Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Rugbygramps »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:30 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:29 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:36 am

Not unusual for some of these big Boks lads from the likes of Greys and Paul Roos to move around. Just seen an article from May 22 asking if he was the best u18 player in the world.
Miell comes from one of the best rugby schools in the world. Just watch the atmosphere at the start of this game vs Bishops- https://youtu.be/gA_6hUyHUpM

He was on the bench for the game. He will be used to a very competitive environment.
If he is being muted as the best U18 in the world, why is he on the bench :smt017
Without knowing the full context of the game you just can’t say. Montoya is one of the best hookers in the world but is on the bench tomorrow following injury. Also they have a full 23 man squad and are as likely as not at that age using rolling subs.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:32 am Tom West signed for rest of season .
Good sign for getting him long term, difference between rest of season and short term
He’s signed for Ealing for next year. (Allegedly- last I heard he had signed for them for this year as well :smt003 )

On a side note I’m absolutely over the moon. I’ve known Westy for some years since he was on loan from Wasps’ senior Academy to Nottingham where I sponsored him for two seasons.
Brilliant player and a nice guy.
I shall definitely be making more of an effort to get to matches now! :smt050
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TheChild wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:40 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:32 am Tom West signed for rest of season .
Good sign for getting him long term, difference between rest of season and short term
He’s signed for Ealing for next year. (Allegedly- last I heard he had signed for them for this year as well :smt003 )

On a side note I’m absolutely over the moon. I’ve known Westy for some years since he was on loan from Wasps’ senior Academy to Nottingham where I sponsored him for two seasons.
Brilliant player and a nice guy.
I shall definitely be making more of an effort to get to matches now! :smt050
I suspect Tom West had a clause in his contract where he could move to a Prem club of the offer arose. Be a blow for Ealing as West would be more than a match for nearly every Championship tighthead.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It certainly looks like the signing of Miell is a great bet for the future. He certainly looks a big unit at 18 and lets hope we can develop him into the world class player some people say he could be.
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... uary-2023/
Hehehehehehehehe
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

We signed Phil Cokanasiga as a promising young centre from LI where he often started or came off the bench for them. Since joining Tigers he has gone from starting then to the bench. He then disappears off the team sheet and is now starting for Nottingham. What has happened to him?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:42 pm We signed Phil Cokanasiga as a promising young centre from LI where he often started or came off the bench for them. Since joining Tigers he has gone from starting then to the bench. He then disappears off the team sheet and is now starting for Nottingham. What has happened to him?

Last season started TWICE for London Irish, both times in the PRC. His other three appearances for London Irish were off the bench, two of them were in the PRC. He literally had 19min of Premiership rugby last year. He's played 161min for us in the Prem.

I suspect he's loaned out to Nottingham to give him gametime before we lose Kelly to England and to ensure he's match sharp if/when we need.

To say he was a regular at LI is wrong though.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:42 pm We signed Phil Cokanasiga as a promising young centre from LI where he often started or came off the bench for them. Since joining Tigers he has gone from starting then to the bench. He then disappears off the team sheet and is now starting for Nottingham. What has happened to him?
Recall that he was wearing a boot back in August so am guessing that he is returning from injury and being given some game time with Nottingham as part of the rehab,
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:55 pm
Recall that he was wearing a boot back in August so am guessing that he is returning from injury and being given some game time with Nottingham as part of the rehab,
But he’s played since then Tigerbeat. Just think with the return to fitness of Kelly he has dropped a little down the pecking order, and due to limited opportunities needs some game time.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:32 pm

Miell comes from one of the best rugby schools in the world. Just watch the atmosphere at the start of this game vs Bishops- https://youtu.be/gA_6hUyHUpM

He was on the bench for the game. He will be used to a very competitive environment.
If he is being muted as the best U18 in the world, why is he on the bench :smt017
Without knowing the full context of the game you just can’t say. Montoya is one of the best hookers in the world but is on the bench tomorrow following injury. Also they have a full 23 man squad and are as likely as not at that age using rolling subs.
As he plays 2nd row and all across the back row his versatility makes him ideal to have on the bench
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:32 pm

Montoya is THE best! Although ask me tomorrow and I might say Marx
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Early release for Freddie Burns !! Off to Super rugby.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Burns gone early. We must be happy with Atkinson then!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:02 pm Burns gone early. We must be happy with Atkinson then!
Odd one that!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also probably a suggestion our injury issues at fullback are ending... OR this gives us cap to bring more in
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:02 pm Burns gone early. We must be happy with Atkinson then!
Departure date to be confirmed in the coming days
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk