would help. Help us as well as we'd get Big Dan back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

See if anything I think Sinckler has gone off the boil a bit. I remember when we had the two baby rhinos rampaging around the park for England, now it seems to be just Genge most of the time. Although it could just be that Kyle isn't carrying as much as isn't standing out as much as Ellis,I would have to look at some game stats
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:10 am See if anything I think Sinckler has gone off the boil a bit. I remember when we had the two baby rhinos rampaging around the park for England, now it seems to be just Genge most of the time. Although it could just be that Kyle isn't carrying as much as isn't standing out as much as Ellis,I would have to look at some game stats
Don’t rate Sinckler, he blows hot and cold to often. Has always had potential but rarely lived up to it!