Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:21 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:16 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:57 am Worcester Ladies have been offered a place in the Super 15s for next season
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64486901
They are now completely separate from the former club I think? Owned by the University essentially?
True but what agreement they have to use sixways may well add some level of security to the ground.
Yes, potentially, as long as the new owners don't turf them out at any point in the future.

I see the interim owners, Cube International, took them on permanently last month, provided they still had a Premier 15s franchise.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
bendy

Post by bendy »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:52 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:31 am
Lets hope things work out well for them, its taken a long time and now they can hopefully start rebuilding a competitive squad, at whatever level they are allowed to play. Good luck.
Let's put this in context onto this. This is no further down the line, rugby wise. The administrators have a duty to sell the club to assist the club's creditors as best they can. That is all this is. Rugby has nothing to do with this deal - that is not the job of the administrator.

I have a horrible feeling that the community intentions alleged by the consortium may be more focussed on extracting value from the clubs assets and land. Otherwise why have they allegedly not been open with the RFU and fulfilled the criteria for rejoining the Championship, rather than apparently being very cloak and dagger about their funding sources.

I hate to say it, but this could be the final nail in the coffin of pro-rugby at Worcester.
Sadly I have to agree. This has all the indications of being a land grab and in 2 weeks time I see the RFU conditions having not been met, lots of protestations about them being unreasonable, a demotion to the bottom of the pile, confirmation that it is then not financially viable to run the club and finally the selling off of the ground and assets for development. Would be incredibly sad but that is how i see it panning out.

I think you boys called this one right:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64502475
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So Stourbridge will play N2 at Sixways next season...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:17 am So Stourbridge will play N2 at Sixways next season...
Not sure, all seems a bit muddled on social media at the moment. Some mention of the development of the Sixways site. Not sure how you can play a N2 match at Sixways at anything other than a massive loss based on the cost of running the stadium.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.stourbridgerugby.com/news/p ... 59907.html

Stourbridge rfc have put out a statement
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:42 am https://www.stourbridgerugby.com/news/p ... 59907.html

Stourbridge rfc have put out a statement
OK so there is no formal agreement yet and it would basically mean Atlas funding Stourbridge (sixways rugby). Sounds like Stourbridge will stay playing where they are and I suspect Sixways will be re-developed. Basically the consortium throw some money at a local club until the fuss dies down, they get what they want and develop the Sixways site and I suspect they then pocket the money and rapidly withdraw from their investment in Stourbridge. Land grabbed, money taken, Worcester gone and, I suspect, Stourbridge left in the lurch.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Sad day.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

All while the RFU sticks its head in the sand....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LtPigeon
Tiger Cub

Post by LtPigeon »

Apparently DCMS & RFU are looking to block the sale to Atlas

https://www.cityam.com/dcms-and-rfu-in- ... -to-atlas/
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:03 pm All while the RFU sticks its head in the sand....
I'm not sure the RFU are doing anything of the sort. They've requested information and guarantees from Worcester's new owners and not yet received them and, given the statements today, Worcester's new owners were not willing to engage and provide them either by the deadline. Presumably there is a reason for this.

I can't help thinking that the plan is to buy Stourbridge's league position, within a year or three state that rugby in unviable at Sixways (unless a tenant, probably Wasps, moves in) and then the whole of the site is available for other uses. Why would apparent American investor invest in a broken, bust business that was struggling in a sport where every single business is failing or struggling to turn even a tiny profit. It would be the worst investment ever. Almost.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LtPigeon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:12 pm Apparently DCMS & RFU are looking to block the sale to Atlas

https://www.cityam.com/dcms-and-rfu-in- ... -to-atlas/
Because they think they know exactly what's coming perhaps?

Sadly as far as the administrators are concerned, rugby is irrelevant.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also, Wasps to play at Sixways as tennants, while Stourbridge aka "Sixways rugby" work their way up the leagues....

Let's note Stourbridge currently bottom of the league and at risk of dropping out of the national leagues... a mess if ever I saw one

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ridge-rfc/
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:41 pm Also, Wasps to play at Sixways as tennants, while Stourbridge aka "Sixways rugby" work their way up the leagues....

Let's note Stourbridge currently bottom of the league and at risk of dropping out of the national leagues... a mess if ever I saw one

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ridge-rfc/
Interesting that the statement from Atlas didn't mention Wasps.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Sounds pretty much like 'Worcester' buying Stourbridge's place in the league, dressed up as some kind of 'Black Country joint venture'.