Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by trendylfj »

Whilst I am extremely disappointed to lose most of our coaching team, no one can say it was not unexpected. If we knew it was coming then the club did too and as Andrea said - we started the process at the start of the season and we will take our time. Every time the issue is brought up in conversations with my mates, we were hoping to keep Aled - knew he was likely to go: we were hoping to keep Sir Kev but again knew he was likely to go. WW - don't really have any opinion yet as he hasn't really had time to prove himself as a coach to me. For me, in order of preference, I would like

Head coach - 1.Townsend, or 2 Macfarland and 3.Cheika

McDonald is doing the A/B summer tours so is unavailable - https://rugby365.com/countries/new-zeal ... in-europe/

Vesty is a non starter as far as I am concerned - too big a jump for him yet

Whoever is appointed will have the opportunity to bring in whoever they want as their coaching team which has to be good. Let us just hope for an early appointment after the 6N
Hehehehehehehehe
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I Cant believe the RFU, in what sport, in what country does this happen. Has the hallmark of them pushing the announcement. They need some good news.

Who is next to leave? And who do we want?

I still want Rassie next…….
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Borthwick wants people he can trust and I don’t blame them for going. I blame the RFU and Jones for messing it all up for us. You don’t become world class without ambition and they are taking the next step on the ladder- hard as that is to take it is true. The England job is bigger than the tigers job.

Just hope they have a plan in place for next season.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:30 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:26 pm
TTRITH wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:18 pm Simon Middleton to step down as Red Roses coach.
We could do worse. Maybe even with Deacs and Bemand in tow?
I'd certainly like to see them given a shot.

Equally, perhaps see him do a similar role to what Lancaster did for Cullen and go and poach Vesty back from Saints?

Vesty - Head Coach (Attack)
Middleton - Assistant Coach (Backs)
Deacon, L - Forwards (Line Out)
Deacon, B - Forwards (Breakdown)
Everard - Defence
No thank you
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don’t think wigglesworth would leave if he was going to be offered the top job here, which suggests we know who we want
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:08 pm Well we'll certainly be starting with a clean slate next season........just hope this season doesn't peter out for us.
It is already a right off
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

I can see it now. Tigers coaching staff has just been eviscerated, thanks to the RFUs ineptitude. This season is a write off. Next season will be a huge challenge, having to embed a pretty much entirely new coaching team. If the RFU pushed to bring the Prem down to 10 teams I think we should be very, very nervous.

It is difficult to see any light on the dark tunnel we are now entering.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:50 pm Whilst I am extremely disappointed to lose most of our coaching team, no one can say it was not unexpected. If we knew it was coming then the club did too and as Andrea said - we started the process at the start of the season and we will take our time. Every time the issue is brought up in conversations with my mates, we were hoping to keep Aled - knew he was likely to go: we were hoping to keep Sir Kev but again knew he was likely to go. WW - don't really have any opinion yet as he hasn't really had time to prove himself as a coach to me. For me, in order of preference, I would like

Head coach - 1.Townsend, or 2 Macfarland and 3.Cheika

McDonald is doing the A/B summer tours so is unavailable - https://rugby365.com/countries/new-zeal ... in-europe/

Vesty is a non starter as far as I am concerned - too big a jump for him yet

Whoever is appointed will have the opportunity to bring in whoever they want as their coaching team which has to be good. Let us just hope for an early appointment after the 6N
MacDonald was doing the NZ XV tour at the end of 2022. There will be no real summer tours as it will be World Cup prep. As far as I am aware, MacDonald is a viable candidate, alongside Townsend, McFarland, Cotter etc.

Personally no to Cheika - too much of a character, regardless of his coaching success. Same to Erasmus.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Suspect given Cockers’ announcement today that England are preparing to confirm the coaching setup for the World Cup and we wanted to get in ahead of that
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

dunc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:06 pm Suspect given Cockers’ announcement today that England are preparing to confirm the coaching setup for the World Cup and we wanted to get in ahead of that
In the piece on the Tigers website Andrea says Tigers want leadership from the beginning of the season and are not a club that is interested in a transition period. That would seem to narrow the field to those not involved in the RWC. Or am I reading too much into it?
As Good As It Gets
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:12 pm
dunc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:06 pm Suspect given Cockers’ announcement today that England are preparing to confirm the coaching setup for the World Cup and we wanted to get in ahead of that
In the piece on the Tigers website Andrea says Tigers want leadership from the beginning of the season and are not a club that is interested in a transition period. That would seem to narrow the field to those not involved in the RWC. Or am I reading too much into it?
Nope, sounds a fair assessment.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Vern Cotter would be a good candidate as head coach but who to appoint to be responsible for attack and defence, I've no idea.
One person I definitely do not want is Erasmus, who's the very last person I'd like to see at Welford Road.
Semper in excretia
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I'm surprised people are surprised and/or disgusted.

Nothing can be done. Let's wait to see what coaching team Andrea and her team put together.

Another new era. Onwards and upwards, well hopefully.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:25 pm Vern Cotter would be a good candidate as head coach but who to appoint to be responsible for attack and defence, I've no idea.
One person I definitely do not want is Erasmus, who's the very last person I'd like to see at Welford Road.
Agree, think for me Erasmus is slightly above MoC in who I want, but not much

Preference order for me.

Townsend
Cotter
McFarland
Middleton

Those saying Robertson seem to forget he's contracted for another couple of years with a release clause for an international role. He wants the AB job if not that he'll be a T1 International coach or stay where he is.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Stand corrected on McDonald - didn't check the date - Dohhhhhh
Hehehehehehehehe