Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:27 am Saw that he had resigned "for personal reasons" but can't find any rumours about us. He will obviously be in the mix if he is looking for another job but would still rather have Townsend
First few tweets I saw this morning...

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... IC55Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/spkeene/status/1621 ... iJZCw&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:07 am Vern Cotter has just left Fiji, there seems to be a lot of rumours about us
Cotter was the first name I had thought of to replace SB.
If his name is in the hat, it'd be a good choice.
Semper in excretia
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

If, and this is a big if, the club were considering and appointment this season then now would be the ideal time. Basically 3 weeks to get the players training how he wants, basically a mini pre season.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

For what it's worth, I reckon there's some serious legs in the Cotter to Leicester rumour. He would tick a lot of the right boxes and would be able to get in pretty quickly. Plus we would get a whole pre-season out of him which was a weakness for Gregor. If it is Cotter, like the other candidates, his coaching team would be interesting to see the make up. Parling & Wisemantel are available currently and would be cracking forwards and attack coaches.

As an aside, I got told yesterday, it was highly likely that Wiggy would not get the job. We also said on the Rolling Maul a few weeks back that Dab McFarland was interviewed for the job.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:47 am For what it's worth, I reckon there's some serious legs in the Cotter to Leicester rumour. He would tick a lot of the right boxes and would be able to get in pretty quickly. Plus we would get a whole pre-season out of him which was a weakness for Gregor. If it is Cotter, like the other candidates, his coaching team would be interesting to see the make up. Parling & Wisemantel are available currently and would be cracking forwards and attack coaches.
Cotter, Parling and Wisemantel would be IMHO a superb combination. If we can get them onboarded in the next few weeks ( :smt040 wish), then all the better. Tigers need a good experienced Head Coach at the moment, I believe.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Geoff Parling. Good shout. He's in Aus or Japan now, isn't he?
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:47 am For what it's worth, I reckon there's some serious legs in the Cotter to Leicester rumour. He would tick a lot of the right boxes and would be able to get in pretty quickly. Plus we would get a whole pre-season out of him which was a weakness for Gregor. If it is Cotter, like the other candidates, his coaching team would be interesting to see the make up. Parling & Wisemantel are available currently and would be cracking forwards and attack coaches.

As an aside, I got told yesterday, it was highly likely that Wiggy would not get the job. We also said on the Rolling Maul a few weeks back that Dab McFarland was interviewed for the job.
+1 for Parling and Wisemantel.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Is Gibson staying with Fiji?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Scot Robertson for me please
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:45 pm Scot Robertson for me please
And me! Imagine....
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm
And me! Imagine....
In a dream world we might stand a chance. He's going to get an international job os some description almost undoubtedly. Rumours were he was ready to step in for the ABs before Schmidt took a more prominent role and Foster clung on. Even had sounded out his preferred assistants. Scotland will give him the HC job there if the ABs don't.

Wisemantel is also wishful thinking, he left Australia to spend more time with his family and not to fly half way round the world.

Parking could be a good option but seems settled in Australia and likes his surfing.

Cotter, Townsend, MacFarland and McDonald have all been linked so far and all have tended towards mobile and physical teams with an abrasive edge. I wouldn't be surprised if Rennie has been contacted also. I'm happy with those type of coaches being linked, they are the kind of coach that should suit us.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:35 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm
And me! Imagine....
In a dream world we might stand a chance. He's going to get an international job os some description almost undoubtedly. Rumours were he was ready to step in for the ABs before Schmidt took a more prominent role and Foster clung on. Even had sounded out his preferred assistants. Scotland will give him the HC job there if the ABs don't.

Wisemantel is also wishful thinking, he left Australia to spend more time with his family and not to fly half way round the world.

Parking could be a good option but seems settled in Australia and likes his surfing.

Cotter, Townsend, MacFarland and McDonald have all been linked so far and all have tended towards mobile and physical teams with an abrasive edge. I wouldn't be surprised if Rennie has been contacted also. I'm happy with those type of coaches being linked, they are the kind of coach that should suit us.
If you are Looking for Parking, you could get 30% off. :smt005
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Is Matt Smith working with England U20's too? He was at the shirt presentation for tonight's game wearing a U20's Hoodie
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I'm not trying to stir the pot but went to a party last night and through a friend of a friend, got talking to an ex pro who played for Ealing. Let's just say he was less than complimentary about WWs coaching. A lot of shouting and that's about it, was the general gist.

Hoping someone more established might be on the way.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:15 am
PJM wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 pm I have everything crossed its notTownsend :smt013
Why so?
Sorry only just seen this. As far as I recollect he has only ever been in play offs, never a winner as a club coach. 62% win rate with Glasgow, moving on in France when playing, because teams were not successful, and that is reflected throughout his career.

Wiki has a run down of the stats.