Change to tackle height laws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Change to tackle height laws

Post by Offside »

ashleytiger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:41 pm Any reduction in tackle height will further result in an increase in stoppages to the point where the game will become really really tedious. What happened to those shock resistant scrum caps they were touting around a few years back?
I bought a Gamebreaker head protector made with D3O impact absorbing foam as used in armour for my son after he fractured his skull playing rugby (collided head on head with a player he was about to tackle that ducked after fumbling a high kick off). They are sold in USA for flag football which of the junior version of American football. The first one was too big and too thick for RFU regulations and the second one he did not want to wear compared with his thinner scrum cap. Once at University, out of our influence, he stopped wearing it. I think the D3O ones have some benefit shock absorbing but are clumsy and big and will not protect from frontal face impacts. I do think they could help with some side and top of head impacts to an extent, if mandatory. If it is a choice most players will not wear them. RFU would need change their regs to allow thicker head gear. I bet they have not made it known their regs do not allow these during all this publicity!
https://gamebreaker.com/shop/gamebreake ... ts-helmet/
Wes

Post by Wes »

Does anyone know what's going on with this? The coaches at my local club (very grass roots)have had no info at all about the proposal, and it's gone very quiet at all levels.
It seems the RFU is doing it's great work again!
I only live there to wind up the population!
bendy

Post by bendy »

The RFU have sent out a survey this weekend to canvas opinion on the matter, but having read through it, it's a very biased process, effectively saying "science says a lower tackle height will reduce concussion. Do you want to reduce concusions in rugby? If so, please agree with this proposal". There was no more information on what "the science" actually was, nor what alternative measures could be introduced to reduce danger.

I presume the plan is to come back in a month or two and say "we surveyed X thousand players / coaches / officials and they overwhelmingly agreed that we are doing the right thing to reduce concussions" and just ostrich their way through players leaving the amateur game in droves.

But that may just be me being cynical.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The whole use of the word "concussion" by a regulatory body is extremely unhelpful. "Brain Injury" would be useful, as would be the use of far wider context than just suffering a "concussion". Obviously there is a huge range in severity of potential injuries, from a traditional minor head knock to, at worst, death. If they were more explicit then people might find it easier to understand that they aren't necessarily trying to eradicate "concussions" (well, brain injuries) but rather mitigate the risk of the most severe and frequent.

Ultimately the root of the problem is anyone with any authority being scared of their own shadow.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Gary Ringrose went below the navel and wished he hadn't.
Hope he's OK and looked after correctly.