Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:25 pm
TTRITH wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 pm OHC would be our first choice winger, followed by Potter, Bassett and then either another new signing or one or two of Murimurivelu, Saumaki or Ashton.
Yes,if he signed our back 3 would be OHC,Steward,Potter
Has OHC been confirmed???
Depends if Watson stays. Obviously with Bassett and OHC it's unlikely but that's a nice headache
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:00 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:25 pm

Yes,if he signed our back 3 would be OHC,Steward,Potter
Has OHC been confirmed???
Depends if Watson stays. Obviously with Bassett and OHC it's unlikely but that's a nice headache
I personally don't believe Watson will be staying if we do get OHC. But that's just a feeling with nothing to back it up
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Watson has looked every bit an international player in recent weeks. There doesn't seem to be the same clamour to keep him as there is with the likes of Reffell, but it'd be a massive loss if here were to go.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Back 3 players of:

15 - Steward, Shillcock
14 - Watson, Potter
11 - OHC, Bassett, Simmons

Looks good to me.

Strong starting set, with equally strong second set - who you could argue for each player to be a starting player, especially at some other clubs.

Then add a project back-3 player who can play both and maybe a bigger winger/centre and I think we would be sorted.

If we can get OHC - and I think we will - and keep Watson, in my opinion, I can’t see many more we need.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm Watson has looked every bit an international player in recent weeks. There doesn't seem to be the same clamour to keep him as there is with the likes of Reffell, but it'd be a massive loss if here were to go.
I'd love to keep him, but I wonder if he wants to stick around.

He'll be 29 this month, so I'm rather thinking he'll be off to France to play his trade and earn some nice money, in an environment that might keep him fitter for longer.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:51 am Beeb article on Gopperth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64553535
Gopperth was evasive when asked if his Tigers' contract extended beyond his next birthday, but insists he has no immediate plans to retire.
That suggests to me he's out of contract at the end of the season. Or maybe both parties have an option?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 am

Gopperth was evasive when asked if his Tigers' contract extended beyond his next birthday, but insists he has no immediate plans to retire.
That suggests to me he's out of contract at the end of the season. Or maybe both parties have an option?
Possibly, however the reason given for him leaving Wasps and coming to us was we tabled a 2 year deal and Wasps only a 1 year deal.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Something that hasn't been discussed on here is just who is/has been having the key say on signings for next season? Shillcock, Bassett, Hatherall etc all announced seemingly without knowing who will be in charge, what their style of play will be, will that suit those individuals etc. When the latest batch of signings were announced I was convinced that would mean WW would be confirmed full time, and that he'd obviously had a say in recruitment, had spoken to the lads joining etc - obviously not. Wilks the decision maker on recruitment regardless of who the DOR is?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:18 am Something that hasn't been discussed on here is just who is/has been having the key say on signings for next season? Shillcock, Bassett, Hatherall etc all announced seemingly without knowing who will be in charge, what their style of play will be, will that suit those individuals etc. When the latest batch of signings were announced I was convinced that would mean WW would be confirmed full time, and that he'd obviously had a say in recruitment, had spoken to the lads joining etc - obviously not. Wilks the decision maker on recruitment regardless of who the DOR is?
Get what you’re saying but the signings so far are quality players and should be adaptable to any style of play. Fortunately a number of key players have recently extended their contracts so along with a number of promising academy players we should be ok.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:56 am
TTRITH wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 am

Possibly, however the reason given for him leaving Wasps and coming to us was we tabled a 2 year deal and Wasps only a 1 year deal.
Was a 1 + 1 deal
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:32 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:18 am Something that hasn't been discussed on here is just who is/has been having the key say on signings for next season? Shillcock, Bassett, Hatherall etc all announced seemingly without knowing who will be in charge, what their style of play will be, will that suit those individuals etc. When the latest batch of signings were announced I was convinced that would mean WW would be confirmed full time, and that he'd obviously had a say in recruitment, had spoken to the lads joining etc - obviously not. Wilks the decision maker on recruitment regardless of who the DOR is?
Get what you’re saying but the signings so far are quality players and should be adaptable to any style of play. Fortunately a number of key players have recently extended their contracts so along with a number of promising academy players we should be ok.
I think that's the key. They are high enough quality signing to probably be able to fit in whoever is in charge.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well if we've been planning this for a season and had a possible contender lined up we may have been getting their views on players too...

I think the club have bought in to moneyball recruitment (and it has worked so far) so recruitment may be slightly away from the DOR
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:26 pm
Well if we've been planning this for a season and had a possible contender lined up we may have been getting their views on players too...

I think the club have bought in to moneyball recruitment (and it has worked so far) so recruitment may be slightly away from the DOR
Whilst I don't doubt there's a lot more statistical analysis than there used to be we have more of template for how we play now so it's easier to see where those players are going to fit in and what we need re recruitment.

Any head coach we appoint I would imagine would be buying into the Tigers philosophy we have and looking to work from there as opposed to be rebuild job.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/RedLeics/status/162 ... k0tew&s=19

Wiese stopping to help out those in need of a hand