LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersunited

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Tigersunited »

Interesting, I have it from a v good source that Townsend def not coming……
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:50 pm Interesting, I have it from a v good source that Townsend def not coming……
The plot thickens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I could well be wrong tbh.
But from what I heard France want to and keep their coaching staff very much top 14 coaches focused, and don't want more than 1 from outside the top 14 coaching system. I think since they tend to know the players better, hence why Toulon's DOR is
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:48 pm If Townsend won the RWC I feel like the SRU couldn't afford him anyway.
If Townsend won the RWC I’d feel like buying a strong umbrella to protect me from the flying pigs!!!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

loretta wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:48 pm If Townsend won the RWC I feel like the SRU couldn't afford him anyway.
If Townsend won the RWC I’d feel like buying a strong umbrella to protect me from the flying pigs!!!
:smt043 :smt043 :smt038 :smt038 :smt046
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

loretta wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 pm
Wheres that tumbleweed gif when you need it :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If we are giving Wiggy a chance to state his case for the job we we would cannot possibly announce or leak who else we are considering until either Wiggy is released or confirmed in the job. I also question the sense of bringing in on a short term.basis (if rumours are true) Wilson who we know will be working with Quins next season. Why not just give him a list of our lineout calls and our players strengths and weaknesses.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:58 pm I also question the sense of bringing in on a short term.basis (if rumours are true) Wilson who we know will be working with Quins next season. Why not just give him a list of our lineout calls and our players strengths and weaknesses.
Maybe because we need help with parts of the coaching set up now? That is far more important for continuity than worrying about lineout calls!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:04 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:58 pm I also question the sense of bringing in on a short term.basis (if rumours are true) Wilson who we know will be working with Quins next season. Why not just give him a list of our lineout calls and our players strengths and weaknesses.
Maybe because we need help with parts of the coaching set up now? That is far more important for continuity than worrying about lineout calls!
Line out calls change every year and can be changed, we can’t not bring someone because of that worry.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:04 pm
Given the amount of analysis these days you expect any competent set up to be able to target the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition players.

There might also be a number of changes when the new head coach comes in so prior information about calls and tactics may be irrelevant.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Gregor would be a huge signing, I hope it's true.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sam you are assuming a new head coach is coming in. Wiggy is in situ and may get the job. Our line-out works OK when the throw and the choreography are right, I would think Wigglesworth and Deacon are fully aware of how Borthwick played that part of the game, someone else coming in now is bound to change things or why is he there, I see no point if he is not even being thought of as part of the future.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

There's been a bit of discussion about Simmons as a 9 on the forum. During his time at Jersey he played roughly half his time split between wing and fullback in the league.

He appeared at 9 only for 24min in a Championship Cup game & one preseason game.

https://twitter.com/JerseyRedsRugby/sta ... SFgZA&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:49 am Sam you are assuming a new head coach is coming in. Wiggy is in situ and may get the job. Our line-out works OK when the throw and the choreography are right, I would think Wigglesworth and Deacon are fully aware of how Borthwick played that part of the game, someone else coming in now is bound to change things or why is he there, I see no point if he is not even being thought of as part of the future.
If Wigglesworth gets the job I'd be surprised if another coach didn't come in with a remit to look at the lineout. Having observed Borthwick isn't going to be the same as being able to replicate it. I think Wigglesworth has already noted we're two coaches (and a lot of experience) down so if he does get the top job full time I'd expect an experienced assistant coach or two to come in.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We hired Matt Everard just before K.S and S.B left. We may well re think our coaching staff and add to it long term to suit whoever takes over the Head Coach role. I just question the wisdom of recruiting on a temporary basis someone already contracted to be at Quins next season.