6 Nations 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ancientmariner

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by ancientmariner »

Not sure what all the gloom and criticism is about - an excellent test match with the Scots, just that bit more adventurous, shading it. It's getting a bit like wendyball - "Bringing football home" etc. England have no right to win.
Ancient Mariner
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

As inspirational as Sinfield is, he’s only been in rugby Union for a relatively very short time frame and I’m not sure he’s international standard just yet
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 pm Did anyone else notice the blocking by Scottish hooker on (possibly) Farrell (hard to make out) right at the start of the move? Still a great try though.
Yes saw that, just ushered him out of the way to leave the gap for VDM to get through.

I don’t think we fared that badly considering it’s a new coaching group who have had 5 minutes with the players.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Effectively we ran out of steam and ideas as the game went on. Not sure if that was replacements not hitting their straps or just fatigue (or both) but Scotland kept going and played really well for the last 20mins as we butchered possession and territory.

For 50mins+ we were ahead and just about shading it, looking bright ball in hand with good connectivity and multi phase ball in hand (see Malins 2nd try). If Faz kicks the 4pts he should have then it could well have been different but the Scots hung tough and kept it close.

Decent showing, lots to improve especially defensively but largely positive.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 pm Did anyone else notice the blocking by Scottish hooker on (possibly) Farrell (hard to make out) right at the start of the move? Still a great try though.
Yes,very clever
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Clearly some work to do for Borthwick, I don't think it is fair to expect all that much given the limited time he has had so far but there are definitely areas that need work, as others have mentioned interestingly these seem to be areas Tigers have also struggled with this season.

For the front row I thought Genge was the only decent performance from the starters, the other two were middling at best but there aren't a lot of options to replace them with so they will likely keep their starting spots. How VRR is not in squad over Mako is baffling and I can only assume it is down to not being able to selected more new players, Mako is very clearly done at international level.

Second row was ok, as other have said Itoje's form seems to have gone since the lions tour and maybe it is time to bench him for a while and give another combo an opportunity. Chessum I thought certainly played well enough to earn him self a place in the match day squad going forward and was one of the few England players who had a pretty decent game.

The back row was not great, Ludlam was another who had a decent game and seems to be always trying hard and industrious, Curry for me was mostly anonymous in the game and made a couple of errors and Dombrandt was middling, he ran some decent lines which some came off and others didn't. I would keep Ludlam and Dombrandt in for next week but Earl should get the start and Curry drop to the bench.

Both scrum halfs were poor, Mitchell should get an opportunity now with JVP on the bench.

Unsurprisingly Smith Farrell didn't work, although I hope this is only being done due to the lack of inside centres available. I am still not convinced that Smith's style will ever work at international level and his defensive abilities are dubious. For me Farrell should be the starting 10 when or if a inside centre is ever fit. Marchant seemed pretty anonymous as well, Lawrence should get the start next week.

And the back three were as a whole pretty middling with Malins the only player of note, he looked decent in attack and took his tries well. Freddie was pretty poor defensively, missing a few tackles that are inexcusable for a international full back and OHC didn't really make an impression on the game.
Last edited by wigworth on Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 am Clearly some work to do for Borthwick, I don't think it is fair to expect all that much given the limited time he has had so far but there are definitely areas that need work, as other have mentioned interestingly these seem to be areas Tigers have also struggled with this season.

For the front row I thought only Genge was the only decent performance from the starters, the other two were middling at best but there aren't a lot of options to replace them with so they will likely keep their starting spots. How VRR is not in squad over Mako is baffling and I can only assume it is down to not being able to selected more new players, Mako is very clearly done at international level.

Second row was ok, as other have said Itoje's form seems to have gone since the lions tour and maybe it is time to bench him for a while and give another combo an opportunity. Chessum I thought certainly played well enough to earn him self a place in the match day squad going forward and was one of the few England players who had a pretty decent game.

The back row was not great, Ludlam was another who had a decent game and seems to be always trying hard and industrious, Curry for me was mostly anonymous in the game and made a couple of errors and Dombrandt was middling, he ran some decent lines which some came off and others didn't. I would keep Ludlam and Dombrandt in for next week but Earl should get the start and Curry drop to the bench.

Both scrum halfs were poor, Mitchell should get an opportunity now with JVP on the bench.

Unsurprisingly Smith Farrell didn't work, although I hope this is only being done due to the lack of inside centres available. I am still not convinced that Smith's style will ever work at international level and his defensive abilities are dubious. For me Farrell should be the starting 10 when or if a inside centre is ever fit. Marchant seemed pretty anonymous as well, Lawrence should get the start next week.

And the back three were as a whole pretty middling with Malins the only player of note, he looked decent in attack and took his tries well. Freddie was pretty poor defensively missing a few tackles that are inexcusable for a international full back and OHC didn't really make an impression on the game.
You know what ,I think that's all spot on!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Pretty accurate summary. Play Farrell at 10 next week with Lawrence in the centre with either Kelly or Slade if fit. Golden boy on the bench for when the game opens up. Cole to start with Sinckler on the bench.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Be tempted to go something like this depending on fitness
Genge
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Chessum
Ludlam
Curry
Earl
JVP
Farrell
OHC
Kelly
Lawrence
Malins
Steward
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

In the absence of more fit centres and making Farrell captain has seen Borthwick handcuff himself.

Farrell, in spite of many, many games at inside centre he almost belligerently squeezes into the fly half channel. Blunting the opportunity to attack. No decoy lines, getting in the way of Smith (just as with Ford) leaving the opposition an easy job of nullifying the outside centre. Compound that by putting Marchant there who just isn’t physical enough to play outside centre on the international stage. (Versatile wing/centre bench cover possibly but not convinced)

In defence the Smith Farrell axis is a defensive nightmare. Massive gaps between the centres too easy to expose as Scotland illustrated.

Borthwick had the chance to change captain with Genge the obvious candidate and then decide who he plays at fly half. (There are no other outstanding candidates, Itoje is a shadow of the menace he was and the rest are not automatic picks)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:14 am In the absence of more fit centres and making Farrell captain has seen Borthwick handcuff himself.

Farrell, in spite of many, many games at inside centre he almost belligerently squeezes into the fly half channel. Blunting the opportunity to attack. No decoy lines, getting in the way of Smith (just as with Ford) leaving the opposition an easy job of nullifying the outside centre. Compound that by putting Marchant there who just isn’t physical enough to play outside centre on the international stage. (Versatile wing/centre bench cover possibly but not convinced)

In defence the Smith Farrell axis is a defensive nightmare. Massive gaps between the centres too easy to expose as Scotland illustrated.

Borthwick had the chance to change captain with Genge the obvious candidate and then decide who he plays at fly half. (There are no other outstanding candidates, Itoje is a shadow of the menace he was and the rest are not automatic picks)
Snap!
“ I don’t know what Borths does. I’d be tempted to go the same team next week with just Earl in for Curry. One thing I’ll say though is that he’s made a terrible decision making Farrell captain and has boxed himself into a corner. Is that the Jones stubbornness that’s rubbed off on him? I don’t know but it’s a huge mistake,should’ve been Genge”
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I agree Curry was a disappointment, not sure but they may be twins but no longer convinced either is quite there. Playing in that Sale pack is perhaps flattering them both, they may be genetically identical but yesterday’s option lacked physicality.

Dombrandt looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights and made errors that cost us. However worth a run of games to see if he can show his Quins form. Someone has to be the next Dallaglio. Big rumbling 8s are essential but hard to find. Morgan and then Vunipola have flattered but ultimately not delivered.

Earl, loathsome as he is, might be the Neil back the team has lacked. Could that be Willis?

As ever who will fill the Richard Hill role? Quietly destructive.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:35 am I agree Curry was a disappointment, not sure but they may be twins but no longer convinced either is quite there. Playing in that Sale pack is perhaps flattering them both, they may be genetically identical but yesterday’s option lacked physicality.

Dombrandt looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights and made errors that cost us. However worth a run of games to see if he can show his Quins form. Someone has to be the next Dallaglio. Big rumbling 8s are essential but hard to find. Morgan and then Vunipola have flattered but ultimately not delivered.

Earl, loathsome as he is, might be the Neil back the team has lacked. Could that be Willis?

As ever who will fill the Richard Hill role? Quietly destructive.
Dombrandt also cut 4 beautiful lines too,unfortunately 2 didn't stick but at that pace it's very fine margins . He also won a very important turnover penalty too. But the missed tackle and the dropped restart were poor. I also don't think it's worth playing him if Smith doesn't start so id move Earl to 8. Either way he was far better than Curry who was mostly anonymous.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:01 am Be tempted to go something like this depending on fitness
Genge
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Chessum
Ludlam
Curry
Earl
JVP
Farrell
OHC
Kelly
Lawrence
Malins
Steward
Good team, feel like if you’re SB you aren’t going to want too change much. 10-12 axis just doesn’t work and needs to be changed immediately. I’d go for:

Genge George Sinckler
Ribbans Chessum
Ludlam Dombrandt Curry
JVP Farrell
Kelly Lawrence
OHC Steward Malins

Walker Mako Cole Itoje Earl Mitchell Smith Marchant

Personally I’d stick Freeman in for Malins but imagine you’d want to keep the back 3 the same. Same with the backrow. Tuilagi replaces Kelly if he isn’t fit.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rapava-Ruskin for Mako .
A2O