Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersunited

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by Tigersunited »

Good point, McKeller.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:54 pm Great work KPJ.
The more I read and think about it the more I’m edging to DM. That said, happy with any of these chaps….
Hedging your bets there, two for the price of one in McKellar and McFarland.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

After the last two weeks Townsend hasn't done his chances any harm! Just don't think we're going to wait for him though?
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Plus the SRU will surely want to keep him?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cheika & McFarland are the two I'm leaning towards
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:05 pm After the last two weeks Townsend hasn't done his chances any harm! Just don't think we're going to wait for him though?
The SRU might be rethinking not offering him a new contract. There were rumours he'd applied for the French attack role but that the French Federation didn't want two non-French coaches on staff.

I'm fairly intrigued by what Dan McKellar could bring. There's similar vibes between him and what we got when we appointed Borthwick. He's a forward coach who likes uncompromising performances, likes his analysis and his lineout work. He wants the Australia international job and has done pretty much all he can in Australia to get it. Jones has a deal until 2027 so McKellar will be desperate to spend the next four years demonstrating to the ARU why he's their guy. Eddie has already asked him to stay for the world cup but if there's a high profile head coach job on offer that'll be more valuable to McKellar.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

It's Steve Diamond
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tykger wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:42 pm It's Steve Diamond
No need for language like that! :smt044
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wouldn't mind him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Looking at the candidates, none of them have achieved more than one domestic title? Which of them has achieved the most continued success, Cotter at Clermont?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 pm Looking at the candidates, none of them have achieved more than one domestic title? Which of them has achieved the most continued success, Cotter at Clermont?
Cheika has two domestic league titles plus European and International titles
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 pm Looking at the candidates, none of them have achieved more than one domestic title? Which of them has achieved the most continued success, Cotter at Clermont?
Two things I suppose. The first is that anyone who has any continued success ends up going to international level where the money is better or stays long term where they are because things are built around them. The second is that economically the best option is to try and pick the guy who will go onto continued success whilst his ideas are fresh and he (or she or they I don't care which pronoun they use) is starting to come through.

Andrea Pinchen isn't stupid, she's astute. Risk will be weighed against reward here. Cotter might be the surest bet but it's no guarantee and he'll be the most expensive because offers from France and international level will also be on the table. McKellar well he might well be fairly affordable by comparison, even with a contract buy out. His other option is Queensland Reds by the sounds of things and that's going to be a miserable rebuild job post world cup. Neither has been a head coach in the Prem, neither has played in the Prem. It's all a bit of place bets now and that interview process will be so crucial.

Chieka is incredibly accomplished at club level but has the major detraction of not starting until after the world cup. Townsend to. They'd have to interview with contingency plans in their minds for how they'll cope with the period before they join.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

If I remember correctly, I don’t think he won much at Clermont, maybe the Brennus once. Nonetheless, he’s an excellent coach and I believe he’d fit in well at Welford Road.
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:14 am
If I remember correctly, I don’t think he won much at Clermont, maybe the Brennus once. Nonetheless, he’s an excellent coach and I believe he’d fit in well at Welford Road.
He and Clermont were the nearly men for a long time weren't they. They did get the one title but made a lot of finals.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Clermont were arguably the NH best team off first phase ball too. Scored a lot of trys that way
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer