Samurai

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Samurai

Post by jgriffin »

I have Samurai gear that has held up well since their early days, although the hoodies have got thinner material than the early ones.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:58 pm
wormus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:28 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:04 am I much prefer Samurai to anyone else we've had since Cotton Traders. Canterbury gave us those awful bib style shirts, don't want them back.
I have no problem with Samurai products they are really well made considering other recent makes.
But I do still love Cotton Traders for their flexibility in expanding beyond their stated size to accommodate my figure!
More so the Caterpillar and Bradstone ones but the Vauxhall one has reached the limit of those distant parts after all these years.
Yes Chris and the Board made a good choice with the fledgling Samurai brand. :smt023
Their CEO is a Tigers fan and was happy to lose the other clubs to get Tigers on board
Was a Tigers fan. Samurai are now solely controlled by an Italian investor it seems. A bit of an Italian takeover given the number of Macron supplied teams.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:04 am I much prefer Samurai to anyone else we've had since Cotton Traders. Canterbury gave us those awful bib style shirts, don't want them back.
Sam they also gave us the Black tiger stripe euro shirt which is one of the best Tigers have ever had.
i would love to have seen adidas have a punt.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Were Canterbury and Kukri not different trading names of the same brand?
Name change when the fans were dissatisfied and not buying the product.

The Cotton Traders were a quantum leap ahead in terms of quality.

To be fare the current stuff has improved.
However the branding/logo on some is not great. The nondescript T on the caps doesn’t indicate Tigers to me. Just a letter that could mean the same could be sold to any team/club starting with a T.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am Were Canterbury and Kukri not different trading names of the same brand?

However the branding/logo on some is not great. The nondescript T on the caps doesn’t indicate Tigers to me. Just a letter that could mean the same could be sold to any team/club starting with a T.
I think it was Kooga and Kukri
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Out of interest, does anyone know how kit deals work in professional rugby. Do we approach the manufacturer and pay them or is it more like football where at the higher levels the manufacturers approach the clubs and either pay or provide kit to be the offical supplier.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

PeteK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:13 am
Sam they also gave us the Black tiger stripe euro shirt which is one of the best Tigers have ever had.
Canterbury also gave us the amazing Orange change shirt that is unversally hated on here. Once I shed a few kgs hopefully I'll fit into mine again this summer!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Still wish I could get a cycling jersey in club colours.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:54 am Still wish I could get a cycling jersey in club colours.
Me too! Although as per my previous post, I haven't been on the road bike for a while and do need to lose a bit of gut before I squeeze myself back into my lycra....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:58 am
MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:54 am Still wish I could get a cycling jersey in club colours.
Me too! Although as per my previous post, I haven't been on the road bike for a while and do need to lose a bit of gut before I squeeze myself back into my lycra....
Yes, even if it was a limited run thing I suspect they'd sell quite well.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:15 pm
ads wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:58 am
Yes, even if it was a limited run thing I suspect they'd sell quite well.
I’d certainly wear one more than a match day shirt.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:24 am
mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:14 am Were Canterbury and Kukri not different trading names of the same brand?

I think it was Kooga and Kukri

Indeed.

IIRC we moved to Kooga from Canterbury when Fanatics acquired Kitbag around 2015/6. Canterbury being owned by a competing retailer’s parent company - Pentland, owners of JD Sports - probably wasn't particularly palatable to an American company entering the UK market.

I'm not entirely sure of the Kooga/Kukri relationship (Kooga is particularly complex as the Australian arm of it split of to be BLK). It was notable that some of the kit patterns were completely identical (recognise the cut of the shire Lobbe is wearing here - yep, it's identical to our first Kukri kit!). Same factory, different name!
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Oooooooh!

I wonder what next seasons kit will look like!!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Grannyman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 pm Oooooooh!

I wonder what next seasons kit will look like!!!
Spoiler alert.

Green
Red
White :smt003
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:20 am
PeteK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:13 am
Canterbury also gave us the amazing Orange change shirt that is unversally hated on here. Once I shed a few kgs hopefully I'll fit into mine again this summer!
Im in the same boat, i liked the orange shirt and yes once if done the same as you ill be wearing mine too.