Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robbbo

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by Robbbo »

Well today's announcement pretty much confirms my conspiracy thoughts on this whole charade.
I suspect from reading some of the other posts on here that many others feel the same way.
I'm also not too sure the joy of winning last years Premiership leaves us on the positive side of the balance sheet when you take into account the pain of this season and the upcoming 23/24 season.
The only good thing from a personal perspective is that todays announcement slightly increases the chances I will renew my monthly standing order for a season ticket come March / April time.
If we had continued with WW the likelihood of me renewing was pretty slim
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

There was much despair expressed at the exodus of SB and KS at the time and people feared the RFU would take them all. So despite assurances to the contrary, now they have done exactly that. I agree with Big Dai, the club has been treated appallingly by the RFU. As for what happens now? Those of us who have been in the fold for many a year have heard the "worldwide search for a top coach" flannel before. It didn't happen. We endured the promotions from within, which apart from Deano and Wells, didn't work. Even those two can be considered to have achieved on the backs of a team built by others.(I have mixed views on that)
In that period, the club was considered to be in very good/competent hands but in retrospect, they were disastrous appointments.
To those who have stated that the England job is much bigger than Tigers I say, you are missing the point! It shouldn't be so and as I have stated in numerous posts, without the clubs, there is no England team. I personally feel far more for Tigers than ever I have done for England.
We may be pleasantly surprised but I somehow doubt it. The cynic in me, influenced by a long memory, has me feeling more than a little depressed.
A life long Tiger
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

When does the departure of the tea lady and the head chef get announced?;
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

The coaches have families and what recent events give a good reminder of is that when a new head coach comes in, the old coaching team is usually off. I cannot think anyone would want to get rid of Aled but the chance to work with England, plus I would imagine more resources and money would be difficult to turn down. What does bother me would be if certain players such as Henderson or OHC are still in negotiations, then it could go even more pear shaped. I seriously hope that the announcement means all player recruitment is sorted. I can dream!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It seems clear that Wiggy took the interim job with it being most unlikely that he would have the permanent position. Andrea says that we are at the closing stages of interviews s hopefully an announcement in the near future. I presume that whoever is appointed is not currently with a national team involved in the World Cup as that would leave us Head Coachless until nearly Christmas. We may have to wait until the new person is free of current club duties before announcing but it would be nice if they were able to spend some time with us before the end of the season otherwise they will have no opportunity to acquaint themselves with the squad until.they return from the World Cup.just to pick up on Smudge's comments Pat Howard and Richard Cockerill were not failures, the trophies are in the cabinet to prove their success.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:14 pm The bit I do not believe is where she mentions that they're still interviewing. Personally I don't believe that. The timing does not make sense from a Leicester POV if that is still the case. Leicester could have asked England to hold on with the announcement if they were still needing to wrap things up or still midway through a process.
Initially I thought either a lie or still interviewing for HC, then I've had a think about it.

What I guess is:

We have a new HC or DOR ready to go all signed up.

However we have a minimum of 3, probably 4 coaching spots to fill. Once we have a new HC we probably need their input in who they want in those roles. I suspect now we are concluding the interviews for the OTHER roles. If that makes sense.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:42 pm
ourla wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm I'm surprised people are surprised and/or disgusted.

Nothing can be done. Let's wait to see what coaching team Andrea and her team put together.

Another new era. Onwards and upwards, well hopefully.
+1

No surprise or disgust. IMO

Expected both to go, think Borthwick didn't want to rip too much out mid season. People leaving when contracts end is to be expected.

With all the contracts ending end of the season it must have been expected, especially especially as we probably didn't offer Wigglesworth the role long term. (I think he'd have stayed for that)

This also explains for me why it was Wigglesworth we gave the interim job.

Picture this, had we given it to Deacon, but are planning on bringing not just a HC but a team in (likely with a new Right hand man for the HC). Then Deacon would have had to take 2 steps down to remain with the club? We may have lost one of the key cogs we want to keep and build a new team around.
I agree with this. Reality is international rugby is the top of the game. If they had left for another club due to money I would be angry but as it is I think they have staggered the departures to protect the club but with Jones going mid season we were always going to lose Borthwick and Sinfield. We managed to keep hold of the others until the end of the season but the damage is significant.

People say it’s about money- I doubt that’s the biggest factor- it’s about being the best. Borthwick coached the British Lions, Waters came from the world champions. These are international class coaches- why would they stay with us if they had an offer from England? Harsh as it sounds- that’s the way of the world.
We can’t expect coaches to have the same one eyed loyalty as we have.

Surprised by WW going as well. I would have stuck with Evans from Quins. Seems a much better attack coach.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:59 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:14 pm The bit I do not believe is where she mentions that they're still interviewing. Personally I don't believe that. The timing does not make sense from a Leicester POV if that is still the case. Leicester could have asked England to hold on with the announcement if they were still needing to wrap things up or still midway through a process.
Initially I thought either a lie or still interviewing for HC, then I've had a think about it.

What I guess is:

We have a new HC or DOR ready to go all signed up.

However we have a minimum of 3, probably 4 coaching spots to fill. Once we have a new HC we probably need their input in who they want in those roles. I suspect now we are concluding the interviews for the OTHER roles. If that makes sense.
I think this is quite likely TFS. If we have been looking for a new HC since the start of the season then I'd imagine that is all sealed by now. Then we have probably waited to see who else England were going to pinch, and then we knew how many new coaches the new HC will be likely to bring. This I'd imagine is where we are at now - the final stages of the interviews for the additional coaches.

Also, depending on who the new HC is, I'd imagine there are already given the details of who is in the playing squad for next season. So, if they're worth their salt, they will already be formulating plans on how to play and who else is needed to suit the way they want to play.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

WW going is a blessing.

Aled less so, not really sure why a National side needs his skills outside of a RWC, it puts out the idea that the England HC believes Premiership S&C coaches are not up to the job.

As for going forward I would quite like Townsend, but Cotter would possibly be a more "Leicester" coach, obviously Robertson would be the best appointment, but that's just not going to happen...unfortunately.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

I’ve written but deleted a few comments this afternoon. I think I’ll leave it at:

‘I wonder what the other clubs must be thinking right now? Combination of amusement at how the biggest club in the country has been eviscerated in the last 4 months, and bemusement how a team in the lower half of the table provides all the coaching staff and nearly a third of the match day squad’

Edit:

Actually over a third!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I think Smudge's cynicism is clouding his memory. Yes, as JtG states, Howard and Cocker enjoyed successes. Also, in the professional era, Tigers have at times recruited from outside the club - Dwyer, Llofreda, Meyer, O'Connor, and latterly Borthwick et al, with, at best, mixed results.
We will obviously need to wait and see who is next, but I think the Club were prepared to invest heavily in the last coaching team (don't think Borthwick, Walters and Sinfield would have come cheap), and that seemingly hasn't always been the case. I am hopeful that the Club remains prepared to invest fully in whoever the next coaching team is.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:23 pm When does the departure of the tea lady and the head chef get announced?;
I thought the introduction of Stealth was a strange move but it all makes perfect sense now. Stealth was brought in early to replace Welford when he gets poached by England too

For what it's worth, I don't blame the club at all and I'm confident in Andrea Pinchens's judgement and ability. Mistakes have been made in the past but that was under very different leadership. I personally think Pinchen is much more outwardly looking than some of her predecessors.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

I just hope the Crumbie stand and Terrace are firmly secured!
So we have lost our Shop Manager, Head of Communications, Steve, Sir Kevin, Aled , and now Wigglesworth ~ the cupboard will be bare. I really feel of the security of our long standing coaches in Brett Deacon, Matt Smith, Tom Harrison , Matt Everard and of course our top grounds an Ed Mowe.
The RFU have stripped our guts out.
I recall my old work colleague who left a shoebox with a turd inside the Edinburgh Inland Revenue with a note "Now you have it all !!" :smt013
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

At least we can thank Borths for taking WW :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'm saying Middleton!