Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by LE18 »

I think its time to stop talking about who, why, when so and so knew, said or what. We now know who is going/gone, so should we just concentrate on who is coming and filling which role, all will be vacant soon. So who's coming for all positions, our ex are all done?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:47 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:44 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:33 pm

The club have form though for making the club a laughing stock,obviously people are still scarred. Let's see who what happens first before you start to enjoy your online victory :smt002
I’m not doing any victory celebration. But you both have written post after post slagging the club off, adamant that Wiggy was getting the job because the club doesn’t care about the fans, with no evidence to back that up.

We have been linked by credible sources to some decent names. We’re all intrigued to see who we get, but at this stage, I’m pleased with the stature of the names the club are looking at. We should all be happy with the ambition being shown.
How do you know that the club didn't have any inkling WW was leaving and decided he was their man all along? Most interviews and sounding out could've been before WW arrived. You don't! Same as all of us,complete guesswork!
Scott I'm not being funny but one of the two hosts of the Rolling Maul podcast who's involved in media circles is likely to have one or two more contacts than you and me... So I personally take what Elliott says as having a bit more behind it than say you or me.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think there has been some considerable smoke blowing by the club.

If the new HC whoever they are, promotes easier on the eye rugby, that will do for me.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont recall the Club naming any other persons, except Wigglesworth early on, and they are progressing with the selection of the Coaching set up, keeping it under wraps.
We will just have to wait to see who is appointed amid all the speculation coming from other sources..
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:25 pm I dont recall the Club naming any other persons, except Wigglesworth early on, and they are progressing with the selection of the Coaching set up, keeping it under wraps.
We will just have to wait to see who is appointed amid all the speculation coming from other sources..
The club are doing the right thing, a proper search and a professional process. Hopefully we'll know by the end of the month.

It's a substantial club job going so there's bound to be speculation. Some side entertainment for us fans guessing who could be coming in.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I don't have a clue who the new head coach is likely to be but I do remember that the last one the club appointed won us the premiership. Lets just hope they do as well with the next appointment.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:47 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:44 pm

I’m not doing any victory celebration. But you both have written post after post slagging the club off, adamant that Wiggy was getting the job because the club doesn’t care about the fans, with no evidence to back that up.

We have been linked by credible sources to some decent names. We’re all intrigued to see who we get, but at this stage, I’m pleased with the stature of the names the club are looking at. We should all be happy with the ambition being shown.
How do you know that the club didn't have any inkling WW was leaving and decided he was their man all along? Most interviews and sounding out could've been before WW arrived. You don't! Same as all of us,complete guesswork!
All of us don’t know what is going on. Which is why you shouldn’t be throwing abuse at the club with no evidence, like you have been doing.

I have never ever said the club have been perfect. I have never said the club has played a blinder. But I will ask for people to back up their claims that the club are useless.

I repeat, the club are not immune from criticism, but some of the stuff thrown at it from people on here is well over the top and unfounded.
:smt038
Well said LE2
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

If our coaches get to join Eng and we end up with Cheika or Cotter then, to be honest, I think all parties have got a good outcome.

The bit that puzzles me is that Wiggy retired to do this interim job. It left us short and meant we needed to make 2 x signings at scrum-half. IF we truly believed he was in the running for the Tigers job and IF we truly believed Eng weren't going to come and poach him then that's fair enough... but it doesn't seem that was the case.

I think we've put ourselves in a weak position for the rest of this season. Our quality at scrum-half has gone down and whatever Wiggy does as Head Coach will likely be picked apart by his successor.

I disagreed with folk on here who made a case for B.Deacon to get the interim role, but in hindsight I think I was wrong and they were right!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

How could it be Cheika? Surely whoever it is has to be in place for pre-season? Cotter is a possibility in that sense as he will not be involved in the World Cup.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Chieka has a history of multitasking, so could possibly be here for a pre-season as well as doing the WC....

Whos knows though! 🤷‍♂️
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:29 am If our coaches get to join Eng and we end up with Cheika or Cotter then, to be honest, I think all parties have got a good outcome.

The bit that puzzles me is that Wiggy retired to do this interim job. It left us short and meant we needed to make 2 x signings at scrum-half. IF we truly believed he was in the running for the Tigers job and IF we truly believed Eng weren't going to come and poach him then that's fair enough... but it doesn't seem that was the case.

I think we've put ourselves in a weak position for the rest of this season. Our quality at scrum-half has gone down and whatever Wiggy does as Head Coach will likely be picked apart by his successor.

I disagreed with folk on here who made a case for B.Deacon to get the interim role, but in hindsight I think I was wrong and they were right!
I guess that if Wiggy wanted to go straight to England, he could have retired and ended his playing contract and signed a coaching contract with England striaght away. Now, I do feel that things are not totally clear about the overall picture. Did we negotiate for Wiggy to stay so as we had someone to run the team short term, perhaps part of the deal with England that he stay for a time, was he evern really in contention for the top job, who knows. What we managed is to secure some form of contunuity one way or the other in the short term. That is what makes this announcement even weirder, assuming we knew that he was off at the end of the season and had agreed a deal to have someone in the hot seat whilst recruitment went on, why make an announcement that kills off all of that subterfuge.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ads wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:51 am Chieka has a history of multitasking, so could possibly be here for a pre-season as well as doing the WC....

Whos knows though! 🤷‍♂️
Indeed. But I can’t see the club (or the fans) going for that (not that we have a say!).
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:47 am How could it be Cheika? Surely whoever it is has to be in place for pre-season? Cotter is a possibility in that sense as he will not be involved in the World Cup.
Depends if you project is to instantly perform next season or build stable foundations with a coach on a long-term contract who has achieved a lot in the game already elsewhere. Cheika also has a track record of multi-tasking when required, and even if a post RWC appointment, could easily find a way to keep one eye on another role for a short term.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

On Radio Leicester last night Chris Egerton said that he believes the club have a coach's signature.

Personally, not a fan of sharing a coach with a team in the World Cup. If we do end up with Cheika, that'll be another year seriously compromised with a poor preseason and no coach focussing on the job to at least October.

“Leicester Tigers is not a club that is interested in having a transition period". Andrea Pinchen.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

loretta wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:01 am On Radio Leicester last night Chris Egerton said that he believes the club have a coach's signature.

Personally, not a fan of sharing a coach with a team in the World Cup. If we do end up with Cheika, that'll be another year seriously compromised with a poor preseason and no coach focussing on the job to at least October.

“Leicester Tigers is not a club that is interested in having a transition period". Andrea Pinchen.
I have heard a similar rumour, albeit unsubstantiated, but from a source that's usually pretty spot on.