Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm I'm surprised people are surprised and/or disgusted.

Nothing can be done. Let's wait to see what coaching team Andrea and her team put together.

Another new era. Onwards and upwards, well hopefully.
+1

No surprise or disgust. IMO

Expected both to go, think Borthwick didn't want to rip too much out mid season. People leaving when contracts end is to be expected.

With all the contracts ending end of the season it must have been expected, especially especially as we probably didn't offer Wigglesworth the role long term. (I think he'd have stayed for that)

This also explains for me why it was Wigglesworth we gave the interim job.

Picture this, had we given it to Deacon, but are planning on bringing not just a HC but a team in (likely with a new Right hand man for the HC). Then Deacon would have had to take 2 steps down to remain with the club? We may have lost one of the key cogs we want to keep and build a new team around.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

No surprise or disgust about the departures, it was on the cards.

My only issue is the timing of the announcement in that we are still getting over losing 2 coaches and announcing the departure of 2 more only gives more uncertainty (OK it may have been common knowledge amongst the players and staff, who knows) but the decent thing would have been to allow the club to time the announcement of more departures with the announcement of the incoming coach or, if needs be, at least wait until the end of the season.

I just cannot see what announcing it now has achieved except maybe delfect some news stories away from the result at the weekend.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

So having built a team that plays for a coach which of the players now leave because they don't like the nrw set up?

And the walls came tumbling down.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I've not read all the posts on this thread, just wondering what the existing players think about all of this, also what will a new HC make of the existing squad and the new signings imposed on him, will harmony reign?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:25 pm One person I definitely do not want is Erasmus, who's the very last person I'd like to see at Welford Road.
Brendan Venter would run him close!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:03 pm I've not read all the posts on this thread, just wondering what the existing players think about all of this, also what will a new HC make of the existing squad and the new signings imposed on him, will harmony reign?
If I'm a new coach I'm absolutely licking my lips at the thought of working with a squad like ours!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:05 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:25 pm One person I definitely do not want is Erasmus, who's the very last person I'd like to see at Welford Road.
Brendan Venter would run him close!
or Gatland
A2O
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:51 pm So having built a team that plays for a coach which of the players now leave because they don't like the nrw set up?

Ye wretched merchant of doom, Big Dai!
Semper in excretia
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

One thing does perplex me slightly in all this house of cards/Game of Thrones moving. We have been successful for half and a bit season, with the Euro final and winning the Premiership final. How is that we have been rinsed butthe RFU and Sarries and Exeter to the same extent have been left alone by the RFU? They have cleaned up more or less for the last 10 years. What makes Borthwick and Co more desirable and better than Macall or Baxter?
It’s all done now but seems we have been the launch pad for Borthwick and Co.
I have faith in Andrea, she and the club will have some signature on a contract. She strikes me as far to astute not to have played a blinder.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:15 pm One thing does perplex me slightly in all this house of cards/Game of Thrones moving. We have been successful for half and a bit season, with the Euro final and winning the Premiership final. How is that we have been rinsed butthe RFU and Sarries and Exeter to the same extent have been left alone by the RFU? They have cleaned up more or less for the last 10 years. What makes Borthwick and Co more desirable and better than Macall or Baxter?
I have faith in Andrea, she and the club will have some signature on a contract. She strikes me as far to astute not to have played a blinder.
Haven't they both said they don't want the job?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think England might have been better off with Evans as attack coach.
However I am relieved we haven’t made a long term appointment of Wiggo as he isn’t ready for head coach at Premiership level and to throw him aside in the near future would have been harsh.

Was the signing of the 4 of them all part of the deal but we declined to release all of them immediately?

Aled is clearly a good fitness coach. Perhaps over emphasised because we were so long without a dedicated conditioning coach since the Cockers days. (Apparently he didn’t think we needed one and could do this role) Going from the fittest side in the league to one that capitulated in the last quarter was telling) A physio friend of mine shared my theory that Tigers pre match warm ups were too long contributing to running out of steam late in the games when other sides warm ups (and ours under Borthwick) were shorter and more about getting a feel for the ball, fine tuning alignments and drills not a physical training session.

Let’s hope we replace him wisely. Although I am unsure why England need a conditioning coach other than for the World Cup. Other than that it should be a liaison role with the club coaches. You can’t make big improvements in a couple of weeks.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:13 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:51 pm So having built a team that plays for a coach which of the players now leave because they don't like the nrw set up?

Ye wretched merchant of doom, Big Dai!
Oui Mon brave! The despair squid hath attacked me!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:04 pm I can see it now. Tigers coaching staff has just been eviscerated, thanks to the RFUs ineptitude. This season is a write off. Next season will be a huge challenge, having to embed a pretty much entirely new coaching team. If the RFU pushed to bring the Prem down to 10 teams I think we should be very, very nervous.

It is difficult to see any light on the dark tunnel we are now entering.
Don't forget its also the World Cup next season so we could have c10-15 unavailable for a pre-season and / or early games. New coach plus half a squad to work with before November? Hard to be optimistic for 23-24 season either
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

In amongst the usual corporate statement from Andrea, there were two notable bits said. One i believe, the other i do not believe.

The bit i believe is where she mentions about wanting someone to lead for next season & we do not want a transition period. This I believe and I think it points towards who the next HC will be. I suspect it is someone who can come in and tale charge July 1st and have a pre-season underway with a new coaching set up. As a result, i think Gregor becomes less likely and someone like Cotter more likely. May not be Cotter but someone of that ilk.

The bit I do not believe is where she mentions that they're still interviewing. Personally I don't believe that. The timing does not make sense from a Leicester POV if that is still the case. Leicester could have asked England to hold on with the announcement if they were still needing to wrap things up or still midway through a process.

In terms of us moving forward, the reality is that we are an attractive proposition from a squad perspective. You will have a core 28 senior players that have been here for at least a season, that is packed full of youthful talent that are already ahead of their development. That is combined with 4 confirmed new arrivals (with more on the way) that add to what we have and improve the squad. There is also another 10-15 in the academy and senior academy that are highly regarded. Any new coach will have a lot of talent at their disposal to take us through the next world cup cycle.

The World Cup will be tough for us, there is no doubt about that, however we may be helped. The schedule for next season has not been confirmed yet but the plan is to have as little overlap between the Prem and WC as possible. The plan is to get the Prem Cup out of the way during the WC to avoid those issues. Last time the WC final clashed with Round 3 of the Prem so we could get our England boys back sooner, as personally i don't see England making the final. We will also benefit from our England lads having an Aled Walters pre-season whilst in the training camp, so another silver lining there.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

watsonjm wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:15 pm One thing does perplex me slightly in all this house of cards/Game of Thrones moving. We have been successful for half and a bit season, with the Euro final and winning the Premiership final. How is that we have been rinsed butthe RFU and Sarries and Exeter to the same extent have been left alone by the RFU? They have cleaned up more or less for the last 10 years. What makes Borthwick and Co more desirable and better than Macall or Baxter?
Haven't they both said they don't want the job?
Not sure but money talks and I am sure if they were offered good money then disappointingly loyalty will disappear.
I just find it odd that we have been ransacked but other clubs with more continued succeed have escaped.
Totally a mute point but it makes me feel that we have been a patsy for the RFU and to a lesser degree Borthwick and Co.
There is never any points for 2nd place...