England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Scott1 »

I’m almost sure SB would’ve gone Farrell and Kelly for this one so he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Ludlam has played 6 for England before too and for Saints so it’s not really out of position. I like the team tbf ,and it’s a very strong bench
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

One thing Ludlam brings is energy, which is exactly what we need.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Gotta feel for SB, imagine he would’ve wanted Kelly/Slade midfield but both injured.

Like the selection. Only quibbles are would’ve had Freeman at 14. Malins needs a big game on the wing to prove he can mix it at test level. Would’ve had Ribbans off the bench too.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Just think how proud the parents of Chessum's must feel! :smt038
Ollie in the second row for England and Lewis captaining the England Under 20's on the same weekend.
Let us hope that both have a great game and are both on the winning sides. :smt023

JVP v Ben White might be exciting too, White can be quite fiery.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Predictable overload of Tigers and Saracens players and several clubs without any players in the 23 at all. This kind of imbalance should not happen, and as I have said elsewhere in this forum, league games shouldn't be happening at the same time.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

wormus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 pm Just think how proud the parents of Chessum's must feel! :smt038
Ollie in the second row for England and Lewis captaining the England Under 20's on the same weekend.
Let us hope that both have a great game and are both on the winning sides. :smt023

JVP v Ben White might be exciting too, White can be quite fiery.
Mum and Dad been on social media expressing their pride :smt023
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 am Predictable overload of Tigers and Saracens players and several clubs without any players in the 23 at all. This kind of imbalance should not happen, and as I have said elsewhere in this forum, league games shouldn't be happening at the same time.
It should clearly happen. The last two Premiership Champions, and the far and away best team in the Prem have the most representation.

The league issue is exacerbated by the fact the fixture list was decimated before Christmas. Unless the league shrinks dramatically then that won't change. Also obviously the play offs make up to an extent.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:50 am
markharbtiger wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 am Predictable overload of Tigers and Saracens players and several clubs without any players in the 23 at all. This kind of imbalance should not happen, and as I have said elsewhere in this forum, league games shouldn't be happening at the same time.
It should clearly happen. The last two Premiership Champions, and the far and away best team in the Prem have the most representation.
IMO it's a very easy way of selecting players, and I am sure there are otherwise excellent England qualified players in those club teams with zero representation. It would not matter if the 6N didn't go on for so long and league games weren't played in this period...
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

This has been covered so many times, but league games being played at the same time as internationals is ridiculous! The biggest hope around a 10 team league for me is that this might end, get rid of the rest weeks in the 6 nations too and it goes a long way to making space in the calendar.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don't seem to remember anyone moaning during our time at the top when we used to clean up at international time due to the quality of our squad!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:21 am Don't seem to remember anyone moaning during our time at the top when we used to clean up at international time due to the quality of our squad!
Oh I can almost guarantee there would have been some….. :smt004
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:21 am Don't seem to remember anyone moaning during our time at the top when we used to clean up at international time due to the quality of our squad!
That was in the early days when there was no salary cap in place. Squads with more international call ups are now handicapped by the Salary cap and cannot afford those additional players, smaller squads now.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:51 am
That was in the early days when there was no salary cap in place. Squads with more international call ups are now handicapped by the Salary cap and cannot afford those additional players, smaller squads now.
May be wrong but I am not sure that the Autumn Internationals were a thing then and you were also dealing with the 5 Nations for a long time and no rest periods for players and so losing players for 4 weeks in a season did not seem too bad compared to now where they are unavailable for nearly half the season (not sure how far back you are talking but I assumed pre professional as during the professional era I seem to mainly recall the top teams pushing for as many points as possible early on as the others would always close the gap in the international periods).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 am
Oh I can almost guarantee there would have been some….. :smt004
:smt005 :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:02 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:51 am
May be wrong but I am not sure that the Autumn Internationals were a thing then and you were also dealing with the 5 Nations for a long time and no rest periods for players and so losing players for 4 weeks in a season did not seem too bad compared to now where they are unavailable for nearly half the season (not sure how far back you are talking but I assumed pre professional as during the professional era I seem to mainly recall the top teams pushing for as many points as possible early on as the others would always close the gap in the international periods).
Yes,there were end of season internationals as far back as 2009 iirc ,maybe even earlier.