Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by No6_Flanker »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:22 pm Wishful haha
With his brother moving back to the Uk makes me more hopeful I guess, especially since he wouldn’t fit with Sarries I don’t think
Martin and Willis on the flanks, don’t think there’s many better combinations!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:25 pm
With his brother moving back to the Uk makes me more hopeful I guess, especially since he wouldn’t fit with Sarries I don’t think
Guess it all depends on the Tommy situation..... :smt017
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:32 pm
I, like all of us I guess, really want to know what the hell is going on there. I very much hope he's not got to go back and play in Wales!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:33 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:32 pm

I, like all of us I guess, really want to know what the hell is going on there. I very much hope he's not got to go back and play in Wales!
For him not to go back to Wales 2 things need to happen…He signs a huge contract with us or he starts to play a lot worse than he did last night because he just shown a huge cross between spotlight and lighthouse light on himself with that world class performance..
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Still not sure Gatland starts him,even after that and many more superb performances. And it's a risk for Tommy to go back to Wales on the strength of a promise,look what's happened to players before!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:49 pm Still not sure Gatland starts him,even after that and many more superb performances. And it's a risk for Tommy to go back to Wales on the strength of a promise,look what's happened to players before!
...Jonah Holmes :smt017
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:31 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:15 pm Heard Gregor is done deal
If true, when does he come in ? Is another who won’t get a full pre-season until summer 2024 because of the RWC ?
Assume it will be after the RWC ,maybe he gets his team in earlier. Who's with him at Scotland?
If it is a done deal it has all concluded very quickly. It was only in the last week Andrea was saying they had their list, of which WW was one, and were working through the process. Seems very quick to have concluded.
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scuttle wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:05 pm

If true, when does he come in ? Is another who won’t get a full pre-season until summer 2024 because of the RWC ?
Assume it will be after the RWC ,maybe he gets his team in earlier. Who's with him at Scotland?
If it is a done deal it has all concluded very quickly. It was only in the last week Andrea was saying they had their list, of which WW was one, and were working through the process. Seems very quick to have concluded.
Same feelings here
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok so I made a stab at this last year and there were a few mods along the way.

This is my guesses as to leaving (may have missed a couple of extensions etc so do correct any errors). Senior Squad only

Confirmed leaving:
Nobody yet

Likely leaving:
Hosea Saumaki
Chris Ashton (retiring)
Freddie Burns
Joe Taufete'e

50:50 leaving:
Tommy Reffell
Francois Van Wyk
Sam Wolstenholme
Anthony Watson
Eli Snyman
Nephi Leatigaga

Possibly leaving, but unlikely:
Cam Henderson
Charlie Clare
Dan Kelly
Jasper Wiese
Jimmy Gopperth (retiring to coach)

Obviously Wiese and Kelly are rumoured to have signed extensions but till they're announced we cant take it for granted Henderson also probably in the last year of his contract
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scuttle wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:05 pm

They might well have had their list and had them in order of preference. You then start at the top and work down. If the guy at the top gives assent to wanting to work within the terms you are offering then it can largely be done. However, Andrea isn't going to be able to announce that until all the lawyers have done their thing and the small print has been agreed. The verbal agreement might well have been quick (relatively speaking), the written agreement might take a while longer.

Andrea might have said the list because discussions were only starting last week. Gregor is also unlikely to want confirmation of him joining Tigers to come out just before the 6N. Much more likely to be announced on the conclusion of the Championship.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

While unlikely what if Scotland go on a miracle run at the WC, would Townsend stay on for them for another WC cycle?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:29 pm While unlikely what if Scotland go on a miracle run at the WC, would Townsend stay on for them for another WC cycle?
Doubt it,The Scotsman has him leaving after the WC whatever happens.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:38 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:29 pm While unlikely what if Scotland go on a miracle run at the WC, would Townsend stay on for them for another WC cycle?
If he were to win it there might be something but that's unlikely. I'd imagine the SRU are having conversations with replacements and will no doubt announce whom it will be around the same time Townsend announces where he's off to. Some rumours they've been down to New Zealand talking to Robertson (who spent some time in Scotland in his playing days) and Leon MacDonald (with that last name he'd feel at home).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:38 pm
If he were to win it there might be something but that's unlikely. I'd imagine the SRU are having conversations with replacements and will no doubt announce whom it will be around the same time Townsend announces where he's off to. Some rumours they've been down to New Zealand talking to Robertson (who spent some time in Scotland in his playing days) and Leon MacDonald (with that last name he'd feel at home).
I've read Blair is in the frame too. Makes sense as he's ready been on the coaching team
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Townsend won the RWC I feel like the SRU couldn't afford him anyway.