Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:51 pm I think even the happiest of clappers are gonna struggle with this one! And it’s not a one off,I hope I wake up tomorrow and the season is over,WW has gone and we have a world class coaching team in!
It fear it will not happen and we are going to be welded to WW as we were to Murphy.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:51 pm Seen it on Twitter - he was holding his leg by the ankle but there is nothing more than that unless you want to invent something to fit a narrative.

I imagine there was something in it but it’s not clear on the footage I’ve seen
It was Austin providing TMO/Commentary
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:53 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:51 pm Seen it on Twitter - he was holding his leg by the ankle but there is nothing more than that unless you want to invent something to fit a narrative.

It was Austin providing TMO/Commentary
Healey being the TMO all match as per
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Sarries sneak the win. Last year we did too. This year we sneak the loss. It is about making the marginal decisions, being pragmatic and playing like you have something to prove. We won last year and are playing like we expect to win this year. It seems we are going through a boring play book rather than playing what is in front of us. Pollard showed some creativity and kept the ball. Freddie did too but by kicking it away. Ruck was slow and Edwards showed he needs more game time but playing like that he is likely to not get it. Having said that the replacement was worse. Tigers need to get their act together in the next few weeks.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:43 pm The worrying thing is that it looks like the club have decided WW is their man!
How do you work that out ?
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

By its very nature constant box-kicking is a lottery in which the odds are against the kicker. By definition you start the move with the ball in your possession. By the time the ball comes down your chances of retrieving it are less than 50:50 - your player has to run from an onside position while the receiver is already in position. Lousy odds but Tigers seem to have few other options.
Ancient Mariner
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Offside wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:57 pm Sarries sneak the win. Last year we did too. This year we sneak the loss. It is about making the marginal decisions, being pragmatic and playing like you have something to prove. We won last year and are playing like we expect to win this year. It seems we are going through a boring play book rather than playing what is in front of us. Pollard showed some creativity and kept the ball. Freddie did too but by kicking it away. Ruck was slow and Edwards showed he needs more game time but playing like that he is likely to not get it. Having said that the replacement was worse. Tigers need to get their act together in the next few weeks.
Edwards passing was spot on, in front of the catcher at the right height pretty much every time. His box kicks were either contestable or we took were able to take man and ball, Saints couldn't launch their normal lethal counter attacks from his box kicks like they normally do. He stopped breaks that could have been tries on two occasions, one of those whilst hobbling.

Yes he needs to speed up delivery from the base but he's 20 and on his Prem debut. We've given him no minutes before this game and he's played with two flyhalfs he's never played with before. He'll get better with more opportunities and experience, I think he showed enough to earn it with Whitely having a howler on debut.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

This wasn't about marginal decisions.

What was our game plan aside from Pollard doing a cross kick? Burns, last game or not, was woeful.

This was a side devoid of a strategy on how to win.
Forwards bosh up one on one and recycle slowly. Take the ball standing and get stopped on the gain line. Repeat and then hoof it back to them.

The centres didn't see the ball. The scrum half and fly half just hoofed it back to them in the hope they might drop it! All well and good sending Watson to chase the kicks and try and tap back but that was so easily countered because no one else was within a mile of receiving the tap back.

Clearly this is a task beyond Wigglesworth alone and we should get someone to advise in the short term.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:43 pm The worrying thing is that it looks like the club have decided WW is their man!
"Looks like",which means it's open to interpretation. Do keep up Westy
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:34 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:27 pm Twisting Wallers leg perhaps?
That would deserve a long ban?!!
Didn't see it,it was the only incident I can recall with Weise tbh. He looked OK to me
Seen a clip of it, literally just completing a tackle. Saints fans trying to smear Wiese is no surprise. They always try it.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Sadly what ever was working last year has been found out

Our line out regularly malfunctions and we seem to lack dynamism

I actually think we looked like we needed to kick more as when we passed we had no penetration

We definitely struggled at scrum half and in the front of the pack

We didn’t deserve to win

My worry is that this is what was happening under Steve; his plan either has been worked out or were lacking Genge and Ford to make it work.

There are positives and it’s not all doom
And gloom but we are no where near top 2 quality
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:15 pm
But you clearly think they have decided….otherwise why post it…..Scotty.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

It's just typical stirring from Healey it seems. I don't bother to watch any neutral matches any more as he just stirs and doesn't commentate on what is happening, he says the most controversial possible version then swears blind it is what is happening. Many lemmings on line swallow this unfortunately.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:17 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:15 pm

But you clearly think they have decided….otherwise why post it…..Scotty.
"Looks like" I repeat again
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Knightonian wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 pm
There are positives and it’s not all doom
And gloom but we are no where near top 2 quality

We are nowhere near top 4 let alone top 2 despite the positives so it's not all doom and gloom