England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England squad

Post by wigworth »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:08 am https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2ff6 ... 3d871a666d

Excuses started already. Eddie took an England team that didn’t get past the group stage at a home WC and won the grandslam.

SB gets a team who won an away tour to Australia and drew to NZ - at a minimum should be beating Scotland at home, no offence to Scotland.
Seeing as the press played a big part in getting the last guy fired they probably have to run cover for the new guy for a while.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Surprised by these comments of SB but - IBWT.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:53 pm Surprised by these comments of SB but - IBWT.
I'm not ,he said similar about us and then sent the players home once. And it worked well for us .Maybe SB is just good working to a target but gets stuck after that. And his target with this England team is to win the 2027 RWC.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Prior to the first round of matches, the usual "England have a massive pool of players to choose from so should be winning more" quote came out. It got me thinking, you can have a million players to choose from, but if they don't cut it at international level, then there's nothing you can do. Scrum half is a classic example, potentially we've got JVP, Youngs, Quirke, Mitchell, Randall for starters. Of those, Youngs is on the brink, JVP has potential but isn't quite there, the others have been sniffing around but haven't made the 23 for one reason or another. Where is the depth ? Same with the props, great for Cole to come back in, but you'd think that they'd be a few in the background waiting to come in - clearly not.

Warburton and Barclay's review of the Calcutta Cup game was telling. England were in a position, several times to exploit space - Dombrandt even pointed at where the space was, but Smith ignored it and hoofed the ball down the middle of the pitch. We carried 173 times in that game, but it was 1 metre here, 2 metres there. There was no footwork to stress the Scottish defence. There there's the Smith/Farrell thing, With no 12 to threaten the line, the Scots lit up a fat one, and sat back ready to absorb any attacking intent that we had.

Aside from the positional issues that we have, the lack of ability to react to what's in front of you, have the mentality to exploit certain situations, is a massive worry. Scotland however, the final VDM try. 4 rucks of less than 2 seconds, England couldn't recover defensively and accurate passing exploited the space. Job done.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:46 pm Prior to the first round of matches, the usual "England have a massive pool of players to choose from so should be winning more" quote came out. It got me thinking, you can have a million players to choose from, but if they don't cut it at international level, then there's nothing you can do. Scrum half is a classic example, potentially we've got JVP, Youngs, Quirke, Mitchell, Randall for starters. Of those, Youngs is on the brink, JVP has potential but isn't quite there, the others have been sniffing around but haven't made the 23 for one reason or another. Where is the depth?
Ben White used to be England Qualified. However wasn't considered in the mix.

Personally I think JvP is better than White which is why Tigers kept JvP not White, but not much in it. Would White be in the discussions for England is he hadn't been capped by Scotland?

The other scrum half who's impressed me is Gus Warr, think Quirke may have a fight on to get that 9 shirt back now he's recovered from injury.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

If my memory is correct - White captained England in a BaaBaas game when we was with us……. But I could be wrong.

With his current form for Irish I would have thought he would have been in the mix for England selection.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:00 pm If my memory is correct - White captained England in a BaaBaas game when we was with us……. But I could be wrong.

With his current form for Irish I would have thought he would have been in the mix for England selection.
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... en-2912198

Yep funny squad that. White now playing for Scotland with Sheedy and Williams for Wales.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... gF6oQ&s=19

Slade & Arundell return to the Squad back from Injury. Porter & Murley drop out
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 pm https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... gF6oQ&s=19

Slade & Arundell return to the Squad back from Injury. Porter & Murley drop out
I feel for Murley didn't even get a chance
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 73LiQ&s=19

Cockers leaving England for Montpellier after the 6N
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:02 am https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 73LiQ&s=19

Cockers leaving England for Montpellier after the 6N
phew that’s a relief at least not coming back to Tigers.
A2O
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:08 am Excuses started already. Eddie took an England team that didn’t get past the group stage at a home WC and won the grandslam.

SB gets a team who won an away tour to Australia and drew to NZ - at a minimum should be beating Scotland at home, no offence to Scotland.
That is a rather slanted view.

Did you think England were bang on course under Jones then?

Jones lost his last two against Scotland iirc.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Three Premiership titles in five finals for us.

Led Toulon to a Top 14 Final.

Got Edinburgh from nowhere to the semi-finals for the first time.

I can only hope for a Tigers forwards coach with as good a track record as Cockers!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 am Three Premiership titles in five finals for us.

I can only hope for a Tigers forwards coach with as good a track record as Cockers!
History. Nothing recently
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 am Three Premiership titles in five finals for us.

Missing him falling to pieces and turning the team into a laughing stock?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer