Eddie Jones appointed Head Coach for Australia!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Eddie Jones appointed Head Coach for Australia!

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... nie-sacked

“Eddie’s deep understanding of our rugby system and knowledge of our player group and pathways will lift the team to the next level."

And his knowledge of England won't hurt either

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ralia.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64285827

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... lia-coach/

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... nie-sacked
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Eddie Jones appointed Head Coach for Australia!

Post by RagingBull »

If we haven’t hired a coach Dave tennis would be perfect
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Reckon Sweeny's job may be on the line in the World Cup Quarter finals if Eng meet Aus...

No way should the RFU not have had some sort of gardening leave/clause as they got rid of him not to be involved in any other World Cup setup this year.

Seems they took a cheaper option and now Bill Sweeny will probably have his job dependent on England not losing to Australia in the World Cup.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I'm wondering if the RFU now regrets having sacked Jones?
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:34 am Reckon Sweeny's job may be on the line in the World Cup Quarter finals if Eng meet Aus...

No way should the RFU not have had some sort of gardening leave/clause as they got rid of him not to be involved in any other World Cup setup this year.

Seems they took a cheaper option and now Bill Sweeny will probably have his job dependent on England not losing to Australia in the World Cup.
It should be, how this was allowed to happen is beggars belief, from bottling it at the end with Jones, to having to fork out for Borthwick and his new staff, then only to have the guy you got rid of become one of your main competitors who you are likely to meet in the knockouts is sheer incompetence.

I did always think Eddie would get another go with Aus but I thought it would be after the WC, I guess they have more faith in him than the RFU did.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jones must be splitting his sides on his way to the bank.
Semper in excretia
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Clever move by the Aussies
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The sacking of Jones may not have happened if it were not for the fans venting anger and putting pressure on the RFU........what were they expected to do with the fans unhappy and not wanting to continue with the Jones set up. The RFU took the decision and Jones has become a free person to take up another position.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

We famously beat an Eddie Jones Australia once before!!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Did Dave Rennie work with Danny Wilson during his time at Glasgow?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

As I said on other thread .. Dave Rennie now available and did very well with Glasgow .. so would be worth Tigers looking at him
Wilson was less successful in that role than Franco Smith ..
Wilson not that successful at Cardiff!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

This was always going to be, Skippy didn't quite finish his job of making sure England fail at the World Cup, but he did enough to cause a lot of disruption to make us further back than we should be with our resources. He hasn't inherited a cup winning side and will already have a list of excuses as to why Australia will fail........................again under his leadership.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:22 am This was always going to be, Skippy didn't quite finish his job of making sure England fail at the World Cup, but he did enough to cause a lot of disruption to make us further back than we should be with our resources. He hasn't inherited a cup winning side and will already have a list of excuses as to why Australia will fail........................again under his leadership.
It doesn’t smell right EJ walking back into the Aussie job, i definitely think his heart wasn’t with England at the end and the conspiring to not play players who were inform and deserved the opportunity has certainly stalled Englands progress and World Cup plans. Borthwick is now going to have to bed in the youngsters with little or no time before the World Cup. Thank god EJ is no longer part of English rugby!!
Louis

Post by Louis »

I am an England rugby fan through and through, and as a Leicester Tigers fan I hope Steve Borthwick's (formerly of this parish) team wins every thing ahead of it.

A little, evil, bit of me does, however, think Eddie Jones at the helm of Australia winning lots would be funny.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Wait. Are people SERIOUSLY making the suggestion that Eddie Jones was trying to disrupt England during his tenure? That he was some species of double agent, working from the inside to harm English rugby and his rapid recruitment in Oz somehow proves this?

I mean, I've been high. I've been reaaaaaaal high. I've never been "Eddie Jones was a plant" high.

Come on lads and lasses, this is the humour, no? It's one of those things that translates poorly in text. You are making the fun with me. Ha ha it is to be laughing.
Last edited by Louis on Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.