Eddie Jones appointed Head Coach for Australia!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Re: Eddie Jones appointed Head Coach for Australia!

Post by Louis »

ads wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:44 am We famously beat an Eddie Jones Australia once before!!
Correct! And long may this continue.

God imagine the look on his grumpy little boat if THAT happens.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Louis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:14 pm Wait. Are people SERIOUSLY making the suggestion that Eddie Jones was trying to disrupt England during his tenure? That he was some species of double agent, working from the inside to harm English rugby and his rapid recruitment in )z somehow proves this?

I mean, I've been high. I've been reaaaaaaal high. I've never been "Eddie Jones was a plant" high.

Come on lads and lasses, this is the humour, no? It's one of those things that translates poorly in text. You are making the fun with me. Ha ha it is to be laughing.
I do agree he totally expected to be in charge of England at RWC. The error again sits with the RFU who did not include in his severance package a clause prohibiting him from coaching another nation for 6 months.

As for Australia they just wanted rid of the kiwi bloke
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I do not care whether Jones manages Austrailia or any other team at the world cup. My only concern would be if we paid out the full compensation on his contract without the abitlity to recoup some or all of it if he took another international job before the contract formally ended. If that was not agreed, he should have gone on Garden Leave until after the world cup.

If that is the case and we have paid in full with EJ free to take any job he likes, that is when people's jobs should be in question as that is just poor business management irrespecive of any rugby implications.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The RFU giving the BBBOC a run for its money for the title of worlds worse sports governing body!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Plant? More like an allotment!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Surprised the pay off didn’t prevent taking an international post this side of the World Cup. Perhaps there wasn’t a pay off when they sacked him.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

They can’t have a non compete clause if they want him gone from his contract early.

One thing if Eddie resigned but if RFU wanted him out they had to pay him regardless.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:24 pm They can’t have a non compete clause if they want him gone from his contract early.

One thing if Eddie resigned but if RFU wanted him out they had to pay him regardless.
This is what I thought as well. Non-compete when you sack someone generally seems odd to me.

Also he won’t know the inner workings of England’s plan because Borthwick is definitely going to have his own plan and not just continue with Eddie’s.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Telegraph reporting that Jones was in negotiation with Aus rugby 14 months ago! Puts his allegiance to England in some doubt. I have a descriptive word for him but it will be censored out so I won't bother.
Give blood, play rugby!!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

SthrnTiger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:42 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:24 pm They can’t have a non compete clause if they want him gone from his contract early.

This is what I thought as well. Non-compete when you sack someone generally seems odd to me.

Also he won’t know the inner workings of England’s plan because Borthwick is definitely going to have his own plan and not just continue with Eddie’s.
I agree with that but a non compete would not be appropriate in relation to a sacking. What would have been appropriate would be to simply keep EJ employed for the duration of his contract and send him on garden leave thus preventing any further employment whilst he was paid under the contract. If he wanted to work for another team, we end the contract and end the payments to him. At present we have the worst of both worlds in that we have paid him in full it seems, he has a new job and it is in direct opposition to England.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Impossible to comment without reading his contract, and the details of his termination, surely?

It's odd that it seems most of the people outraged that he could join Australia are the same people who think he's not a good coach anyway, surely you should be happy he's gone there and will inevitably make them worse?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:09 am Impossible to comment without reading his contract, and the details of his termination, surely?

It's odd that it seems most of the people outraged that he could join Australia are the same people who think he's not a good coach anyway, surely you should be happy he's gone there and will inevitably make them worse?
From my point of view, I am not outraged that EJ is coaching Australia or anyone else, my issue is if we have paid out his contract in full without any clause to reduce or cease payments if he goes into a new job.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:26 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:09 am Impossible to comment without reading his contract, and the details of his termination, surely?

From my point of view, I am not outraged that EJ is coaching Australia or anyone else, my issue is if we have paid out his contract in full without any clause to reduce or cease payments if he goes into a new job.
Do we know if he was paid in full? Or if there is a clause to reduce or cease payments?

Unless those sort of things are in his contract, then I believe it becomes a bit of a negotiation as to the terms of termination.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:30 am
GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:26 am

Do we know if he was paid in full? Or if there is a clause to reduce or cease payments?

Unless those sort of things are in his contract, then I believe it becomes a bit of a negotiation as to the terms of termination.
Indeed, this is all total speculation at present and if it is all covered by non disclosures then we will never know. At the moment though, the RFU look like they have been suckered even if that is not the case.

You are correct in that it is all very much a negotiation if not spelled out in the contract. What we had though is the option to simply put EJ on garden leave until after the world cup and the end of the contract if a reduction in total payment could not be agreed.

As I said, probably all under non disclosure agreements but the RFU do not appear to have come out on the winning side of this even if that is not the case.

That said, I would be intrigued if there were clauses in the contract relating to entering into talks with other teams during the contract term bearing in mind the revelations of the last 24 hours.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

You can't legally prevent an employee from talking to other potential employers if they are working their notice. If you have a fixed term contract, is it therefore possible to prevent the employee from talking to potential employers about prospective roles that would begin after the end of your fixed contract? Don't know the answer to that one.

It sounds like Aus were probably talking to Eddie about taking over there after RWC, when it was already pretty much set in stone that he would leave England with SB to take over. The RFU sacking Eddie has just given Aus the option of acting earlier, or perhaps forced them to otherwise risk Eddie finding a different role in the meantime and not being available post RWC.

Media stirring it up for clicks, particularly with the stuff about Eddie saying that he won't speak to England administration if he sees them at the RWC. Of course he'd say that to the Aussie press, he needs to appear 100% committed to them with no lingering fondness for England.